MLB Discussion

Frieri and Downs have stellar numbers (Frieri might be having the best season of any reliever in baseball, outside of Aroldis), Walden has a high whip but the rest is fine. I guess their middle relievers have been blowing it? I don't follow everyone. Three RP with ERAs under 3 is a very good core, though.

Pirates bullpen has been lights out.

Lincoln on the buccos had an ERA of 1.04 in the pen until his spot start last night brought it over 2..

Grili has an ERA of 1.71

Jared Hughes has a 2.61

Juan Cruz has a 2.18

Hanrahan is at 2.56

i cant see them all keeping ERAs that low for much longer, regression will hit some hard as the year goes on, but the Pirates Pitching staff as a whole has been so solid outside of a handful of arms.

The Angels middle relief is so bad its not even funny. Guys like Cassevah and Carpenter should seriously never ever be in a MLB game. Last time Cassevah pitched Nelson Cruz hit the furthest HR Ive ever seen at Angel Stadium. Ive never seen a ball land anywhere near where his landed. Then last nite he comes in and walks a guy to load the bases and then gives up a double and they pull him. Pretty much what he always does. The back end up the pen is ok. Walden got bumped from the closer roll already this year. He's ok but walks a lot of people. Downs is pretty good but I dont think he's as good as his numbers show. He gives up a lot of inherited runs. Frieri is fucking legit though, he's easily been the best pitcher in the pen by a mile. That was a huge pick up for this team. Hopefully Hawkins can come back soon, he's decent...at least better than what they have now.

Once Weaver comes back they should keep Richards as the 5th starter and move Santana to the pen. That dude is fucking awful this year. He's the most inconsistent pitcher Ive ever seen. He's got the insane stuff when he's on but more often than not he cant control his pitches and ends up grooving fast balls. He's given up like 15 HRs or some things ridiculous this year. He would be really good out of the pen though. He could throw his fastball harder in relief and wouldnt have to worry about a 3rd pitch which he can never command.

According to ESPN Frieri is Closer, set up man is Downs, Walden is at the 3 spot

Yea thats usually how it goes now. Walden got bumped from the closer roll early on and they gave it to Downs. Downs has done pretty well but once Frieri came over and and didnt give up a hit thru his first 12+ innings or so they basically just kinda slid him into the closer roll without any kind of announcement or anything. I like Walden, Downs Frieri to end the game. Its just that middle relief thats really scary.

1. Pettitte killed it!

2. Nats rule, hahahaha at the Mets!

3. oh, and HA to Cliff Lee!

Pettite looks like he has a new pitch in the works. What a pleasant surprise he's been. I was discussing this morning why the Yankees didn't pursue Darvish at all. I'm figuring it was part pay roll, part the everlasting sting of Kei Igawa but mostly that they had Pettite's return in the works.

For all their injuries the Yankees have held it together quite nicely. Nova and Hughes look like they've solved their problems - knock on wood - and the bats are finally doing what they're supposed to. Once they have back Gardner and Robertson they'll in essence be at full strength again. Should Robertson or Soriano close? I am leaning Soriano since he's been excellent but at the same time we all know that Robertson is the future.

I need to hit Stubhub soon and grab seats to a game - amazing how cheap you can get solid seats right now.

Pettite looks like he has a new pitch in the works. What a pleasant surprise he's been. I was discussing this morning why the Yankees didn't pursue Darvish at all. I'm figuring it was part pay roll, part the everlasting sting of Kei Igawa but mostly that they had Pettite's return in the works.

For all their injuries the Yankees have held it together quite nicely. Nova and Hughes look like they've solved their problems - knock on wood - and the bats are finally doing what they're supposed to. Once they have back Gardner and Robertson they'll in essence be at full strength again. Should Robertson or Soriano close? I am leaning Soriano since he's been excellent but at the same time we all know that Robertson is the future.

I need to hit Stubhub soon and grab seats to a game - amazing how cheap you can get solid seats right now.

I dont know how much its affected the Yankees, but I just want to say that I feel that when they lost Rivera for the year, the yanks looked different to me. talk about a position the yankees have not had to worry about for... a really long time. not saying Soriano/Robertson arent good, but losing a HOF closer for the year... you dont ever plan on that, especially a closer.

how did this not become bigger news?

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/7927275/mlb-drops-drug-ban-colorado-rockies-eliezer-alfonzo

NEW YORK -- Major League Baseball and the players' union agreed to drop the 100-game suspension imposed on Colorado Rockies catcher Eliezer Alfonzo for a positive drug test because of the same procedural issues that came up in the Ryan Braun case.

followed by this tasty treat today...

The MLB and MLBPA agreed to modify the joint drug agreement http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/06/07/mlb-mlbpa-announce-modifications-to-joint-drug-agreement/

Included modifications include:

Modifying the Collection Procedures of the Program to clarify when collectors must deliver specimens to the courier, and how specimens should be stored prior to delivery to the courier.

Mike,

There is no doubt that the loss of Mo was a huge mental blow beyond a simple field-personnel issue. Seeing guys cry after the game when they got the news was a bit shocking. I think no one understood the mental effect of his presence more than Rivera himself and that's why he came out so quickly to say he was coming back.

Anyone else really miss George Steinbrenner? I would have loved his take on the Pineida disaster.

I love how competitive the NL East is. Mets, Nats, Marlins are rollin' right now, atlanta is there and philly is a mess. so competitive, especially since you know the phillies are going to get hot sooner or later, that rotation is nasty

This.

Except Miami just got swept by the Braves. First through fourth place are insanely close...and I wouldn't count the Phillies out just yet.

This month I find myself watching more Atlanta games than Texas, who are in pole position to revert to the Rangers of old. Holland on the DL, Oswalt looking shaky in Triple A....I'm sensing a meltdown. Ogando is starting on Sunday, which is going to be interesting.

A lot of basbell left, though.

Oswalt will be fine in the majors, he's a proven MLB pitcher.

also, I need to share this, to show how incredible McCutchen is, even though most know he's great. this gif is of him scoring from 2nd on an infield grounder to SS. he scored from 2nd base on an infield hit.

McCutchen2.gif

Yea McCutchen is awesome and that was a heads up play by him but that SS is an idiot. If he comes up throwing that ball behind McCutchen at third they either get him at 3B or the guy playing third could have thrown him out at home. Or if the SS just came up and threw home as soon as he saw McCutchen rounding third they could have got him there too.

Good play by McCutchen but really dumb play by the SS

How about Trout hitting a triple to LF haha. I thought that was pretty funny a couple weeks ago.

Yeah I mean isn't the point of baseball to protect home plate?? I get trying to fake the runner out, but I'd rather have runners on base than a point on the board any day. He should have thrown home, the way McCutchen was running it would have got home and he would have tried to get back to 3rd and it would have been close depending on how the catcher would throw the ball. Either way though for McCutchen to see the SS stalling is super impressive to be able to score like that.