The Official Pizza Thread.

PIZZAAAAAA!  I'm a New York guy more often than not, but Chicago style deep dish certainly has a place in my heart!  Here in Portland, my go to pizza joints are:

Sizzle Pie, the Heart Attack Man is BONKERS, pretty much all their pizzas are good though. (more NY style)

Via Chicago has some awesome stuff. Chicago style deep dish, der.)

aaaaand my number one choice lately has been Pinky's The Buscemi is IN.SANE. yum.

PIZZAAAAAA!  I'm a New York guy more often than not, but Chicago style deep dish certainly has a place in my heart!  Here in Portland, my go to pizza joints are:

Sizzle Pie, the Heart Attack Man is BONKERS, pretty much all their pizzas are good though. (more NY style)

Via Chicago has some awesome stuff. Chicago style deep dish, der.)

aaaaand my number one choice lately has been Pinky's The Buscemi is IN.SANE. yum.

All of these are amazing it's true, but me? Well i guess i'm just a Hammy's guy.

Though, i do find Hot Lips surprisingly delicious for a small chain. 

All of these are amazing it's true, but me? Well i guess i'm just a Hammy's guy.

Though, i do find Hot Lips surprisingly delicious for a small chain.

It may be hard to believe, but I don't think I've ever been to hot lips before... And I've never heard if hammy's, I'll have to try it!

I've got no idea what the difference is between New York and Chicago style. Someone enlighten me.

Also. Pizza should never have pineapple. At all ever. I live pineapple. It just shouldn't be on a pizza.

Same as BBQ sauce. NO!

Also. 3 toppings plus cheese maximum.

Can we talk about what makes a great pizza?

For me it's a great thin crust with a little air about it. No thick crust, not wafer thin.

And pepper. Always fresh cracked pepper

I have eaten quite a few different pizza in the US...don't know all the styles etc, but all of them were quite good!

Nevertheless, I prefer the relatively thin, stone oven pizza. Normally, I'd say my favorites would be with:

- Salmon, Tomato & rocket(?)/rucola

- Chicken, Corn, Pepper & Onions

But I found myself to go "regular" lately...pepperoni & mushrooms or pepperoni & balsamic onions!

Man, I love pizza!

I've never been to Antonio's, but I will say that pizza in and around Springfield, MA is friggin' awesome.  I really don't understand how it's not recognized as its own style of pizza (New York, New Haven, Chicago, Detroit, etc.).  Its comparable to a brick oven/Italian style but the crust is thicker and its cut into squares (even when the pizza itself is circular).  Also, a "small" is equivalent to a large in most other places.  

Anyways, my efforts to make pizza at home are fun, but they usually aren't as good as something you would order.  My favorite ones to make at home are potato pizzas (because not a lot of places actually do them out in the suburbs where I am).  i cheat a lot though.  I buy dough (usually from Whole Foods but sometimes from pizza places around me) and I slice up the roasted potatoes from the deli case at Whole Foods for toppings.  Here's a pic (I also put spinach on this one).

10352323_10101647590093059_2536197127447

Also, for all my earlier praise of Western MA pizza, my uncles think I'm absolutely batshit insane for thinking potatoes and/or spinach goes well on a pizza.  

Antonio's Pizza out here in Western Mass is the undeniable tops.

Except for when they smother a slice/pie in sour cream.

I've never heard of this sour cream smothered pizza...hrm.

I've never been to Antonio's, but I will say that pizza in and around Springfield, MA is friggin' awesome.  I really don't understand how it's not recognized as its own style of pizza (New York, New Haven, Chicago, Detroit, etc.).  Its comparable to a brick oven/Italian style but the crust is thicker and its cut into squares (even when the pizza itself is circular).  Also, a "small" is equivalent to a large in most other places.  

Anyways, my efforts to make pizza at home are fun, but they usually aren't as good as something you would order.  My favorite ones to make at home are potato pizzas (because not a lot of places actually do them out in the suburbs where I am).  i cheat a lot though.  I buy dough (usually from Whole Foods but sometimes from pizza places around me) and I slice up the roasted potatoes from the deli case at Whole Foods for toppings.  Here's a pic (I also put spinach on this one).

10352323_10101647590093059_2536197127447

Also, for all my earlier praise of Western MA pizza, my uncles think I'm absolutely batshit insane for thinking potatoes and/or spinach goes well on a pizza.  

Potato on pizza is the jam, that's part of what makes The Buscemi at Pinky's so good!

I've never heard of this sour cream smothered pizza...hrm.

Potato on pizza is the jam, that's part of what makes The Buscemi at Pinky's so good!

Had potato on pizza once and really couldn't think of two things that make a worse combination...just so wrong!

BUT: there's so much pizza talk, I think I'll go out and grab one right now!

Nirchi's & Pudgies in the Binghamton/Cortland area are pretty good. A little undercooked so you just gotta order them well done.

I haven't had Pudgie's in foreverrrrr! You ever had Cam's? My parents live on Keuka lake, I meant to get some Pudgie's when I visited them last!