"The Man Who Broke The Music Business"

So this article has been making the rounds since being posted yesterday. It's a fantastic look inside the mp3 release scene that was almost always responsible for an album first hitting the internet. As a former scene member and avid IRC user, this was really intriguing. Definitely worth reading if you have some time.

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2015/04/27/the-man-who-broke-the-music-business

The author also has a book further examining this story due out in June, entitled "How Music Got Free"

That was an incredibily interesting read. I had a ton of RNS stuff back in the day. Hell, I might still have the .nfo from their final release somewhere.

Thanks for sharing, I'll read this tomorrow!  I used IRC to grab scene releases for probably a decade.  I still use IRC on a daily basis, but just for chatting now, haha.  I've always been interested in how the scene works and have only been able to get a basic idea of it.  Always fascinating to get more .nfo on it.

same, i actually dabbled in ripping for a scene group for a little while, kinda scary to read that article. glad i stopped when i did ha. this is also the same username i used on irc.

I actually still have a few of your releases on my hdd. Mostly GUK stuff.

I actually still have a few of your releases on my hdd. Mostly GUK stuff.

Looks like I have two, haha.

bill@dirtclod /mnt/rock1 $ ls -lhd *RRD

drwxr-xr-x 2 bill bill  664 Jun  8  2014 The_New_Amsterdams-Killed_Or_Cured-(EP)-2005-RRD

drwxr-xr-x 2 bill bill 1.0K Jun  8  2014 Thrice-Live_Acoustic_From_The_Apple_Store_0929-(Bootleg)-2005-RRD

Got bored reading it and quit. A dude ripped CDs from a plant and put them online. No big deal. Or was there something more to it in the second half?

It was interesting and funny to see that the plants went from high security to try to fight the leaks to "fuck it" essentially because of this dude leaking all the music and the impact it had on CD sales.

Looks like I have two, haha.

bill@dirtclod /mnt/rock1 $ ls -lhd *RRD

drwxr-xr-x 2 bill bill  664 Jun  8  2014 The_New_Amsterdams-Killed_Or_Cured-(EP)-2005-RRD

drwxr-xr-x 2 bill bill 1.0K Jun  8  2014 Thrice-Live_Acoustic_From_The_Apple_Store_0929-(Bootleg)-2005-RRD

I know I used to have the Thrice too, but I still have:

XCT7Qf0.png

Got bored reading it and quit. A dude ripped CDs from a plant and put them online. No big deal. Or was there something more to it in the second half?

That's the cut and dry I guess.

It's a bit slow at the beginning and kind of dryly written, but it was an interesting read for me.  I wish they would have gone a little deeper into the technical side of things though.

lmao that is great, that's the stuff i did for fun, webrips and such. i did some stuff for a 'real' group also.

I used to hang out in yours and nickmans channel back in the day too. I still have a few YKK rips too.