Discpedia.com a wiki for record collectors

Isn't that kind of why a knowledge-based website, such as a wiki, would be good, not bad? I'm confused because this is what I was thinking the potential benefits would be.. teaching how to grade, identify pressings, etc. I'd actually written a couple articles about grading and identifying pressings.

People don't care to know how to grade or identify pressings when they're only in it for the money. The best record dealers were record collectors first, not the other way around.

Touche. But I looked up Jacob Bannon and his stuff doesn't come up on findartinfo.com so what do they know?

I think you were right about that.. Well first of all, just because a website has a few sale prices, that doesn't mean it's similar to Popsike. Records were pressed in the billions while original artwork is one of a kind.., so it's really comparing apples and oranges.

That's the whole point I think I was trying to get across--that it would be a center for education and advice sharing as well as smaller details, if that's what people want to share. Discogs doesn't treat albums like collectibles, but more like mass produced merchandise (which is technically what they are). At the same time, though, it takes some of the skill out of record collecting.

...Though apparently that's not what people here are interested in. Why educate yourself when you can just look everything up in a catalog?

Discogs doesn't treat albums like collectibles, but more like mass produced merchandise (which is technically what they are).

This is exactly why we all prefer Discogs. Seriously.

Everyone here hates people who treat records like a collectable. We buy vinyl because we want to play it on our turntable. That's it. We all used to buy NEW records for $12 a pop. Then the collectable vinyl market picked up and everything is two or three times the price, pressing plants are backed up with endless low quality pressings of all of those collectable records you hunt for. Limited releases get snatched up by people who will turn around and sell it on eBay for four times the price.

We are utilitarian. Our skills are finding where to buy some new album for the cheapest price, or haggling a low price for a used record.

Discogs and this forum cater to that utilitarian mentality.

This is exactly why we all prefer Discogs. Seriously.

Everyone here hates people who treat records like a collectable. We buy vinyl because we want to play it on our turntable. That's it. We all used to buy NEW records for $12 a pop. Then the collectable vinyl market picked up and everything is two or three times the price, pressing plants are backed up with endless low quality pressings of all of those collectable records you hunt for. Limited releases get snatched up by people who will turn around and sell it on eBay for four times the price.

We are utilitarian. Our skills are finding where to buy some new album for the cheapest price, or haggling a low price for a used record.

Discogs and this forum cater to that utilitarian mentality.

And that's perfectly rational. At the same time, people who treat them as collectibles aren't intentionally trying to make life for you difficult. They just enjoy them.

Again, there are a lot of similarities and dissimilarities between what I'm seeing are two distinct types of collectors. Ironically, though, 'record collector' implies that records are collectible in the first place.

we are not your target demographic, we will not use your site. the end.