MAN ADVICE v2.0

I can totally see phones getting in the way of social interaction with strangers, but it's just "social" media and "social" interactions through a phone instead of through a person. I think it's rude to be on the phone and at a store, buying coffee, but even I am a culprit. I pay with my phone for starbucks and so I'm looking down trying to open the app while ordering, so it's rude but not rude at the same time.

People thought my generation would be fucked from Grand Theft Auto. It's just times are changing too fast and we look at the youngsters with disgust cause they grow up and do things differently than we do. I don't believe people will lose social skills because of their phones - I don't think they are going to be friendly to strangers anyways.

I respectfully disagree with you. I really don't think GTA is even on the same level as cell phone/internet in terms of impact on society.

Just out of curiosity, do you usually text a girl you met online for a date, or do you call her?

I just know my girlfriends would be like, 'AHHH, he actually CALLED me for a date!!' when a dude would call. speaks volumes for him.

Madie has a really good point.

I normally am not a fan of talking on the phone, mostly because I do have a stutter and that's why the internet/texting is a big crutch for me. Most people don't even notice, but it's enough to get me flustered when I talk. I like that I think myself through when it comes to typing something than searching for my words on the phone or in person. That doesn't make it acceptable! I'm still learning really hard how to present myself in real life to strangers which is why I want to work in fields that encourage me to do so. Touring, retail, etc. I constantly end up with people going "but if you have social anxiety, why would you want to do those things..." because it forces me to grow and learn how to interact.

A lot of my friends have complimented me lately on how much more vocal I'm becoming ^_^

The guy that I currently have ~*feelings*~ for would much rather call than text. It used to really bother me because he has a tendency to ignore texts and then bring them up hours (or days) later when he has a chance to call. Now that I'm getting used to it, our calls honestly last anywhere from his 30 minute drive to work to believe it or not...4 hours. I think it's a really huge thing even for just our friendship since we live so many states away. Now if we could only call or text, I would definitely choose call and that's a strange thing for me.

The internet is SO important but how people use it is the problem. I definitely side with Madie here.

Meeting your friends or significant others on the internet isn't a bad thing...only communicating with them through text/facebook chat/social media is. Not communicating with the people around you because you're on your phone is bad.

I respectfully disagree with you. I really don't think GTA is even on the same level as cell phone/internet in terms of impact on society.

Just out of curiosity, do you usually text a girl you met online for a date, or do you call her?

I just know my girlfriends would be like, 'AHHH, he actually CALLED me for a date!!' when a dude would call. speaks volumes for him.

that was something that crossed my mind recently.. how much more of an impact that i'd be likely to make if i called a girl rather than texting her. something i've been meaning to employ.

Meeting your friends or significant others on the internet isn't a bad thing...only communicating with them through text/facebook chat/social media is. Not communicating with the people around you because you're on your phone is bad.

That sums it all up for me.

People don't even know I post here as some people would find it weird. However I would have no problems meeting someone on the internet, but once I know someone I want to call them. I hate texting.

I don't know if I've ever called for a first date. (well I did when I was in middle school and was denied then and there). 

I don't like talking on the phone because I can't do anything else while I'm on the phone, BUT every now and then I really do want to lay in bed and chat on the phone till I fall asleep.  Thanks to tinder haha I can ask almost anyone and just talk to talk. 

It's been a loooong time for me since I've met a stranger that I actually liked liked liked, and I like to think I'd put the extra effort and bring flowers on first date and call them to ask and be really cute but usually I know before I meet them that I don't want more than hoook up or company ( I'm straightforward about it ).

Meeting people on the internet is the best. I have really bad social anxiety and regular anxiety, so talking over the internet or text takes a huge amount of pressure off. Calling someone on the phone is also a huge anxiety trigger for me. It's absolutely terrifying. I feel like calling is being way too intrusive. A text is like "Hey, when you get a chance..." but a call is like "I DEMAND WE SPEAK AND RIGHT NOW" There are 3 people I feel comfortable calling on the phone and one of them is now my ex.

Also, most of my friends are internet friends. I feel like there's still a bit of stigma, but it's from old people and stuck up people so who cares. My 21 year old coworker said online dating or meeting people online in general was really weird, so shit got real as I told her she was bad and wrong. I have internet friends that I've known longer than my closest "real life" friends. Met at least a dozen of them too. The worst part about internet friends is not being able to actually hang out all the time.

I can relate to all of that, Brucey.

If you look at my call log, it's seriously a boy, my mom, and work. My friends and I skype when we have a chance but it's rarely ever a phone call just because we're all so busy. The nice thing about all my internet friends is that sometimes we go a few weeks without texting and we can go years without seeing each other, but the second we reunite it's like we've never been apart.

There is definitely a vulnerability there when you talk to someone over the phone that's not there while texting. It's uncomfortable, but once you do it, then it gets better. I am one of those who hates talking on the phone, but I will always answer if someone calls me. I don't get too many phone calls anyway so I don't worry about it too much. 

Meeting people online has always been easier for me than meeting people out in the real world. Some people know this story, but I'll share it again. :D   I actually met my current boyfriend of 9 years on myspace while I was in College. Turned out we both went to the same High School and were in the same class but never knew each other.  The messaging quickly turned into hours of talking over the phone every night for weeks before we ever met each other.

It was definitely more awkward 9 years ago saying I met someone online than it is now. With all the dating sites and apps, people are much more accepting of meeting people through the internet. 

As long as we're talking about online friends and IRL friends...

Do any of your IRL friends ever give you a really dismissive eye roll if you ever try to bring up a discussion you had on the Internet? As if whatever you're talking about is completely pointless once you try to cross the barrier of computer conversation to people conversation?

I don't bring up the internet to my RL friends because, generally speaking, they don't have any fucks to give. And I don't really blame them, if someone was trying to tell me about something that happened on their forum I don't think I'd care. That shit needs to be seen or experienced in context or not at all.

Also, shame on you dudes for texting girls first if they give you their number! 

If I'm having a casual conversation and I bring up something from the internet I usually just don't specify it was on the internet because it doesn't matter. Most of my friends also have internet friends, so no one thinks it's weird. We've hung out with some of each other's internet friends and everyone has been super cool.

my friends don’t even know what a forum is (neither did I until this place) so I usually just say ‘you know, the people I talk about/trade records with’ and they kind of understand.

if i’m just citing something I read online in general, oh lord all my friends make fun of me because I’m always like 'i read this online, I read that online, i saw something online’ and it doesn’t sound credible lol. Think oscar from the office with his actuallys. Jimmy told me to say ‘I read an article’ instead. it sounds more legit I guess haha.

I don't like talking on the phone because I can't do anything else while I'm on the phone, 

That is the reason I PREFER the phone. I get distracted if the person I am talking to is multitasking. It honestly throws me off. I feel I shouldn't be bothering them if they have something to do. A good portion of communication is subtlety, and most modern technological forms of communication (like texting) have stripped that away.