PayPal foreign currency Discrepancies

I don't know if this should go here or Everything Else, but I just bought a record on Discogs from Germany and noticed this. I have noticed this in the past as well (even on eBay). I am talking about paying for an item and it comes out to be more than expected. I bought a 7" for €14.30 and according to XE.com that should be around $19.45 but PayPal claimed the exchange was $19.95? I know it's only slightly more but it is still troublesome. 

So my question is, is PayPal adding some fees on my end when I pay? 

I don't know if this should go here or Everything Else, but I just bought a record on Discogs from Germany and noticed this. I have noticed this in the past as well (even on eBay). I am talking about paying for an item and it comes out to be more than expected. I bought a 7" for €14.30 and according to XE.com that should be around $19.45 but PayPal claimed the exchange was $19.95? I know it's only slightly more but it is still troublesome. 

So my question is, is PayPal adding some fees on my end when I pay? 

This exactly! When I pre-ordered De-loused in the Comatorium & Amputechture, I pre-ordered them at separate times. When I PO'd De-loused, I had the money in my paypal account and it took out something like $47 CAD, but, when I PO'd Amputechture I had to use my debit card/bank account and it came up to $49. That's what paypal charged me. 

Yes, PP exchange rate is about 3% higher than the going currency exchange rate (I usually make <$100 purchases), so they get another 3% ---and if you pay with a CC, they also have an exchange rate fee to tack one, so I usually do those purchases directly out of my bank acct.

and PP seller fees went up not too long ago for the little selling I do, from about 3% to 4% 

Convenience does cost.

Convenience does cost.

I'm 38 years old and was buying records off eBay prior to Paypal's creation and waaaaay before it was commonly used.

Before you were lucky if an international seller would take US currency as payment but would often times have to get an international money order/cashiers check. Not only did this cost quite a bit more than your average paypal fee but you had to drive to get the damn thing, then go to the post office to ship it, pay for the international shipping to get the payment there and have the added excitement of seeing if the payment actually arrived.

So ya, you're totally right. 50 cent conversion fee is pretty cheap & easy in comparison.