MAN ADVICE v2.0

One of my biggest pet peeves is when people say shit like "dating apps are ruining peoples social skills". It's such an insensitive statement to me.

I think phones in general are ruining peoples social skills. look at kids in high school right now. They don’t have to call a house phone and risk a girls dad/brother picking up. They can send the same text/facebook message/kik/yikyak/whatever out to 10 different girls and see if they get any hits. People our age will be okay because we grew up without cell phones and the internet. It’s the children who are getting cell phones at 8 years old that I’m worried about.

I see people in stores waiting to check out just glazed over staring at their phones. it’s that bad that you can’t be alone with your own thoughts for 5 minutes? shit. what happened to small talk in line? and job interviews, you can’t just text your answers in and hide behind your phone.

I think phones in general are ruining peoples social skills. look at kids in high school right now. They don’t have to call a house phone and risk a girls dad/brother picking up. They can send the same text/facebook message/kik/yikyak/whatever out to 10 different girls and see if they get any hits. People our age will be okay because we grew up without cell phones and the internet. It’s the children who are getting cell phones at 8 years old that I’m worried about.

I see people in stores waiting to check out just glazed over staring at their phones. it’s that bad that you can’t be alone with your own thoughts for 5 minutes? shit. what happened to small talk in line? and job interviews, you can’t just text your answers in and hide behind your phone.

Spot on. Really grateful I grew up in the 80s/90s with real interaction.

Also, I love how Eli wants to meet the sexy British people and I just want smarties. Lol

I will go to England for the smarties :wub:

Chris, I still have 3 packs left. I'm slowly eating them :D

I'm riding out this smarties high.

Did you hear about the Jelly Baby who went to school?

He wanted to become a smartie!

I can't believe you still have some left. Stronger willpower than me.

Hahaha. So THATS Alice. lol.

;)

And just to be clear, I have a lot of celeb crushes but its just silly fantasy. My real life crushes are not these ridiculously unattainable & sexed up versions of what society thinks females should be. In the end I'd rather have an "everyday" girl than these Hollywood archetypes.

Also, I love how Eli wants to meet the sexy British people and I just want smarties. Lol

I will go to England for the smarties :wub:

Chris, I still have 3 packs left. I'm slowly eating them :D

I'm riding out this smarties high.

The only sexy Brit I really want is McCandless ;)

And dont lie, you know you want to meet Neville Longbottom!

I can totally see phones getting in the way of social interaction with strangers, but it's just "social" media and "social" interactions through a phone instead of through a person.  I think it's rude to be on the phone and at a store, buying coffee, but even I am a culprit.  I pay with my phone for starbucks and so I'm looking down trying to open the app while ordering, so it's rude but not rude at the same time.

People thought my generation would be fucked from Grand Theft Auto.  It's just times are changing too fast and we look at the youngsters with disgust cause they grow up and do things differently than we do.  I don't believe people will lose social skills because of their phones - I don't think they are going to be friendly to strangers anyways.