what do you guys know about modems? (or the internet)

im about to move into my place and i need internet.

from my past internet providers i've always rented the modem. i dont wanna anymore. my last provider i think was $8 a month, i know its not a lot, but this is like my 10th apartment and I know I'm gonna have more. lots of gaming and streaming, not sure at all what would be a good modem or what to look for. 

does anyone here know about these? 

Your provider will probably provide a list of approved devices and then you can pick one. I saw something recently, I'll find it.

Edit: lifehacker.com/5957578/the-motorola-sb6141-is-the-best-modem-to-ditch-those-rental-fees-futureproof-your-internet

I also remember reading a comparison somewhere but can't find it. Google around though, lots of info out there.

You are going to want to buy a Motorola Surfboard modem such as the SB6141. 

I would first check with your ISP to make sure that the modem you buy is compatible with the ISP and can support the speed you are paying for. 

I have an older model of the surfboard and spent like $75 on it. I haven't had any problems with comcast internet through it also which is nice because after 3+ years of using it I'm definitely happy that i'm still not paying $8 a month. 

I'm actually about to buy one myself, look at Newegg and read reviews. A lot of times people will mention what provider they're using in their product reviews, but for the most part a modem is a modem, just try not to get anything too cheap and unreliable (like when shopping for routers).

http://www.newegg.com/Modems-Gateways/SubCategory/ID-18

Take a look at retailmenot.com before checking out because they usually have coupon codes.

ok cool, i WAS thinking a modem is a modem and you'd get what you pay for. but i wanted to hear people's experiences with some and i was reading up on the motorola surfboard. i just hate going into something not knowing and i want more than a few good reviews online, if that make sense.