Warped Tour...is...meh?

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The last two Warped Tours were pretty great for me. 2006, I saw The Bouncing Souls, Against Me!, Anti-Flag, NOFX, and The Buzzcocks. 2007, I saw The Unseen, Big D And The Kids Table, The Toasters, and Bad Religion.

This year, there's only two bands that I want to see (AM! and The Aggrolites), but I'm totally gonna "throwdown" to The Devil Wears Prada. They're so terrible.

I had the most fun ever at a bamboozle (2006 i think) for these types of festivals

Paint it Black- surprised at the amount of kids that came out for them, sang along, danced. I think they expected 12 kids to be there for them.

Poison the well- Played about 4-5 songs off opposite of December...everyone went off hard.

Everytime i die- Not really into them much anymore but still played decent

Lifetime- Insane. Obviously you can't compare seeing them in a new brunswick basement but still very cool. It was a different experience.

Saves the day- Mix set..always good.

There were a bunch of other bands i'm prob forgetting but these bands convinced me to deal with all the other obnoxious things.

Not interested in Warped Tour anymore. It's way too hot and there are too many kids. That being said, about 10 years ago Warped Tour was the highlight of my summer. I went each year between 1999 and 2001, and I think I've been to 1 since then. Not that I have a problem with it, I'm glad that there are kids out there nowadays that it is the highlight of their summer. Maybe they'll catch a set by a band they wouldn't have heard otherwise and get into it.

I had the most fun ever at a bamboozle (2006 i think) for these types of festivals

Paint it Black- surprised at the amount of kids that came out for them, sang along, danced. I think they expected 12 kids to be there for them.

Seriously, there were waaaaaay more people watching (and getting seriously into) PIB than I ever thought there would've been at a festival like Bamboozle.

Not interested in Warped Tour anymore. It's way too hot and there are too many kids. That being said, about 10 years ago Warped Tour was the highlight of my summer. I went each year between 1999 and 2001, and I think I've been to 1 since then. Not that I have a problem with it, I'm glad that there are kids out there nowadays that it is the highlight of their summer. Maybe they'll catch a set by a band they wouldn't have heard otherwise and get into it.

Think about it, 10 years ago you were part of the "too many kids" there

That's what I was trying to say though!

Think about it, 10 years ago you were part of the "too many kids" there

There are literally ZERO bands on the bill that I would pay more than $12 to see play. The only bands I even like are Against Me!, the Gaslight Anthem and Broadway Calls... and I've seen Broadway Calls and the Gaslight Anthem play shows for 10 people. Against Me! I've seen 19 times in my life and have no desire to see play again. Why the fuck would I pay $30 to see a couple bands I only kinda like play half hour sets alongside a gazillion other bands I absolutely hate with 10,000 high school hipsters walking around in 100* heat? I go to 3-4 shows a week. Literally. I have absolutely no desire to go to Warped Tour. Never have. Never will. There's nothing "punk" about it.

I'm not saying this to sound high and mighty, but you asked why people think Warped Tour sucks. I'm not trying to act punker than though or anything like that. It's just not fun for a lot of people, especially when you've experienced the bands in much more intimate settings or know of places you can see really amazing bands in local spots with all your friends.

would you have gone to any of the previous warped tours?

1995 - CIV, Deftones, Face To Face, No Doubt, NUFAN, Quicksand, Seaweed, Sick of it All, Sublime

1996 - Beck, blink 182, Down By Law, Bosstones, NOFX, Unwritten Law

1997 - Descendents, Green Day, Lagwagon, LTJ, LIMP BIZKIT, Social D, SUGAR RAY

1998 - The Aquabats!, The Get Up Kids, H20, KID ROCK, Rancid, Snapcase, The Specials, STAIND

1999 - EMINEM, ICE-T

(bands who played again after they are listed are not listed more than once, the most important ones in caps)

could've seen those bands all in one day (each year) for, what? $30? why the hell not? that's how warped gained it's reputation of being an awesome tour with tons of good bands for dirt cheap (compared to other traveling summer festivals). maybe the bands aren't that great now (for your, or many others tastes), but i'm sure they try to put the bands that the kids want on the bill. plus, warped tour has been the longest running festival pretty much because it followed the trends (ie. ska, nu metal, now this glam-emo-pop stuff).

but then again, warped tour isn't for everyone. you can say that a festival setting is not the way to experience a punk show. but fuck it, man. just have a good time watching good bands (which are few, now) if it's what you wanna do.

haha were you trying to make me think more positively about Warped Tour by posting those lineups? Sublime? Sugar Ray? Kid Rock? Sorry if that comes off as me being a dick, I just thought it was funny, not trying to be an asshole at all.

Yeah, that's cool if it's what you wanna do, but it's not what I wanna do so I stay clear the hell away from Warped Tour.

would you have gone to any of the previous warped tours?

1995 - CIV, Deftones, Face To Face, No Doubt, NUFAN, Quicksand, Seaweed, Sick of it All, Sublime

1996 - Beck, blink 182, Down By Law, Bosstones, NOFX, Unwritten Law

1997 - Descendents, Green Day, Lagwagon, LTJ, LIMP BIZKIT, Social D, SUGAR RAY

1998 - The Aquabats!, The Get Up Kids, H20, KID ROCK, Rancid, Snapcase, The Specials, STAIND

1999 - EMINEM, ICE-T

(bands who played again after they are listed are not listed more than once, the most important ones in caps)

could've seen those bands all in one day (each year) for, what? $30? why the hell not? that's how warped gained it's reputation of being an awesome tour with tons of good bands for dirt cheap (compared to other traveling summer festivals). maybe the bands aren't that great now (for your, or many others tastes), but i'm sure they try to put the bands that the kids want on the bill. plus, warped tour has been the longest running festival pretty much because it followed the trends (ie. ska, nu metal, now this glam-emo-pop stuff).

but then again, warped tour isn't for everyone. you can say that a festival setting is not the way to experience a punk show. but fuck it, man. just have a good time watching good bands (which are few, now) if it's what you wanna do.

haha were you trying to make me think more positively about Warped Tour by posting those lineups? Sublime? Sugar Ray? Kid Rock? Sorry if that comes off as me being a dick, I just thought it was funny, not trying to be an asshole at all.

Yeah, that's cool if it's what you wanna do, but it's not what I wanna do so I stay clear the hell away from Warped Tour.

haha, well bands like sugar ray and kid rock are the funny ones. but it goes with what i said about warped tour trend riding. the bands that play are just what kids listen to nowadays, i guess.

Seriously, there were waaaaaay more people watching (and getting seriously into) PIB than I ever thought there would've been at a festival like Bamboozle.

Man I drove from Tennessee to be at Bamboozle that year and PIB made the whole fucking trip worth it. I seriously thought I was going to die when they played "Burn the Hive."

I hate the fact that so many people won't go to shows because of the type of audience the band's have. Granted, I hate the amount of 12 year-old scenesters at shows nowadays but it doesn't stop me from enjoying shows.

agreed. against me is still against me even if i'm surrounded by a bunch of 40-somethings up front for foo fighters.

Damn, I couldn't even imagine if Fishbone played Warped Tour again.

It was the year that 311 was also on the bill. I remember that for their set we were right up at the rail in front of P-Nut (bass). When they played the song with the line "throw me a joint on stage, wassup!"...my buddy threw a joint at P-Nut and the fuckin' guy caught it! Smirked, the tucked it away behind his ear.

After their set, he came by and thanked us and we shot the shit with him. At this point is when they guys from Fishbone walked over and it all went up in smoke... ;D