MLB Discussion

how did the phillies franchise fall off so badly? 

Ruin Tomorrow of course

I'm not trying to take the blame off of Amaro, but a great deal of the blame falls on ownership due to their "loyalty" towards aging players. Amaro's hands were tied when it came to resigning Howard, Rollins, Utley and Chooch. They felt that the way to keep people in the seats was to hold on to the guys from 2008 team as long as possible. They also should have never resigned Lee and spent that money on a bat.  Plus, a horrible scouting department doesn't help either. I don't want them to trade Hamels, but I already know they won't get back true value for him. 

man, I just wanna see what the brewers can get Parra, that guy is KILLIN right this summer.  last 30 games he's hitting 387/445/660 with 26 runs, 5 HRs and 12 RBIs in the leadoff spot

Parra kills the Giants...was hoping he was traded before this current series, now I'm just hoping he gets traded to a team we don't face the rest of the way

I'm not trying to take the blame off of Amaro, but a great deal of the blame falls on ownership due to their "loyalty" towards aging players. Amaro's hands were tied when it came to resigning Howard, Rollins, Utley and Chooch. They felt that the way to keep people in the seats was to hold on to the guys from 2008 team as long as possible. They also should have never resigned Lee and spent that money on a bat.  Plus, a horrible scouting department doesn't help either. I don't want them to trade Hamels, but I already know they won't get back true value for him. 

I still defend the Lee signing. It was a gamble, but no one saw Lee's injury coming at all. Not trading him last year when the team was obviously done is the problem, coupled with the potentially career ending injury. Basically the Phils got hit hard by injuries that made the players age ungracefully. Halladay got injured and went from a Cy Young candidate to retired in under a year, Howard ruptured his achillies and that robbed him of a year or so of a gentler decline. Utley's knees wore out with a fluke degenerative condition. Now they might have been older players, but none were injuries that anyone saw coming, and no one could have guessed that all of their core players would get hit with career changing injuries. Bad luck/bad drafting is what did the Phillies in, not bad contracts.

I still defend the Lee signing. It was a gamble, but no one saw Lee's injury coming at all. Not trading him last year when the team was obviously done is the problem, coupled with the potentially career ending injury. Basically the Phils got hit hard by injuries that made the players age ungracefully. Halladay got injured and went from a Cy Young candidate to retired in under a year, Howard ruptured his achillies and that robbed him of a year or so of a gentler decline. Utley's knees wore out with a fluke degenerative condition. Now they might have been older players, but none were injuries that anyone saw coming, and no one could have guessed that all of their core players would get hit with career changing injuries. Bad luck/bad drafting is what did the Phillies in, not bad contracts.

Sure, but the writing has been on the wall that Amaro needed to execute an Astros level rebuild of the organization well before this years trading deadline - and he has yet to still really admit or show that he knows it.

Sure, but the writing has been on the wall that Amaro needed to execute an Astros level rebuild of the organization well before this years trading deadline - and he has yet to still really admit or show that he knows it.

It isnt really Amaro's team anymore. Mcphail, Gillick and Amaro are all involved now, and my guess that Amaro has the less say between the three of them as the new president isnt going to let the old GM whose contract wont be renewed be calling the shots. However, Amaro did trade Rollins and Byrd for prospects that are doing well in the minors, has said that team is better without Howard than with him before this season started, has said that Utley will not be the starting 2B when he comes back off the DL, and the three of them traded Papelbon for a back end rotation prospect. You can trash his previous years of going all in without regard for the future, but the past year he has shown with actions and words that a complete rebuild is needed.

So basically three minor league pitchers to Marlins for Latos and Morse, then Dodgers flip Morse, Hector Olivera, the Marlins comp pick and prospects to Braves for Wood, Avilan and Jim Johnson. Then Dodgers might flip Wood for Price.

I'm sure it will be totally different tomorrow morning.

In other news, Hamels and Diekman are Rangers for Alfaro, Williams, etc.

I haven't posted here in forever. I was at the Mets game tonight and heard something about a trade. Checked Twitter and it said Flores was traded. Flores still in the field. Flores is on deck and people are screaming "why?" People felt Flores was being hung out to dry (or to get injured) and were totally confused. Listen to the Collins post game conference and I lost my mind. What the fuck happened? Funny thing is Lucas Duda hit 3 home runs and didn't get a standing O because 80% of the crowd left.

Agent Scott Boras adamantly denied that anything is wrong with Gomez from a health standpoint. Via Rosenthal (Twitter links): “Carlos Gomez has never seen a hip doctor and has never had a hip issue in his playing career. Anyone who suggests that is inaccurate and baldly misrepresenting the truth of the player’s condition.”

awesome.  yet another situation where player medical information is basically not confidential.