PO: Purity Ring - 'another eternity'

Push Pull had me interested, but the new song didn't do much for me. It did take me a while to get into Push Pull, though, so maybe I just have to give it some time. For now, I'm just gonna wait until the album is up on Spotify and give it a few listens before I decide to buy it at all.

(Also, not that it matters much, but I got my teal copy of Shrines from my local shop a few months after it was released, and I too was under the impression that teal is/was just the retail variant.)

I'm pretty sure teal was just the first pressing. When it came out everyone had teal. 4AD, the record stores here, even Urban. I never saw another variant for a couple of years. The black must be the second pressing.

This is excluding the pink copies that were the first ones sold by the band.

I mean I've only heard about 4 songs from the new album, but unless you were seriously hoping for a drastic change in their sound, I don't really know how you could be disappointed in it.

It is a drastic change then, they removed almost all the dark aspects of the beats, got way poppier, and added some weird edm aspects that just didn't fit. Not to mention some of the melodies are just extremely off putting.

It is a drastic change then, they removed almost all the dark aspects of the beats, got way poppier, and added some weird edm aspects that just didn't fit. Not to mention some of the melodies are just extremely off putting.

I mean I hear all of that so far and I'm not sure if I like it as much either...but it's unmistakably Purity Ring.

I'm waiting for the record to show up until I listen to the album, but I'm not holding on to much hope for it. I love Shrines, and aside from the music itself, I just love how dark the album it. The lyrics are like a horror movie in pop music form, its a great contrast. The two singles I've heard from the new album are way lighter and more basic, and the lyric content certainly doesn't have the creep factor.

I'm holding off on a full listen until I have time to sit down with the album from start to finish, but I will say that Push Pull has grown on me considerably after 2-3 listens.  To the point where it's actually been stuck in my head as of late, at random.  I did admire the sort of "dark pop" vibes of Shrines, but I don't think the lack of them would ruin the new album for me.  I guess we'll see.

I'll be waiting it out for the vinyl before I listen to anything else. in that interview they were talking about sparse and minimalist electronic music and how it fits well with cold and snow cover environments like where they did the writing and recording. based on the visuals and the vibes I'm getting from the tracks I have heard, I think they are going for a different mood with this album. less dark and more transcendent. I personally find the songs on Shrines to be more unique and more interesting. But, I'd rather listen to something different than a remake of the last album...

then again, I might hate it. haha.

Two songs in so far. Bodyache is just fantastic. So glad I convinced myself the album would be better than the two songs they released. I can already feel this album is going to get a lot of replay value this Spring. As much as I loved Shrines and the overall darker feel, it will be nice to have a more uplifting tracklist to choose from.