Comics (possible spoilers)

Did pick this up today: [image]

I'm a fan of Wood's "real world" stuff like Local and my buddy at the shop threw it in my bag. It's only $10, so with the discount it was worth a gamble. Wood's gone as far as to say it's aimed at teen girls, which as a nearly 30 bearded, beer belly'd man I'm not in that demographic, but I'm sure it'll be worth a read.

This was pretty damn enjoyable, well worth the $9.99 price tag.

If you're a fan of Wood's writing on Local you'll enjoy it and Ryan Kelly's art NEVER fails to impress me.

Put my order in for the Local HC today as well which excites me. I do hope it includes the pages at the end of each issue with his music thoughts as i really thought it helped complete each issue.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i read vertigo monthlies religiously. i get probably 5 of the 10 or so they put out each month (Northlanders, Scalped, 100 Bullets, House of Mystery, DMZ at the moment. will be getting Army@Love, Air, Jack of Fables, and Crossing Midnight soon most likely after i catch up on them). people waiting for the trades is part of what caused American Virgin to get canceled from what i've gathered. it's convenient to read them all at once, but low issue sales causes DC to be dicks and cancel great series.

i read vertigo monthlies religiously. i get probably 5 of the 10 or so they put out each month (Northlanders, Scalped, 100 Bullets, House of Mystery, DMZ at the moment.

House of Mystery is one of my new favorite books. It's so cool the way the work the two stories together every issue. That's one Vertigo book that reads just as good as a monthly as it would in a trade.

I've been reading up on American Virgin (I have the first 2 trades), it sounds like sales as well as content issues and arguments with DC has cause friction. DC is pretty good about trying to keep low selling books alive that have a solid fanbase (Manhunter) and/or critically loved and have a true "end" in sight (Starman)

It's cheaper for me to pick up trades sadly as most are 6 issues @ $2.99 where as the trade (on amazon) are usually under $11. I wish DC & Marvel would publish monthly anthologies, like "Vertigo Monthly" with 6 of the titles that month.

dude that's sweet. my store bags all the comics. he charges for boards though. and long boxes cost a decent amount too. the worst has to be dividers though. those things are fucking expensive as hell!

Yeah, those dividers are insanely expensive for what they are. They always have been too. I actually bought a bunch of the cardboard ones through Bags Unlimited. Really, I'm the only one ever looking at them, so I definitely don't need the fancy ass plastic ones.

Haven't read the rest of this thread, but if you haven't yet then you should check out Astonishing X-Men and Ultimate X-Men. Aside from that: read Watchmen, because it's awesome. What else are you in to? I can make better suggestions if I know what kind of stuff you like to read.

You can check out what I own and have been reading by going to my googledocs list in my signature.

this may be an awfully stupid thing to ask, but i'd like some advice:

where do i start with comics?

i'm not in it purely for the collecting aspect (though that doesn't hurt, either), i just always loved the whole idea of reading comic books and graphic novels and we're seeing these days that there are some great ones out there. but how do you suggest i get started? i've always been a big fan of batman and x-men. what are some comics/trades that are good reads? i know all about the legendary batman graphic novels (long halloween, dark victory, hush, dark knight returns etc. etc. etc.) and i also don't have the budget to go out and pick up tons of back issues. any help?

my advice on collecting comics:

don't listen to anything wizard says

don't try to follow a trend for a long term investment

find some authors you like and stick with them (in my case Moore, Ennis, Ellis, Azzerello, Ross)

find a few characters or imprints you like and stick with them. i read anything punisher, deadpool, on Marvel Max, Vertigo, and Avatar. think of the indies/imprints as labels. some people listen to all victory, some listen to all trustkill, i listen to all fat bands and the old epitaph ones from the 90's. you can find a lot of good stuff checking it out that way.