[POLL] Gatefold Jacket OR 180gram discs... You be the judge!

Gatefold Jacket vs. 180 Gram Vinyl  

51 members have voted

1. 1. If given the choice between releasing a 2xLP album on the following two ways, what would be your preference?

• Option 1) A 2xLP 180gram, with a single pocket jacket.
    • Option 2) A 2xLP 140gram, with a gatefold jacket.

I don't store ANY of my records inside the sleeves. All sleeves go into heavy PVC sleeves with the records behind the sleeve or in case of gatefolds in-between the front and back. I also swap all inners for generic anti-statics. Still I've experienced way more damages in the shipping process with 2LPs in single sleeves. There's no taking care of it in the long run if the damage is already done.

Same. Although I put the records in front of the sleeve of mine for single LP's.

180g. I rarely keep the LP's in their jacket anyways.

Another shining example of cramming a 2xLP 180g release into a single sleeve pocket today. all 500 of the Broken Social Scene arrived like this in the warehouse today. Every one has the jacket split open top and bottom with creases in the jackets. So you can store the LPs outside of the sleeve all you like, but when it arrives from the SONY warehouse already damaged before it makes it to a retail store, much less a consumer's hand, pre damaged.....why bother keeping it outside of the jacket that was made specifically to house the vinyl?

Everybody is welcome to store vinyl any way they choose. From a manufacturing standpoint. 2xlp 180g in a single pocket is absolutely asinine.

Everybody is welcome to store vinyl any way they choose. From a manufacturing standpoint. 2xlp 180g in a single pocket is absolutely asinine.

While I'd prefer a gatefold for a 2xLP, I must say that the Blood Sugar Sex Magik and Californication re-issues had wide enough jackets to house the 2x180g records.

While I'd prefer a gatefold for a 2xLP, I must say that the Blood Sugar Sex Magik and Californication re-issues had wide enough jackets to house the 2x180g records.

And because of that extra spacing (referring to the single pockets with the 1/16"-1/8" extra allowance) it makes it more fragile in the corners, regardless of what weight stock you're using to manufacture the jackets. Shipping them without corner dings becomes an issue as weight increases in each carton. Handling becomes more of a hassle when taking to and from the shelf....or if you're an actual DJ, to and from gigs.

I deal with this everyday. Plenty of empirical evidence to back these claims and ideas up. Just because you're copy of (insert title here) doesn't have corner dings and ring wear currently, doesn't mean that for every 10 like that there wasn't a damaged one sitting in a warehouse collecting dust or ultimately destroyed.

Make no mistake, all of these damaged items that you don't see, influence the final inflated prices we're currently seeing in this vinyl boom.

Everybody on this bored loses their shit when they order an LP and it arrives with a corner ding...many people return them (especially to Amazon). That means that record stores have a lower tolerance for corner dings because they can't sell that product. So in order to break that cycle and have less corner dings and more sellable product....it would HIGHLY behoove label execs and anybody interested in pressing LPs to use proper packaging to minimize damages. Following that logic, single-pocket jackets for double LPs (regardless of weight of the LPs) is absolutely asinine. You're basically betting that the amount of returns you receive with the amount of unsold product will be less money than an initial investment in a proper product where you'll most likely have fewer damages to deal with.

Another shining example of cramming a 2xLP 180g release into a single sleeve pocket today. all 500 of the Broken Social Scene arrived like this in the warehouse today. Every one has the jacket split open top and bottom with creases in the jackets. So you can store the LPs outside of the sleeve all you like, but when it arrives from the SONY warehouse already damaged before it makes it to a retail store, much less a consumer's hand, pre damaged.....why bother keeping it outside of the jacket that was made specifically to house the vinyl?

It is asinine, MOV is the worst at this, but I keep them outside of the jacket because it's a hell of a lot quicker for me to grab it from the back of the poly sleeve than to take the whole thing out. Shaves seconds maybe, but that's what I do.

Just because you're copy of (insert title here) doesn't have corner dings and ring wear currently, doesn't mean that for every 10 like that there wasn't a damaged one sitting in a warehouse collecting dust or ultimately destroyed.

* your

Just kiddin, I'm in absolute agreement with everything you've said.