Getting rid of whatever this is... static maybe?

So with static I see lost of people having problems with static differently than I do. Heck it might not even be "static" for all I know, as I'm still relatively a noobie with vinyl. So others say that it makes the mat stick to the record, I don't have this problem. For me every time either the singer or a certain instrument plays, a bunch of this static plays practically in tune to what is being tracked. Is this the static people are talking about, and what's the best way that's very cost effective to get rid of this? I do use a Vinyl Styl anti-static brush to get rid of surface dust but it does nothing for the in-groove "static".

Video of what I'm talking about - Queen "Liar" US Elektra pressing 

(Edit: Finally got the video to post)

Compare it to the 20 second mark of the song the way it normally sounds. For some reason you can't hear as good it through speakers, has to be heard through headphones, which is how I listen to all my music.

So with static I see lost of people having problems with static differently than I do. Heck it might not even be "static" for all I know, as I'm still relatively a noobie with vinyl. So others say that it makes the mat stick to the record, I don't have this problem. For me every time either the singer or a certain instrument plays, a bunch of this static plays practically in tune to what is being tracked. Is this the static people are talking about, and what's the best way that's very cost effective to get rid of this? I do use a Vinyl Styl anti-static brush to get rid of surface dust but it does nothing for the in-groove "static".

Anti static guns exist. They're pricey, but there's a diy method to make one.

Dude, this is the second or third theead you've started about this. What you're hearing isn't static, it's called sibilance and it can be caused a few things or even a combination of them. Here's what we know so far (from this and other threads):

-You're playing records on a LP60. The LP60 cannot adjust its counter weight, or have its cartridge changed, two things that can help with this problem. I'm not sure if the LP60 can even have the attached cartridge adjusted or if it's set in place. The LP60 also has a built in preamp, I'm not sure what amp you are using, but make sure it's attached to line level in on the amp not a phono in(if your amp even has one).

-The record you are playing is either a new Queen reissue, which sounds very poor/is pressed poorly(as discussed in your other thread that you abandoned), or it's an old copy that could be very worn. Both scenarios will produce distortion like you are describing.

So, if this problem is happening with records besides the Queen record, then it is your LP60. Check to make sure your stylus is straight, not bent. Even a little bit off center can cause tracking errors. Make sure the stylus is clean, large fuzz balls on the stylus can cause problems. If the problem is only on the Queen record, well then, it's just that record.

The other thread I made centered around the Vinyl Styl record cleaner, and passively mentioned the static problem. 

I thought sibilence only applied to the "s" sound when a singer sings it or high hats. And it doesn't happen on every record, only certain parts of albums, in this case on the intro to "Liar". The distortion/static you can hear on the left channel of the video I posted and I know for a fact it's not supposed to be there. On a Copy of Iron Maiden's debut the song "Charlotte the Harlot" has the same problem, just that track.

My copy of Queen I is, as I stated, the US '73 Elektra pressing, the one with the white Queen logo not the gold Queen emossed logo. 

In all seriousness, it sounds like you just need a better turntable and cartridge dude. There's really not much you can do aside from what's already been mentioned in making sure both the records and stylus are clean. ditch the LP60 and save up for something that doesn't sound bad.

I don't think it's the turntable (even though yes I will eventually upgrade). If it was, this would be on every record and it's only on a few parts of a few records that I have out of like 40 that I currently own. Still, it's really annoying and it sounds the worst on those albums that I mentioned.

reading through the information It can only be a L.U.I. error

joking aside though as has been quite clearly explained to you it's most likely the equipment at fault, the fact it doesn't happen on all your records doesn't detract from that as not all records are equal and the worse the equipment the more that it is likely to show that up.

Tracking a decreasing circle on a rotating disc is extremely difficult and requires precise engineering so no turntable can track perfectly accurately this is a fact of life, the difference is that the better turntable/tonearm/cartridge combinations do a better job of it than the crap ones.

The LP60 falls very clearly into the crap category and has several unavoidable issues again already explained to you that cannot be fixed and mean it can not track a record correctly

reading through the information It can only be a L.U.I. error

joking aside though as has been quite clearly explained to you it's most likely the equipment at fault, the fact it doesn't happen on all your records doesn't detract from that as not all records are equal and the worse the equipment the more that it is likely to show that up.

Tracking a decreasing circle on a rotating disc is extremely difficult and requires precise engineering so no turntable can track perfectly accurately this is a fact of life, the difference is that the better turntable/tonearm/cartridge combinations do a better job of it than the crap ones.

The LP60 falls very clearly into the crap category and has several unavoidable issues again already explained to you that cannot be fixed and mean it can not track a record correctly

I don't think anybody else is listening. It's not in the inner grooves where tracking errors are most common. It's also not the entire song. Just this bit, if it was, wouldn't the entire song sound this way if it was the cartridge? I just tried a second copy of Iron Maiden's debut (my other copy had this problem on one part) and it's not there. Proof it's not the setup, which I already knew. It's something in the record. Apparently it's not static or dirt/dust (I cleaned it several times).

Come on now. Somebody out there has to know what is wrong with this record. I truly don't believe this problem is only inherent to me.

Sounds like you've convinced yourself its a record based problem so if you can't clean your way out of it that only leaves bad pressings or wear, neither of which you can do a lot about without replacing the records.

Bad pressings and worn records have been a problem as long as records have been around

I'm still not convinced its not equipment related or curable with better equipment but then I haven't heard it on your turntable (a digital recording isn't really going to help there). You can always try the test the other way by playing the records that sound bad on a different turntable.

Is it really that hard to give a clear answer to this problem?

I'll be honest, I didn't read all the answers so I'm sure the following was probably already covered, but here are my thoughts:

- it could be a bad pressing. I have several records that just sound absolutely horrible.

- it could be the low quality of your equipment. This wouldn't necessarily show on every record because the specifics of the pressing (record thickness, groove depth) could translate differently, meaning a slightly more problematic pressing that plays just as fine as a good one on a good table can play substantially worse than a good one on a bad table.

- it could be the poor setup of your equipment. Same explanation as above, some records show the incorrect setup more prominently than others.

- it's a really old record and is either worn out (aka spun on shitty equipment and thus pretty much destroyed) or it's super dirty/full of stuff that builds up over the years. Though by the sound of it this last one seems the least possible.

What I can say with confidence though is that what I'm hearing on that clip in NOT static.

Ways to solve the problem? Take the record to either someone you know with an awesome setup or to a specialized audio store that has an analog demo setup you could spin this on. If it sounds bad as well, it's a bad pressing/destroyed record, if it sounds good, it's your setup.

Also, a friendly advice, since you say your new to this. If you got into vinyl expecting superior sound quality, you'll be very disappointed. I learned it the hard way. It takes a lot of patience and a lot of money to only sometimes get not necessarily better, but maybe slightly more likable results.

Seems like you need to just make a general thread saying: "Hey, I'm new to this, these are the questions I have," rather than starting a bunch of very specific threads since you have soooo many questions.

I'd also direct you to this:

http://boards.vinylcollective.com/topic/88504-beginner%E2%80%99s-guide-to-turntables-hi%E2%80%93fi-read-1st-page-before-posting-new-threads-basic-questions/

Also, although some people have trouble with the search function here, with the slightest bit of effort, it will become your best friend.

EDIT: Don't actually make that thread, as you already have so many. Maybe ask a mod to just merge all your threads and tell you how to change the title.

I don't think anybody else is listening. It's not in the inner grooves where tracking errors are most common. It's also not the entire song. Just this bit, if it was, wouldn't the entire song sound this way if it was the cartridge? I just tried a second copy of Iron Maiden's debut (my other copy had this problem on one part) and it's not there. Proof it's not the setup, which I already knew. It's something in the record. Apparently it's not static or dirt/dust (I cleaned it several times).

Come on now. Somebody out there has to know what is wrong with this record. I truly don't believe this problem is only inherent to me.

sometimes the best advice is to listen to others who are all telling you the same thing.   so if it is not  your setup - and you have officially decreed that it is something wrong with the record - what exactly is your question?  did you just want to gripe that a couple of your records do not play right in certain spots?  there are plenty of reasons that can happen even on the nicest of setups - as more than a few people have pointed out why those reasons are.

not to mention that some records just flat out have defects,  hell look at any of the threads on new reissues or records that have been reissued multiple times - almost all of them will have vastly different characteristics while listening to.