Pelican?

Just force new listeners to listen to the full version of March into the Sea, then Australasia, catch them up with the latest, and let them go from there. Curious to see what this is. Live dvd was enough live for me. Still when I've seen them in person drums are just ignored background noise to the guitars.

Man, City of Echoes was the album that got me into Pelican. I didn't know so many people didn't like it.

Likewise. Actually, City of Echoes changed my taste in music completely. It was also the first vinyl that I ever bought. I'm forever grateful to Pelican for making music. Plus they're sweet dudes. 

Everyone always gives Larry Herweg a bad rep. His style may be different, but personally I think that he is perfect for Pelican.

Just force new listeners to listen to the full version of March into the Sea, then Australasia, catch them up with the latest, and let them go from there. Curious to see what this is. Live dvd was enough live for me. Still when I've seen them in person drums are just ignored background noise to the guitars.

Phew took someone long enough to mention their actual best release -- The March Into The Sea EP.

Agreed, especially since their drummer is always a hair behind live. Anything else I'll likely open my wallet for.

He's always a hair behind period. Even on the records. Either way, that dude is the reason why Pelican remains the worst band I've ever seen life. Sounded like two different bands playing at once.

Interesting pick.  I actually think Australasia is among their weaker releases; I probably wouldn't be a fan of the band if that was my first stepping stone.

Australasia is easily my favorite. And Drought is my favorite song they've written. Most of their other albums kinda bore me tbh. 

Also, I'm a drummer but I kinda like their drummer. At least on the albums (I've never seen them live, and it's been a while since I watched the DVD I have). He's definitely the weakest link, but I actually think his somewhat sloppy and 'stiff' playing adds a bit of character to the music, which I like. 

In that case, can we all agree to avoid City of Echoes?

I have to agree. That's the one that I skip over.

I'm going to pass on this live album as well.

Ouch. At least he doesn't stitch together 50 takes for the drum track of one song.

I'm pretty sure this dude needs quite a few takes prior to finishing a song in the studio. At least Lars hits hard live. 

I think the Pelican guy would sound better if he just beat the shit outta his drums live. Even if he's still slightly off time people are a lot more forgiving when the dude behind the drum kit beats them like he's psychotic.