Ipod/Itunes help - adding another ipod

so long story short. 

i have a 32 GB Ipod that is currently full.

i have downloaded probably around 10 GB more of music that i want to listen to.

my wife doesn't need her 32 GB Ipod anymore so i figure i would use it.

my question. can i add her ipod (with music already on it) delete the music and then add my new 10 GB worth?  i don't want her music adding itself to the my library. 

or would it be easier to get rid of the 32 GB on my current ipod and add the 10 GB of new music?  I basically just want to shuffle through the new songs and delete the others. 

going to bed now so i can read later or if someone wants to just pm me and we can let this thread fall to the bottom.  thanks for any help.

Can you just do a factory wipe of her iPod? I thought iPod's were one-way transfer anyway, only from the computer to the iPod but not the other way around?

Yes you're right. Music won't transfer from her iPod into your iTunes. You can just wipe it and upload your 10GB's onto it. What I do is have my main library for my iPod classic and a separate library for my 8GB nano I use at the gym. If you want to do it that way, before opening iTunes hold shift and then open it. It gives you the option to create a new library and then you can pick which one you want to use. Probably not the easiest but it works for me.

There used to be a program called Copypod where you could extract music of the iPod. Last time I used it was '07 so I don't know if that program is still floating around. Otherwise yeah gotta wipe the iPod which sucks. I do a manual set up though so I have to manually add files to the iPod and I could delete some files if its full. 

Yes you're right. Music won't transfer from her iPod into your iTunes. You can just wipe it and upload your 10GB's onto it. What I do is have my main library for my iPod classic and a separate library for my 8GB nano I use at the gym. If you want to do it that way, before opening iTunes hold shift and then open it. It gives you the option to create a new library and then you can pick which one you want to use. Probably not the easiest but it works for me.

ok good i was worried itunes would try and pull the songs off my wifes ipod.  so how does one actually clear an ipod of its contents.  everything i read says to do it from the device or deleting from the library which i can't since its' my itunes.

so how does one actually clear an ipod of its contents.  

Once you plug it in you should see her device in iTunes. You can either fully restore the iPod (I personally prefer this option), or just go into the music section of the device, select all the songs, and delete.  Change the settings to manually manage music (it is a checkbox option) so you can add only the new 10gb of music you have instead of iTunes attempting to sync your entire library. All of this is done within iTunes, you do not need to do anything directly on the device itself.

Once you plug it in you should see her device in iTunes. You can either fully restore the iPod (I personally prefer this option), or just go into the music section of the device, select all the songs, and delete.  Change the settings to manually manage music (it is a checkbox option) so you can add only the new 10gb of music you have instead of iTunes attempting to sync your entire library. All of this is done within iTunes, you do not need to do anything directly on the device itself.

will the device automatically start syncing once plugged in?  should i click on manually manage music first before plugging the ipod in?  sorry if this seems simple but i have never done any of this.  always been the wife.

will the device automatically start syncing once plugged in? should i click on manually manage music first before plugging the ipod in? sorry if this seems simple but i have never done any of this. always been the wife.

It's an apple product, you have nothing to fear as a chimp could do it. Just plug it in.

I would like to take a moment in this thread to mourn the passing of the iPod classic. I have the last generation 160GB. Its wonderful to carry my entire music collection to go, and I really hope mine doesn't crap out on me anytime soon. I would take solace in a 64GB nano, but that doesn't look like its happening anytime soon...

I would like to take a moment in this thread to mourn the passing of the iPod classic. I have the last generation 160GB. Its wonderful to carry my entire music collection to go, and I really hope mine doesn't crap out on me anytime soon. I would take solace in a 64GB nano, but that doesn't look like its happening anytime soon...

I mourned it for a sec but then they made 128gb micro SD cards haha.

I've been sans computer for a couple of years now (money is tough to come by) and right before my computer died I was thinking about buying the largest capacity classic.....wish I had. I have two iPods (40 gig 3rd gen pre-click wheel and a 15 gig 1st gen iPod touch) both loaded with different music and I wanted a third one for even more tunes on the go. Shortly after abandoning my eBay route because I didn't want to pay whatever it was they cost at that time my computer died...and then they discontinued the classic. I'm not huge on streaming because I don't get great coverage where I'd use streaming the most (road trips and driving to and from work)....lots of little foothills and valleys in Birmingham that seem to block signal regardless of what provider you have. I dunno....

Long and Short, I feel ya, I want a compute to hook my old external hard drive up to and a classic to load up with tunes

Just got a CF card and replace the one inside your current model. It's easy to do and you'll have more space. Won't have to fuck with two ipods. Better yet, sell it and by a DAP.

Is it possible to do something like this w/ the newest iPod nano? I picked one up because when I updated my Nexus 6 to Marshmallow, the audio quality took a huge nosedive, and I figured rather than fiddle with it forever trying to make it sound good, I'd just get a nano. But if there's a way to tinker w/ it to get more than 16Gb of storage, I'd be about it.

ok ipod has been fully restored and is now loading my new music.  all my music from my ipod isn't in my itunes library so i didn't have to worry about it syncing with my new music.  all my other music is currently on an external hard drive.

Is it possible to do something like this w/ the newest iPod nano? I picked one up because when I updated my Nexus 6 to Marshmallow, the audio quality took a huge nosedive, and I figured rather than fiddle with it forever trying to make it sound good, I'd just get a nano. But if there's a way to tinker w/ it to get more than 16Gb of storage, I'd be about it.

I'm not sure. I haven't kept up with all the models. I only know for the classic sized ones. As far as your Android, get VIPER4Android. It'll help your audio quality a good bit. I would suggest a headphone amp too. I use mine with my phone cause the volume is so low on my nexus 6.

I'm not sure. I haven't kept up with all the models. I only know for the classic sized ones. As far as your Android, get VIPER4Android. It'll help your audio quality a good bit. I would suggest a headphone amp too. I use mine with my phone cause the volume is so low on my nexus 6.

I had Viper4Android, and had messed with the mixer paths too...something about MM reverted it back to whatever low volume, mediocre audio quality it had stock. Only thing I don't like about this phone, really...I'm probably gonna just rock with the separate audio device anyway.

I had Viper4Android, and had messed with the mixer paths too...something about MM reverted it back to whatever low volume, mediocre audio quality it had stock. Only thing I don't like about this phone, really...I'm probably gonna just rock with the separate audio device anyway.

Yeah, I really only use my phone for music when in taking a dump, so it doesn't concern me too much.

You can pick up an external dac, and I'm sure it'd fix your sound issues.

http://hifimediy.com/DACs/android-dac