Warped Tour...is...meh?

Because they're "going Green" that means no more printed schedules.

They've never had printed schedules except production/press ones backstage.

Well, I go as press, so it's new to me. God, navigating without it is pretty annoying. It's easy enough to write down the schedules of the bands you like but when you catch a band you don't recognize and go, "This is okay" you have no idea who they are.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can honestly say I have never gone to a Warped Tour. Just wasn't interested to begin with. I think the whole Lollapalooza thing kinda burned me out on 1 day fests altogether. I went to the first couple lollapalooza fests and after that, i was kinda done with it. I like club shows a whole lot more.

I'm happier during SXSW when you can go to a few shows during the day and then at night as well. That way you're not in the heat all fucking day. At least at club shows during the day you have some shade. And if you know what you're doing you can see alot more bands, and usually for free. That's why i look forward to SXSW every year. And now i'm even looking forward to the FEST in OCT/NOV.

I actually went last year at the age of 32 and had a great time. I went on a whim with some friends, didn't really have any agenda and didn't even know who was playing. I just wandered around. Ended up catching Sims performing in some tent and he was awesome, as were Bad Religion and a few others. I did spend like $80 on beer though.

I went to Warped Tour in 2003 and I didn't even like any of the bands. I went because my 14 year old brother needed a ride because he wanted to see the Dropkick Murphys. If it hadn't have been for that I would have never been to a Warped Tour and I would have no basis to say that Warped Tour abso-fucking-lutely sucks.

I almost feel a lot of you go into this going in to hate it because it's associated with the fuse culture and shit (not saying all of you but honestly, I don't see how you can be at least a little bit into punk and not have a good time at Warped).

Saying the crowd sucks that makes you hate it is stupid. They are 14-18 year old kids, it's not like it's a bunch of 20+ jugheads who just beat the shit out of people they don't like (cough cough NYHC cough cough) Plus, there always seems to be at least some fun bands to watch, hell Say Anything's Max Bemis seems totally off and would seem like fun to watch his set. I want to see that new Cobra Starship single. Of course Against me, Patent Pending, Gaslight, Broadway Calls, there are plenty of bands that make me want to go.

The booths always give me a decent way to kill time, check out new CDs and stuff, check out some tees and stuff.

Seriously, I am sooo excited for going to Warped for the first time in 2 years. Last time I went I had a blast (06) and the 03 one was what got me started on punk really.

I agree with some reasons to not like Warped (Brendan Kelly once said that it greatly discourages bands to do real summer tours since they can hop on Warped and make money easily for playing only a half hour in the middle of the day), but as a fan? I really am surprised to see NOT ONE voice of positive opinion on this thread.

Punk rock sold out already, stop bitching.

There are literally ZERO bands on the bill that I would pay more than $12 to see play. The only bands I even like are Against Me!, the Gaslight Anthem and Broadway Calls... and I've seen Broadway Calls and the Gaslight Anthem play shows for 10 people. Against Me! I've seen 19 times in my life and have no desire to see play again. Why the fuck would I pay $30 to see a couple bands I only kinda like play half hour sets alongside a gazillion other bands I absolutely hate with 10,000 high school hipsters walking around in 100* heat? I go to 3-4 shows a week. Literally. I have absolutely no desire to go to Warped Tour. Never have. Never will. There's nothing "punk" about it.

I'm not saying this to sound high and mighty, but you asked why people think Warped Tour sucks. I'm not trying to act punker than though or anything like that. It's just not fun for a lot of people, especially when you've experienced the bands in much more intimate settings or know of places you can see really amazing bands in local spots with all your friends.

There are literally ZERO bands on the bill that I would pay more than $12 to see play. The only bands I even like are Against Me!, the Gaslight Anthem and Broadway Calls... and I've seen Broadway Calls and the Gaslight Anthem play shows for 10 people. Against Me! I've seen 19 times in my life and have no desire to see play again. Why the fuck would I pay $30 to see a couple bands I only kinda like play half hour sets alongside a gazillion other bands I absolutely hate with 10,000 high school hipsters walking around in 100* heat? I go to 3-4 shows a week. Literally. I have absolutely no desire to go to Warped Tour. Never have. Never will. There's nothing "punk" about it.

I'm not saying this to sound high and mighty, but you asked why people think Warped Tour sucks. I'm not trying to act punker than though or anything like that. It's just not fun for a lot of people, especially when you've experienced the bands in much more intimate settings or know of places you can see really amazing bands in local spots with all your friends.

would you have gone to any of the previous warped tours?

1995 - CIV, Deftones, Face To Face, No Doubt, NUFAN, Quicksand, Seaweed, Sick of it All, Sublime

1996 - Beck, blink 182, Down By Law, Bosstones, NOFX, Unwritten Law

1997 - Descendents, Green Day, Lagwagon, LTJ, LIMP BIZKIT, Social D, SUGAR RAY

1998 - The Aquabats!, The Get Up Kids, H20, KID ROCK, Rancid, Snapcase, The Specials, STAIND

1999 - EMINEM, ICE-T

(bands who played again after they are listed are not listed more than once, the most important ones in caps)

could've seen those bands all in one day (each year) for, what? $30? why the hell not? that's how warped gained it's reputation of being an awesome tour with tons of good bands for dirt cheap (compared to other traveling summer festivals). maybe the bands aren't that great now (for your, or many others tastes), but i'm sure they try to put the bands that the kids want on the bill. plus, warped tour has been the longest running festival pretty much because it followed the trends (ie. ska, nu metal, now this glam-emo-pop stuff).

but then again, warped tour isn't for everyone. you can say that a festival setting is not the way to experience a punk show. but fuck it, man. just have a good time watching good bands (which are few, now) if it's what you wanna do.

I almost feel a lot of you go into this going in to hate it because it's associated with the fuse culture and shit (not saying all of you but honestly, I don't see how you can be at least a little bit into punk and not have a good time at Warped).

Saying the crowd sucks that makes you hate it is stupid. They are 14-18 year old kids, it's not like it's a bunch of 20+ jugheads who just beat the shit out of people they don't like (cough cough NYHC cough cough) Plus, there always seems to be at least some fun bands to watch, hell Say Anything's Max Bemis seems totally off and would seem like fun to watch his set. I want to see that new Cobra Starship single. Of course Against me, Patent Pending, Gaslight, Broadway Calls, there are plenty of bands that make me want to go.

The booths always give me a decent way to kill time, check out new CDs and stuff, check out some tees and stuff.

Seriously, I am sooo excited for going to Warped for the first time in 2 years. Last time I went I had a blast (06) and the 03 one was what got me started on punk really.

I agree with some reasons to not like Warped (Brendan Kelly once said that it greatly discourages bands to do real summer tours since they can hop on Warped and make money easily for playing only a half hour in the middle of the day), but as a fan? I really am surprised to see NOT ONE voice of positive opinion on this thread.

Punk rock sold out already, stop bitching.

I love that the Warped tour five years ago got you really into punk and you feel the right to to tell people what they can complain about.

It's a lot different than it was 10 years back. Is that bad? Not inherently. But you need to understand that it's not what I liked about Warped Tour. I dug the bands and the atmosphere more 9 years ago. Sure the bands change (no one's buying 100,000 Lagwagon CD's anymore) but the attitude is what really caught me. No one seemed to really care. Kids were there and most of them watched the bands but they legitimately seemed unconcerned with what band it was. No singing along, no dancing, no energy.

I get that the Lunnachicks couldn't mainstage in this day and age, but I would at least hope kids would get excited over the bands who are playing.

Every year here there is an elderly couple at Warped Tour, who always seem to be enjoying the music. More than most of the scenesters anyways. Makes me smile.

this reminds me of when i saw PLAID RETINA a long time ago. My friends parents (in their 50's) who were there seeing him and his band play, were getting off to Plaid Retina them and we all noticed it. it was awesome, as most of our parents could care less about punk rock at the time.. How many people's kids can say they saw PLAID RETINA with their parents..