[POLL] Gatefold Jacket OR 180gram discs... You be the judge!

Gatefold Jacket vs. 180 Gram Vinyl  

51 members have voted

1. 1. If given the choice between releasing a 2xLP album on the following two ways, what would be your preference?

• Option 1) A 2xLP 180gram, with a single pocket jacket.
    • Option 2) A 2xLP 140gram, with a gatefold jacket.

Option 2. Don't give a shit about the weight of the record, in fact I'd prefer if more pressings were lower than 180gm, they just don't need to be that heavy.

Is 2x140gm or lower in a single sleeve an option? Gatefolds are nice and all but if you can press more/sell them cheaper because of it then that would be my option.

I will admit, a 180gram record feels much better in hand than that of a 140gram. BUT I'd much rather have a 2xLP in a gatefold. Can't stand both records in a single sleeve, it scares the hell out of me. A gatefold allows for better package design, which is definitely a +++++++. 

basically. someone asked me to put the poll in a few replies back. Figured it wouldn't hurt. but yeah, the overwhelming majority has been Option 2

Haha, 5 days ago when this was still a relatively new thread with few replies. :) Whatever, though.

::shrug::

You do you, boo.

I see my voice will not change the game but anyway... I would go for 180 gr vinyl. It's all about the music. I do not care if the sleeve is gatefold, single or a letterpress. In fact there are many ways to give a packaging fancy look. But there is only one way to make it better than 180 gr.

220 grams!!!! Absolute vinyl ladies! :P

Right.....but all 180g means to me (or 220g) is it's less likely to warp...180g can still sound like trash (SRC Goldfinger)

I don't have any gatefold LP jackets where I've ended up with damaged or unplayable LPs. I do have single-pocket LP jackets where the LPs have ended up damaged either in the mail, in transit while moving, or something else I'm neglecting to remember.

So where I'm a big fan of heavier vinyl for the sake of less warpage....a 2xLP at 180g in a single pocket LP sleeve won't exactly hold up over time

Right.....but all 180g means to me (or 220g) is it's less likely to warp...180g can still sound like trash (SRC Goldfinger)

I don't have any gatefold LP jackets where I've ended up with damaged or unplayable LPs. I do have single-pocket LP jackets where the LPs have ended up damaged either in the mail, in transit while moving, or something else I'm neglecting to remember.

So where I'm a big fan of heavier vinyl for the sake of less warpage....a 2xLP at 180g in a single pocket LP sleeve won't exactly hold up over time

/end of thread.

What I really do not understand is what has a sleeve type to do with vinyl damages? If you handle the records with care (which I'm obsessed with) it should not be a problem. And I strongly disagree that sleeve should protect vinyl during shipping. Sleeve (single, gatefold, whatever) should be protected during shipping.

But the results of the poll is clear. Maybe as a solution you can find someone to co-release the record with you. That can somehow be helpful if you do not want to compromise quality.

I don't store ANY of my records inside the sleeves. All sleeves go into heavy PVC sleeves with the records behind the sleeve or in case of gatefolds in-between the front and back. I also swap all inners for generic anti-statics. Still I've experienced way more damages in the shipping process with 2LPs in single sleeves. There's no taking care of it in the long run if the damage is already done.

What I really do not understand is what has a sleeve type to do with vinyl damages? If you handle the records with care (which I'm obsessed with) it should not be a problem. And I strongly disagree that sleeve should protect vinyl during shipping. Sleeve (single, gatefold, whatever) should be protected during shipping.

But the results of the poll is clear. Maybe as a solution you can find someone to co-release the record with you. That can somehow be helpful if you do not want to compromise quality.

I've moved 10+ since I started jammin vinyl. I have over 2,000 LPs and hundreds of 7". I don't mishandle any of my vinyl. They all get cleaned. The only damages from moving having been single pocket LP jackets.

I also work in a warehouse where we ship and receive vinyl daily. I've seen far more damaged LPs and packaging come in single pocket versus gatefold packaging (regardless of single or double LP)

I have several double disc LPs in a single sleeve and even the ones that don't get played as often have a significant amount more wear on them than single disc in single-pocket jackets.

I'm speaking from personal experience on all accounts. I'm glad you don't mishandle your records. I think it's terrific that you haven't had to move 10+ times. I know not many people ship and receive LPs on a daily basis...these are the warranted findings that I have to share. I have empirical evidence to back up my statements.

Again, the weight of vinyl shouldn't have much to do with quality. I have several hundred releases from the seventies that are near flexi-weight that are in fantastic shape and sound incredible (Kiss self-titled, Willie Nelson titles, ect). I have several 180g discs that are more modern that sound like absolute garbage (Goldfinger self-titled in particular).

From my personal experience...if I ran a label....I would spend more money on proper recording and proper vinyl mastering and getting my releases pressed at a quality pressing plant (that knows how to properly ship the vinyl to me) and not worry about whether or not it was 100g or 220g

Far too much money is being spent on fancy packaging for LPs that sound mediocre at best.

GottaGroove pressing plant is hosting a summit soonish on the current state of the music industry with a focus on this current vinyl boom....I would love to attend and be given a microphone and some time.