Comics (possible spoilers)

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Captain America: White is another in the line of Jeph Loeb/Tim Sale series. It had been so long since Hulk:Gray that I didn't think they were doing any more. I stopped wasting money on Wizard Magazine years ago, so I had no idea this was even coming out. Good stuff.

New Secret Invasion came out today too.

For anyone who was into Kingdom Come, you should get on Justice Society of America as shit is getting real.

i've been reading greg rucka books (whiteout, queen and country), sandman, graham annable's grickle books, i just read bottomless belly button by dash shaw, midnight sun by ben towle.

Queen and Country was a great book. Rucka's espionage books are much better than any of his super hero stuff. I never got around to reading Whiteout though.

You can't go wrong with Sandman either.

I can't say I've heard of those other books. I rarely get into any indy comics unless I'm already familiar with the creator's work.

i've been reading greg rucka books (whiteout, queen and country), sandman, graham annable's grickle books, i just read bottomless belly button by dash shaw, midnight sun by ben towle.

Queen and Country was a great book. Rucka's espionage books are much better than any of his super hero stuff. I never got around to reading Whiteout though.

You can't go wrong with Sandman either.

I can't say I've heard of those other books. I rarely get into any indy comics unless I'm already familiar with the creator's work.

whiteout is an amazing pair of books. and actually the movie has been completed and is supposed to be out this fall... looks like it might be weird... but i'm willing to give it a shot, b/c those books rules. i haven't read any of rucka's superhero books.

The first year or so of Walking Dead is really really rare, so this isn't all that surprising.

About $100 each, which isn't unreal considering ungraded issues go for $40-$60 (or at least used to when I sold mine).

I think CGC is bullshit also. A few years ago I sent in 4 comics in to be graded, and one of them I was 100% sure was a 9.9 or 10. It was the most mint comic I have ever owned. It was The Darkness (v2) #1 Retailer Incentive Cover. So I sent it in with 3 other books, and when I got them back, the Darkness book was graded a 9.0. I could not believe it. I was so pissed. How could a mint book end up with a 9.0!!! After that I decided I will never deal with CGC books again.

I think it would be interesting if someone sent them a book and then opened it and sent it back a couple times, to see if the grade stays consistent. I bet that it would not.

And who wants a comic you can't read anyway.

The only CGC books I have from before that fiasco are...

PVP #1 - 9.8

All Star Squadron #8 - 9.4 (signed by Joe Kubert)

The Brave And The Bold #153 (Whitman Variant) - 9.6

The Brave And The Bold #154 - 9.4

Detective Comics #570 - 9.4

well the WWH Frontline 9.8 the local guy ordered in has a 1/8 or 1/4 inch split at the bottom corner of the spine, and several slight wrinkles on the spine. nothing major, but easily spotable with the naked eye. they sell thousands of the things so i think they just slap x amount in and print up the tags.

Thinking about picking up the Earth X collection from Graphitti Designs. Anyone have this? Should I just look for the full color Marvel book instead?

I really wouldn't recommend the Earth/Universe/Paradise X books to someone who is fairly new to comics. You have to have a pretty good knowledge of Marvel history and continuity to understand everything. I'm sure it will be confusing as hell if you don't know most of the characters back stories. And they cram almost every Marvel character into the series.

If your store didn't get comics because of a holiday that was last Friday, it's a shitty store. The only time they're ever delayed is when there's a holiday that Monday. And typically, I think only big ones like Memorial Day or whatever actually push stuff back a day.

CGC is so fucking stupid. Unless you plan to sell it, who gives a fuck? So dumb. Total waste of money and a big scam. Trust me, I have a shitload of comics that are worth getting graded if I ever plan to sell them, but I don't, so it's definitely not something I'd consider doing.

I'd say the main problem with Earth X and all the sequels or prequels or whatever is that they're fucking boring, confusing, and overall not too good. I think what really drove me nuts about it was that you'd finish the comic part of it and have to read 4 pages of narrative. I have no problem reading narrative, but it's a comic book, not a novel. I wouldn't pay $3 every month for 4 pages of a book. If you really want to get your Alex Ross on, check out Marvels or Kingdom Come. Much better stuff anyway.