What are some scenes that are heavy in high school culture now?

Graduated in '94.

Nirvana, Red Hot Chili Peppers and Green Day were all the rage.

Went to this huge festival the same day I graduated: Aerosmith headlined but I went for Helmet, Sepultura and Therapy?.

It used to be about genres back in the day, not scenes :)

thank you for not making me the only 90's graduate to post so far.

graduated 09 - decent amount of ska at the time (we had a large band), your typical metalheads, mingled in. I'd guess that most people listened to dave cause I went to school in CT and I went to a tailgate for dave once and there were so many kids from my HS

Dave Matthews Band plays two shows every summer in my hometown. It's basically just thousands of HS kids drinking. Shit ruins the whole area for the weekend. My graduation was actually at the venue the day before the shows in 05. Fuck all that shit though.

I'm sure high school cliques are always the same, just different band shirts.

Graduated in '94.

Nirvana, Red Hot Chili Peppers and Green Day were all the rage.

Went to this huge festival the same day I graduated: Aerosmith headlined but I went for Helmet, Sepultura and Therapy?.

It used to be about genres back in the day, not scenes :)

Throw in some Pearl Jam and Rage Against the Machine and we could have been at the same high school.

I remember when Alternative was a genre.

had to google 'EDM'.

/old person post

You are not alone. I did the same thing.

Graduated in 03...

Yeah.

I was the guy with the GBH hoodie and sewn on patches on my messenger bag.

Operation Ivy hoodie.

Oh yes, I forgot. Any popular festival band. The Lumineers, Arcade Fire, Cage the Elephant, Arctic Monkeys, Bastille. You know...the bland shit that kids call "indie rock" these days. A few of my friends are obsessed with all those bands, and think the world revolves around them. They think those bands are "obscure" ish, compared to what most kids listen to, but really it's just radio rock marketed to be "indie", and shoved down their throats.

My one friend is freakishly obsessed with Arcade Fire. It's 75% of what he listens to, and he always plays them at get togethers. He especially loves The Suburbs because he found them in like 2012. Anyways, one day I told him Funeral was widely considered to be their magnum opus. He told me that was bullshit and just because some people on the internet think it's their best doesn't mean that it is. I proceeded to tell him that yes, it's obviously a subjective matter, but more people think it is the best than any other of their albums. He lost his mind and couldn't comprehend what I was saying and got pissed. He also refuses to like any music I show him, because he didn't find it himself. I think he's convinced that he's finding all these massive rock bands on his own.

I don't get the average music listener.

Had to sound off on this one and I cannot fathom where your friend is coming from at all! When Funeral first came out the big bands around that time were like, Paramore (watch out zay zay!! alert!!), and I don't even know what else. Funeral is the shit.

I also don't know what 'EDM' is, but I'm not even going to google it!  :P

It's short for Electronic Dance Music, an umbrella term for lots of genres. Nowadays when people talk about EDM they mostly mean House, Trap, and Dubstep.

Then there's IDM for the people who think they are a bit better than the rest. (Intelligent Dance Music)

And nb4 someone talks about how they got to see GG Allin or some other dead rock star.

I guess it's my fault for starting it...

Closest I can claim is a friend of mine's boss saw GG back in the day. That guy was fucking mad. Apparently at this show a bunch of skinheads kicked the shit out of him, and then he went back to the usual paces of shitting into his hand and throwing it.

Classic GG.

Oh yes, I forgot. Any popular festival band. The Lumineers, Arcade Fire, Cage the Elephant, Arctic Monkeys, Bastille. You know...the bland shit that kids call "indie rock" these days. A few of my friends are obsessed with all those bands, and think the world revolves around them. They think those bands are "obscure" ish, compared to what most kids listen to, but really it's just radio rock marketed to be "indie", and shoved down their throats.

My one friend is freakishly obsessed with Arcade Fire. It's 75% of what he listens to, and he always plays them at get togethers. He especially loves The Suburbs because he found them in like 2012. Anyways, one day I told him Funeral was widely considered to be their magnum opus. He told me that was bullshit and just because some people on the internet think it's their best doesn't mean that it is. I proceeded to tell him that yes, it's obviously a subjective matter, but more people think it is the best than any other of their albums. He lost his mind and couldn't comprehend what I was saying and got pissed. He also refuses to like any music I show him, because he didn't find it himself. I think he's convinced that he's finding all these massive rock bands on his own.

I don't get the average music listener.

Funeral is their best work. Period. Neon Bible is second, but even that is nowhere near Funeral. Also, I really like what you had to say. Those bands labeled as indie rock on non-indie labels. Ha!

Graduated in 04 but teach high school now. Students seem to be into tons of different things but the majority are into EDM if chaperoning school dances tell me anything. Also, students really like Imagine Dragons and Bastille and some new rap, specifically 2 Chainz, Odd Future (big time) and Schoolboy Q. This is far east coast Canada, so the trend is probably different elsewhere.

Graduated in 04 but teach high school now. Students seem to be into tons of different things but the majority are into EDM if chaperoning school dances tell me anything. Also, students really like Imagine Dragons and Bastille and some new rap, specifically 2 Chainz, Odd Future (big time) and Schoolboy Q. This is far east coast Canada, so the trend is probably different elsewhere.

Sounds like where I work.

Left in '04. There was a few people into a variety of punk/hardcore/whatever then. Everything from Blink to AN, Bigwig to Underoath and just wanted to get high & skateboard. Just moshers really. Everyone else in the school was probably into Britney Spears or Nelly or some shit. 

Not saying Nelly is shit. Because that would be an out and out lie.