PO: Chuck Palahniuk - Expedition

NEW AUDIO BOOK IMPRINT PUTS FIGHT CLUB PREQUEL STORY "EXPEDITION" ON VINYL!

Okay, let me see if I can state this as clearly as possible. We all know Chuck Palahniuk wrote a book called Fight Club almost twenty years ago. Some of us know that, last year, he wrote a sequel to Fight Club called Fight Club 2. Some of you are about to know for the first time that on May 27th, this sequel will be released as a 10-part maxiseries comic book by Dark Horse Comics. But wait! There's more! Chuck also wrote a prequel to Fight Club called "Expedition." This story takes place before the events of the book and film and is sort of an origin story of Tyler Durden. It will be included in Chuck's upcoming short story collection Make Something Up: Stories You Can't Unread, due out May 26th.

But what I'm assuming most of you don't know is that an imprint called Rare Bird Books just launced a new line of audio books, read by the authors themselves, on vinyl! The collection will feature Chuck Palahniuk, Bret Easton Ellis and more. If you're a burdgeoning vinyl afficianado, like me, this is very cool news. Plus, any time anyone gets Chuck to read one of his own stories/novels, it's cause for celebration. Here's the official statement on this from Rare Bird:

Rare Bird Announces Fight Club Prequel as First Vinyl Audiobook Release

As the official vinyl audiobook accompaniment to both Dark Horse's 
Fight Club 2
 ten-comic maxiseries and Doubleday's new story collection, 
Make Something Up: Stories You Can't Unread
, Rare Bird is very pleased to announce the first vinyl audiobook release featuring Chuck Palahniuk's 
Fight Club
 prequel, 
Expedition
, read by Chuck, hand-numbered for those who preorder, and in a beautiful single LP and double gatefold format with art by David Mack.

The vinyl is available for pre-order now, and if you order it from the link below, you'll get a special on-sale-announcement price, just for Cult members!

http://chuckpalahniuk.net/news/new-audio-book-imprint-puts-fight-club-prequel-story-expedition-on-vinyl

I saw this 2 days ago on his FB, and almost bought it, but I figured shipping would be like 6-7 bucks making it $30. Which is too much for something I will cherish forever, as he is one of my favorite authors of all time (IRL it's just because I'm broke as fuck, but I got paid today). Glad the shipping was included. That's actually not a bad deal. Maybe one day I'll be able to get his sig on the sleeve. That'd be really dope.

Audio books on vinyl seem poorly thought out to me.  Mainly, due to cost and time restrictions per LP.  I'm guessing that this is fairly short and can fit to the time constraints, but even a 200 page book would be quite a few hours of audio time.  Did they have audio books on vinyl before other formats were available?

Audio books on vinyl seem poorly thought out to me. Mainly, due to cost and time restrictions per LP. I'm guessing that this is fairly short and can fit to the time constraints, but even a 200 page book would be quite a few hours of audio time. Did they have audio books on vinyl before other formats were available?

You can fit a lot more spoken word than music, since it's a lot less dynamic and it has a pretty narrow frequency range. I believe my copy of Having Fun On Stage With Elvis is over an hour.

You can fit a lot more spoken word than music, since it's a lot less dynamic and it has a pretty narrow frequency range. I believe my copy of Having Fun On Stage With Elvis is over an hour.

That is true.  At one point, they made 16 rpm LPs for this kind of thing too (since fidelity isn't a huge issue).  My point was mainly that it would probably be a minimum of 4-5 LPs for a novel, which would probably turn most people off (even if they were fairly cheap).

The Bible: Now presented to you on 1532 holy vinyl records.

For the low cost of $14,399!!!!!

Looks like the complete new testament fits on 26 7"s!  Hallelujah!

http://www.discogs.com/Various-Holy-Bible-The-Complete-New-Testament/release/3841928

Looks like the complete new testament fits on 26 7"s!  Hallelujah!

http://www.discogs.com/Various-Holy-Bible-The-Complete-New-Testament/release/3841928

Yes, but at 16 and 2/3rds RPMs...so REALLY it's 52 7"s because who the fuck still has a TT with that speed option? 

(truthfully, I do actually, but it was my wife's grandmother's and we haven't fully restored it yet). 

But in all fairness, no one has that. ;)

Edit: Just read the notes on the Discogs page, please disregard my statements because:

"The dual-bound (12 vinyl sleeves on each) booklet reads: 

"On 26 ultra-groove 16 rpm phonograph records, playing up to one hour each. 

These records may be played on any 33-1/3 rpm record player by using the Audio Book Adapter supplied for that purpose. 

Simply place the adapter on the phonograph turntable and play as any other phonograph record. 

Total Playing Time Approximately 23 1/2 Hours"

Edit: Just read the notes on the Discogs page, please disregard my statements because:

"The dual-bound (12 vinyl sleeves on each) booklet reads: 

"On 26 ultra-groove 16 rpm phonograph records, playing up to one hour each. 

These records may be played on any 33-1/3 rpm record player by using the Audio Book Adapter supplied for that purpose. 

Simply place the adapter on the phonograph turntable and play as any other phonograph record. 

Total Playing Time Approximately 23 1/2 Hours"

I'm really curious about that adapter.  Is it like a reverse slipmat?  A slidemat?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...