Your thoughts on represses in general

knocking represses is elitist bullshit. ive said it a million times.

collectors will ALWAYS want first presses/limited colors that it really doesnt matter if there are represses or not...

...theres a reason first presses of Oceanic still sell for well over $80-100, even after all of the represses. because ISIS fans are nuts.

This is basically my sentiments exactly. I love rarities (much to my bank account's dismay), but I don't think represses devalue them in any way. It's fun to know that you own one of only 500 copies of a record in existence, but at the same time, it's not as if only 500 people deserve to hear the music on that record. Music is for everybody, and limited color vinyl and rarities are for those of us who decide to attach value to that sort of thing.

If I ran the world, records would get a few limited pressings on colors and whatnot, and then stay in print in an affordable but not necessarily so collectible way.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm a huge collector. I buy every stupid variant and I can't bring myself not to.

But the collector standpoint is completely secondary for me. I only care about having music on vinyl. I'd love nothing more than for it to become the #1 format again and be able to walk into a RECORD store and buy any release I wanted, just like in the 80s. I'd love for the masses to rediscover it and every person in the world to become a vinyl junkie. If my records are worth something? Strictly a bonus.

does that mean that you listen to each of the copies that you buy?

None of my records are sealed. Whatever copy gets pulled is the one gets played. Black, color, or otherwise, makes no difference

does that mean that you listen to each of the copies that you buy?

That's what I asked.

That's what I get for replying before hitting the last page. Sorry ronnie..

ahh the double edge sword that is records. you can look at color vinyl as a blessing and a curse. to a certain extent it has ruined a lot of things. i buy records to listen to and not to brag that theyre out of 3. if theres a record i want and its repressed out of 5348543 on black im still going to buy it cause i want to listen to it. the way it comes off in this thread it seems like im in the minority which is nothing but strange to me. keep it in print, let new people that come along continue support the bands and labels who continue to keep it available.

ahh the double edge sword that is records. you can look at color vinyl as a blessing and a curse. to a certain extent it has ruined a lot of things. i buy records to listen to and not to brag that theyre out of 3. if theres a record i want and its repressed out of 5348543 on black im still going to buy it cause i want to listen to it. the way it comes off in this thread it seems like im in the minority which is nothing but strange to me. keep it in print, let new people that come along continue support the bands and labels who continue to keep it available.

I, too, buy to listen. There's only a small handful of bands that I "collect" (try for all colors/pressings).

Hate em.

im curious as to your reasoning for this. most of the arguments ive heard is that people want their limited pressings to stay limited.

arent you just into having one copy of everything you have? and preferably on black? id imagine that kind of collecting mentality wouldnt lend itself to caring about how many copies are out there, so long as you have one to listen to on 180g black.

just curious my brotha.

remove HWM and AM! from the equation, and NI would have a really hard time keeping it's doors open.

Jud Jud sold 4K? ok, dude. No Idea trudges on due to the unabashed success of a Jud Jud demo. cd sales continue to fall, bigger labels than No Idea have shut down, yet somehow they've shown no signs of wear and tear from downloading.

because they've repressed every hot water music and against me! record 25 times.

dude you have no idea what you're talking about. I've been running a label for 10+ years and most of our releases only sell 1000 copies of so.. and we're still up and running perfectly ok.

If I could sell 1000 of every record I put out I would be doing quite well. That's why indies will always work when majors flop. They won't make insane profits but they only need to sell a few thousand copies to make a decent chunk for their bands and themselves.

Guest falloutcollapse

As a listener, I love re-presses. If they re-pressed the Thursday stuff, I would be so happy. But as a collector, I can see why most of you don't like them. It's a huge investment when you could be buying other sweet records.

Represses are cool by me. Labels aren't making jack shit on the first pressing if they're doing anything less than 1000 anyway, unless they're charging a fortune for the record. If you can sell more records, press more records. I like the idea of switching things up and providing some sort of variation between pressings, but it's certainly annoying when each repress consists of 8 different colors. Switching colors every pressing is cool by me. I see no reason why good records shouldn't be kept in print. If you feel you need to buy every pressing, knock yourself out. Don't look as record collecting as an investment and you won't care quite so much if stuff gets repressed.

This kinda reminds me of the million different colors available. I love having 4 or 6 different choices when it comes to the color of the record but the collector in me wants to get all of them. I do like the 1st Print = Color, Reprints = Black method some places use though.

EDIT: I don't even know if it is possible but it would be AWESOME if someone released an album in "random colors," basically very very small runs and you have no idea what you'll get. That would really kill the completist mentality I have.

This kinda reminds me of the million different colors available. I love having 4 or 6 different choices when it comes to the color of the record but the collector in me wants to get all of them. I do like the 1st Print = Color, Reprints = Black method some places use though.

EDIT: I don't even know if it is possible but it would be AWESOME if someone released an album in "random colors," basically very very small runs and you have no idea what you'll get. That would really kill the completist mentality I have.

no idea has done this

no idea has done this

No Idea has mastered that. A couple of the Against Me! 7"s have a pressing on "assorted colors," and they were never clear what those colors are or how many are out there.

i think represses are okay. but id keep it to a 3 pressing limit...i mean you miss the boat once..even twice but then after that id say its enough. plus there should be a difference between pressings. i mean i agree with the whole fat thing as well but maybe peopel who miss out would like a color of some sort. and make the earlier pressings more limited in some way

xfedaykinx: Yes, you're right primarily. But it still sucks when you've been looking for a particular record for 10 years and one day you walk in the record store and there it is, reissued. I guess the real joy of collecting is that CERTAIN things are never going to be reproduced. Like my Jesus Lizard/ nirvana split pic disc. That's probably going to hold it's value.

i dont mind a repress, if you have a first pressing, you still know you ahve a first pressing, and its still worth as much to collectors who want only the first pressing. 2nd pressing is for new fans/those who missed out the first time.

i would be overjoyed to see all of envy's records repressed (aside from insomniac doze, which i actually own) i ahve their full lengths on cd, of course, but i'd like some vinyl to go along with that too.

Represses are cool by me. Labels aren't making jack shit on the first pressing if they're doing anything less than 1000 anyway, unless they're charging a fortune for the record. If you can sell more records, press more records. I like the idea of switching things up and providing some sort of variation between pressings, but it's certainly annoying when each repress consists of 8 different colors. Switching colors every pressing is cool by me. I see no reason why good records shouldn't be kept in print. If you feel you need to buy every pressing, knock yourself out. Don't look as record collecting as an investment and you won't care quite so much if stuff gets repressed.

+1!