The Original Cassette Collective Thread

anyone have recommendations on a good stereo cassette deck/recorder? 

For what you are doing anything 3 head. Ideally a Studer, Revox or Nakamichi but Aiwa and JVC made some nice 3 head decks that didn't get the recognition they deserved. Pioneer, Technics, Sony and Onkyo also did nice 3 heads but more people look for those and Akai, Yamaha and Rotel tend to be 2 head.

I expect for what you want it for mechanical and electrical condition will be the most important things though

For what you are doing anything 3 head. Ideally a Studer, Revox or Nakamichi but Aiwa and JVC made some nice 3 head decks that didn't get the recognition they deserved. Pioneer, Technics, Sony and Onkyo also did nice 3 heads but more people look for those and Akai, Yamaha and Rotel tend to be 2 head.

I expect for what you want it for mechanical and electrical condition will be the most important things though

I'll be putting a line in to it for recording a master tape from my lap top. You think I'll need different tapes for the master or will the same ones im dubbing to be fine?

Just make sure the masters are at least chrome type II tapes and if you can do it only use them once.

There were some Korean made Goldstar chrome tapes doing the rounds that were pretty good quality and cheap.

Tape decks like certain makes of tapes and most were set up to use standard TDK's and it can be a bit of trial and error to find a tape type your machine sounds best with and nowadays once you find that tape you have to try and make sure you can keep a good supply of them.

I expect your dubbing tapes will be normal type I TDK or BASF types which will be absolutely fine for that but the masters ideally need to be better quality.

Use a decent enough machine and decent enough blanks and your masters should sound very good, certainly nicer and fatter sounding than the digital originals.

People wrongly made out that cassette was a poor medium but that's just not true and even more so when CD came out, just like crap turntables a crap tape deck will give poor sound and good kit will give a good sound.

Just make sure the masters are at least chrome type II tapes and if you can do it only use them once.

There were some Korean made Goldstar chrome tapes doing the rounds that were pretty good quality and cheap.

Tape decks like certain makes of tapes and most were set up to use standard TDK's and it can be a bit of trial and error to find a tape type your machine sounds best with and nowadays once you find that tape you have to try and make sure you can keep a good supply of them.

I expect your dubbing tapes will be normal type I TDK or BASF types which will be absolutely fine for that but the masters ideally need to be better quality.

Use a decent enough machine and decent enough blanks and your masters should sound very good, certainly nicer and fatter sounding than the digital originals.

People wrongly made out that cassette was a poor medium but that's just not true and even more so when CD came out, just like crap turntables a crap tape deck will give poor sound and good kit will give a good sound.

Alright, thanks a lot for the info! It's surprisingly hard to find info online about tapes and decks.

Also, does anyone know how Eyetooth gets the printing on the cassette AFTER he dips them?

Hand made insert for a one-off Dowsing cassette. I had this great idea when I started and it slowly went down hill when I realized I'm not that great at arts & crafts. The insert is reversible with an alternate cover on the back side. 

s9hV32U.jpgD2iXP5h.jpg

Looks good dude. I've designed /  made some cassette inserts before, so if you want any album art ideas facilitating hit me up. I've got a j-card template set up in Illustrator.

Looks good dude. I've designed /  made some cassette inserts before, so if you want any album art ideas facilitating hit me up. I've got a j-card template set up in Illustrator.

I might have to sometime. I have an idea in mind of how I want to do them, it's just getting them to paper that's gonna be the issue. Not sure on the sizes and portions to fold.

I might have to sometime. I have an idea in mind of how I want to do them, it's just getting them to paper that's gonna be the issue. Not sure on the sizes and portions to fold.

Yeah man, that's the part I can do no problem hit me up with your ideas and I can make them right size / arrangement for printing or whatever

Some of the older label printing software used to have cassette inserts and labels as standard formats which if you could find it you could use to do mock ups.

Avery is one that springs to mind.

Some of the older label printing software used to have cassette inserts and labels as standard formats which if you could find it you could use to do mock ups.

Avery is one that springs to mind.

I'll have to look them up. For the most part the idea I have in mind is pretty simple. Basically just like what I did with the handmade one but nicer looking. Where the inside has the setlist and band info reading like a book. And the front would have a photo from the show on it.