[PO] *Ancients – Star Showers On The Euphrates – FFO *Shels

Ancients-Star-Showers-On-The-Euphrates.j

I believe there are a few *Shels fans on this board... and even though *Ancients is basically *Shels + Rinoa, I feel like their sound is essentially Plains Of The Purple Buffalo, but with more atmosphere and spacey stargazing ambiance.  Really quality stuff.  Anyone curious to have a listen can check out this link.

SSOTE is *Ancients' only release, and I've been hoping that it would see a vinyl release for a while now.  *Shels' label is finally making it happen.  Their approach is a little odd; it's essentially a Kickstarter in disguise.  They need at least 100 orders before they'll print it, and there doesn't appear to be a way to gauge how close they are to their quota without contacting the band.  The price is also a little rough; $20 + $6 shipping for a single LP.  But if you've purchased any *Shels albums - or anything from their label - you know that you're getting a quality product.  And *Shels vinyl, from my experience, tends to skyrocket once it sells out.  The way I see it, they're probably going to print this *Ancients album to meet orders, and not much extra – 100, 200, or maybe 300 copies, tops.  Since the demand won't be that great afterwards, I can't imagine there being a repress for a long, long time.  Sort of a "now or never" deal.

The band / label has confirmed that the vinyl will be colored, and on a variant "never before seen by human eyes".  An exaggeration, sure... but a figurative "ultra"-violet or an "infra"-red would be amazing.  Can't wait to see what they come up with.

Anyway.  Figured I'd spread the news in hopes of bumping it closer to reality.  I think I'm going to hop on board pretty soon here.  I'm not smitten with the price, but the release is incredible and the funds are going straight to *Shels.  Works for me.

Order here.

Never before seen by human eyes? Tri-colored, no, make that quintuplet colored (1color is splattered), liquid-filled, triple decker 100" flexi, 3-sided, plays-from-the-inside-out, etched 7th side, vinyl only picture disk!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ;)

*Shels will probably commission Third Man Records to handle the press.

• 2 weeks later...

Bump for September. The band just posted that they're at 50 of 100 pre-orders. Their goal is to do a one-time press of 300, and they only need about 50 more orders to make it happen. First 100 orders will contain lots of free goodies as well.

I'll be ordering come payday, so that's another +1. I think it'll happen.

• 2 weeks later...

As planned, I did my part yesterday, being payday and all. Really hoping those last 20 orders are cleared in time.

I'm ordering this tonight. Loving what I'm hearing out of this album.

:) :)

I'm starting to get into their Mahumodo era as well-- and if you told me I would be into anything like that 2 years ago I would have scoffed.

• 5 weeks later...

Did you guys see this??

2yvwg90.jpg

"***ANCIENTS VINYL UPDATE - hey everyone - so, the masters and artwork for "Star Showers..." are off to Pirates Press and here's a sneak peek at the Artwork for the Gatefold (inside & out) - we're using thick (28pt) card for the jacket as we have with all our previous vinyl - and for the vinyl itself we'll be using 5 different opaque colors with a mix of splatter and A side B side effects if you haven't ordered a copy yet you can grab one at www.shelsmusic.com - we're only pressing 300, so don't miss out!

Hoping to have them back from the factory in 2 months and as soon as we do we'll be shipping them out - hopefully before the XMAS rush!

!

Did you not order as well, Don?

Yes I was in the first 100 :)  extra goodies...oooohhh. I love Medhi medi...

Was being a bit cheeky with duder up there about the artwork comment  :rolleyes:

Someone hook me up with Mahumodo Waves /300  Only 14 people registered in Discogs!!! Another friggin' black hole.  Where are they??

I'll probably start a want to by thread when I get back in town.

me wants it :)

Yes I was in the first 100 :)  extra goodies...oooohhh. I love Medhi medi...

Was being a bit cheeky with duder up there about the artwork comment  :rolleyes:

Someone hook me up with Mahumodo Waves /300  Only 14 people registered in Discogs!!! Another friggin' black hole.  Where are they??

I'll probably start a want to by thread when I get back in town.

me wants it :)

those mahumodos took forever to sell out too. i bought it and shels first LP thinking wow can't believe these have lasted but Plains is on its second press.....i would love to see Devil Sold His Soul's A Fragile Hope pressed.

What's this about extra goodies? I was like #80ish.

Nothing major prob just stickers and jank.

On the shelsmusic site a while ago they had inadvertently mislisted Purple Plains colors as 1st press and orders were taking a while (shipping high $$ and I thought coming from Iceland vs.LA for some reason?) - anyways medi emailed back, very cool, apologized and I thought that was that. He ended up sending a first press from his personal stash. That and great music is how to win a fan for life.