PO Now: Annabel - Having It All (Tiny Engines)

First single got posted today, so I figured this would be a good time to get a thread going. Super excited for this.

v600_Annabel-Having-It-All-Final-RGB-Sma
About
On appearances alone, Akron, Ohio’s Annabel could be any modest midwestern rock band—scrawny, bespectacled, with grins as permanent as their tattoos. A similar innocence might be perceived in their songs, in guitars that jingle and a bass that romps puppy-like, in vocals that compete with the music like a little brother for attention. But subsequent listens will reveal Annabel to be a band whose elements tangle into something complex and complete and . Indeed, Having It All feels orchestral at times, with guitars that intertwine and sometimes collapse into harmonic hums. The sticky chords on “The Fortunate Ones,” for example, are wrenched around by a stubborn drumbeat until a quiet chorus, during which singer Ben Hendricks warbles beneath the thrumming rhythm and whispering organ; toward the end, though, that quiet chorus rises into a roar during which melody burns white hot and the instruments, indistinguishable, melt into a pummeling progression. At no point does this complexity weigh the album down; instead, Annabel’s third full-length (and first with Tiny Engines since 2010’s Here We Are Tomorrow) feels joyful. The toms on “The Importance of Disappointment” bob with a rubber bounce, skip beneath guitars that spiral and spin like melodic mandalas. Even songs like the distant “Days In Between” and “How To: A Self-Help Guide,” whose acoustic strokes chop through spectral wisps, don’t sound like sad songs; instead, they serve as breathers, counterbalance the songs that seem breathless. This busyness doesn’t make Annabel any less modest; their music still possesses some pastoral, midwestern appeal. It’s just that their seeming simplicity, however sweet, may be more plentiful than it appears.

Track Listing

• Another Day, Another Vitamin
  • The Fortunate Ones
  • If Only
  • Days In Between
  • Having It All
  • On The Importance Of Disappointment
  • Everything
  • Ex-Introvert
  • How To A Self-Help Guide
  • For Years And Years
  • Nothing Good Gets Away

Pressing Information
First Pressing:
200 Blue + White Marble
300 Opaque Violet
500 Black

First single "Everything": https://soundcloud.com/tinyengines/annabel-everything

Preorder here: http://tinyengines.limitedrun.com/products/538577-annabel-having-it-all-lp-cd-pre-order

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

This album is gonna be Tiny Engines' sleeper release of the year. Loving the first two songs.

Listen to 30-second previews here: http://www.amazon.com/Having-All-Annabel/dp/B00VVGDCWK/ref=sr_1_1_twi_2_mus?ie=UTF8&qid=1430576880&sr=8-1&keywords=annabel+having+it+all.

Not for me. I've been anticipating this since the last album and can gaurantee it will be my favorite release from TE this year.

Edit: missed an 've.

• 2 weeks later...

idk guyz, runaway brother is kinda slept on :?

I LOVE the Runaway Brother album, I just have extremely high hopes for Annabel and Look Mexico. Picking a favorite Tiny Engines album is like picking a favorite 80's Prince album. Sure there's probably a standout here or there, but you can't go wrong with any of them.