World Cup 2014 Discussion

I had missed what the announcers said as to why the US was more tired than Germany. Anyone remember?

I'm sure it had to do with one less days rest than Germany, much longer travel and having their last game played in a jungle. 

Not the way I wanted to see the US advance but I'm glad to get at least one more match where I get to focus on my team. 

Bringing up national pride when it comes to USA soccer always baffles me.

In this country, we disrespect the game, call it boring, and act like it doesn't exist 3.9 out of every 4 years. Then the World Cup comes and everyone all the sudden is bleeding soccer pride.

As someone who follows the sport religiously, big EPL supporter, its frustrating. It's one of the reasons I can't support the USA.

we also only like figure skating, track & field, and swimming during the olympics. it's standing up for those who fight for the flag. i'm a fucking american, and i want to see america fucking win.

If Ronaldo had put in his fucking like 8 clear chances today we would be through instead of USA. This WC deserves to be wiped from my memory. Disaster from day one - Pepe red card, Ronaldo not fit, then Patricio, Beto, Coentrão, Almieda, Postiga all getting injured? Fuck me. Glad we at least won a damn game

Ronaldo did botch a few of those. But that Ghana keeper was on fire as well.

Bringing up national pride when it comes to USA soccer always baffles me.

In this country, we disrespect the game, call it boring, and act like it doesn't exist 3.9 out of every 4 years. Then the World Cup comes and everyone all the sudden is bleeding soccer pride.

As someone who follows the sport religiously, big EPL supporter, its frustrating. It's one of the reasons I can't support the USA.

I like how you point to EPL and not MLS while talking about why American's aren't as dedicated to Soccer. First, the Portugal vs US game attracted 25 million viewers in the US - not including streaming viewers. This is a sign of the sports growing popularity here. The real issue is reflective of why you point to EPL, the domestic product in the US was terrible for years. MLS is certainly getting better and that is reflected in the viability of the clubs and the crowds they are attracting.

To explain why it is so unpopular in the US for so long you need to back to the 70's and the Pele/Cosmos explosion. Professional soccer was practically a scam back in the day. Pele attracted a huge following and instead of allowing the sport to grow naturally here with this sudden popularity the league expanded to 30 teams, many in tiny markets, and diluted an already weak overall talent pool. This ultimately lead to the sports collapse here.

American consumers and sports fans have pretty long memories and when it comes to sports they have little tolerance for a poor product. For instance: Anytime a sport has strike or lockout it takes a couple season at minimum for fans to fully return due to the betrayal they feel. Another example: Let's pick on The Mets - they are in the largest market but their attendance is in the toilet since ownership won't spend on a competitive roster. This is what happened to soccer in the US and it didn't return to America until several years ago and only became a strong league in the past few seasons and still has a way to go.

I don't expect people in the UK for instance to give a shit about Olympic baseball or the World Baseball Cup - they don't have pro leagues for those sports and I know they mostly give two shits less about MLB. I also wouldn't act high and might and fault them for cheering on a UK team in either of those tournaments - identifying with a team during a big even regardless of your dedication to the sport sure beats opting to cheer for another nation you have no connection to. 

I like how you point to EPL and not MLS while talking about why American's aren't as dedicated to Soccer. First, the Portugal vs US game attracted 25 million viewers in the US - not including streaming viewers. This is a sign of the sports growing popularity here. The real issue is reflective of why you point to EPL, the domestic product in the US was terrible for years. MLS is certainly getting better and that is reflected in the viability of the clubs and the crowds they are attracting.

To explain why it is so unpopular in the US for so long you need to back to the 70's and the Pele/Cosmos explosion. Professional soccer was practically a scam back in the day. Pele attracted a huge following and instead of allowing the sport to grow naturally here with this sudden popularity the league expanded to 30 teams, many in tiny markets, and diluted an already weak overall talent pool. This ultimately lead to the sports collapse here.

American consumers and sports fans have pretty long memories and when it comes to sports they have little tolerance for a poor product. For instance: Anytime a sport has strike or lockout it takes a couple season at minimum for fans to fully return due to the betrayal they feel. Another example: Let's pick on The Mets - they are in the largest market but their attendance is in the toilet since ownership won't spend on a competitive roster. This is what happened to soccer in the US and it didn't return to America until several years ago and only became a strong league in the past few seasons and still has a way to go.

I don't expect people in the UK for instance to give a shit about Olympic baseball or the World Baseball Cup - they don't have pro leagues for those sports and I know they mostly give two shits less about MLB. I also wouldn't act high and might and fault them for cheering on a UK team in either of those tournaments - identifying with a team during a big even regardless of your dedication to the sport sure beats opting to cheer for another nation you have no connection to.

300ccadb_05-The-Rock.gif

300ccadb_05-The-Rock.gif

MLS is all fucked up. The league owns all the teams. Their is a salary cap around 2.5 million but each team can designate up to 3 players to have a max cap hit of 335k. They can then pay those dudes whatever they want out of their revenue.

So older stars can make 3m or whatever really but only count as 335k to the cap. Obviously they do it for marketing purposes. If the league really takes off I'm sure all this would change.

MLS is all fucked up. The league owns all the teams. Their is a salary cap around 2.5 million but each team can designate up to 3 players to have a max cap hit of 335k. They can then pay those dudes whatever they want out of their revenue.

So older stars can make 3m or whatever really but only count as 335k to the cap. Obviously they do it for marketing purposes. If the league really takes off I'm sure all this would change.

so salary cap is 2.5m across all players in a team? it's actually not a bad system, obviously it'd have to change to get the biggest stars but it's better than being able to have a sugar daddy footing the bill for any player that takes their fancy.

The MLS Wikipedia page is surprisingly interesting. I just looked it up. It seems like the league pays the 2.6 mil for all teams, but 17 of the 19 teams have unique "investor-operators" who function like owners. They allocate the money and also can use team specific revenue(or perhaps money from any source?) to sign those designated players at any cost, but only 3 per team.

Back in 2001 I lived in Boston for a few months. My apartment in Alston was around the corner from where the Boston Breakers played back in the days of the short lived Women's league. (I guess there is another league now) I was so damn broke at that time and it was $5 to get in and all food was dirt cheap. I got to see a bunch of the women's world cup players. I was at the Univ of Florida the year they won the NCAA Title with Abby Wambach so it was a natural carryover since I went to every game that season (playing co-ed soccer and having no men's team + being a sports nut will do that to you).  Good times but another example of soccer coming and going in an ill manner in the US. 

MLS is taking a very smart growth approach.