MLB Discussion

it will be a joke if he doesn't. who cares if he doesn't play the field? i'd rather him sit the bench than be a bad first baseman.

and there is certainly something to be said about being one of the best ever at your position. not to mention how stupidly clutch he is.

more than anything, i want him to make the hall so that 34 gets retired.

He's gotta get to 500 home runs and still has to deal with being named in the Mitchell Report. That still has yet to really shake out. We know that the big steroid users are going to struggle to get in. We still have yet to see how they will treat players that in all likelihood used, stopped, and still performed at an elite level in the era of increased testing.

middlebrooks just went deep. dude's finally coming around, and he's been making a huge impact this week. first the gw 3 run double in the 9th, then the sac bunt that basically won them the next game. 

I have faith in our team. But I also realize how good the Tigers are. I still say Detroit finishes above us. so I shall not be taking that bet.

Agreed. I definitely rooted for Detroit when they were in the WS. Wasn't able to watch the whole game today but we sure lit King Felix up

I don't really get the Profar hype.

Dude's best season is about 10 homers and 20 steals with a .286 average at an A ball level. Oscar Tavaras hit .321 with 20 bombs at double A. Wil Myers hit 37 bombs with a batting average over .300 between double and triple A last year.

I'll give the kid credit for playing decent at an infield position at a very young age. Bright future. But it's like once someone is given that #1 prospect in baseball title they are put on a pedestal. There are 20 other minor leaguers that could help their team more this year than Profar can for the Rangers (at least, based on past performance. Can't predict the future).

Yeah the .370 obp is nice but if it comes with modest power and speed, it's not #1 prospect in baseball nice. It's hard enough to get triple A numbers to translate into the pros, I'm not buying into a guy who's still gotta improve on his minor league numbers to live up. If he did play 155 games at that level in the majors, we are looking at what, .280 avg, .370 obp, 100 runs, 70 rbis, 15 bombs, 20 steals, right? It's very good. Not really much better than what Andrus brings to the table right now. Little better hitting, little less speed. But I just don't think it's enough to justify a #1 ranking.

I guess profar has a profile similar to manny machado and looks like that was a hit for the scouts. Not his fault he is following some world-class prospects in Trout and Harper, with no one in that class out there right now. I just brought it up cause for the first time the #1 prospect in baseball got called up and I said "nah, I'll pass. He's not ready to be a big contributor".

You are simply underrating his age a great deal.

You brougt up the same names I would. You can't look at Trout and Harper and consider it a knock on Profar. Those players did things at 19/20 that we may not see for another 20 years.

At Profars age (months older actually) Machado posted a .700 OPS in A ball and was still the #14 prospect in baseball.

I'm not saying it's right to rank prospects with so much emphasis on things you're still dreaming on, but following just how and why guys are ranked where they are for years, Profar is the slam dunk #1

I am SO glad we are out of that damn city called Cleveland. My heart has never been broken that many times in a row

kudos, tribe

sincerely, sad M's fan

as  a Tribe fan I say kudos to you guys. yall put on a hell of a series. todays game was ridiculous in every way possible. I cant think of a gem right now that measures up to how absurd and amazing it was. 3 walk offs in 4 games, awesome. the next few weeks is going to be very telling for us - Detroit, @Boston, @Cincy, Cincy, Tampa, @NY, @ Detroit, @Texas, Washington

also I just realized how ridiculous part of our schedule is. May 27th and 28th we are at Cincy, May 29th and 30th we play Cincy at home

Fantasy question which can easily relate away. I got offered Samardzija, Homer Bailey, and Wil Myers for Chris Sale. From a fantasy side, I already have seven outfielders for six spots, and the players I'm probably going to have to drop are Adam Lind (duh) and Kyle Kendrick (hmm)...10 man keeper league too. Been trying to trade an outfielder (Parra, Lorenzo Cain, or Victorino, don't want to sell low on Heyward or Cespedes and I can't give up Braun or McCutchen) and Kendrick for a middle infielder, which would upgrade a spot as well as clear up my outfield logjam.

Now let's turn it into a conversation about future production. I'm extremely high on Samardzija and think he's a strong #2 to a lower end ace. Bailey's looked fantastic this year and I'm hoping that this is legit. Then Myers is obviously a top prospect. However, Sale has been absolutely dominant lately, and I'm pretty sure if I hadn't watched him pitch those two games I would have already pulled the trigger. He just looks absolutely studly right now. I don't think Kendrick is going to keep up this production at all, but who knows.  

What do you guys think? I'm itching to pull the trigger but the lack of space worries me.

i would do it for just samardzija and myers. i don't think sale is so dominant that he blows samardzija out of the water, and sale's dominance right now is a perfect opportunity for you to sell high because i don't think he will sustain it, at least not at this rate. kendrick is the hot hand right now so i could foresee him being droppable in the next month (4.19 career ERA and he's not doing any extraordinary this year to make me think otherwise). throwing in bailey just makes it sweeter, but only if you have room, i guess. drop lind and kendrick and trade sale for the other three and that sounds like a great deal to me.

i personally also have reservations about sale's workload... i know he was able to handle a jump from 80 to 190 IP or some shit last year and he endured it, but it doesn't mean he won't wear down again at the end of this year (he wore down last year, too). but that's just me.

i just found out via buster olney's article that the angels traded away patrick corbin in the dan haren trade. fuck. i can't believe it. jean segura was painful enough!!

edit: although as i look at his peripherals, his BB rate is up and his K rate hasn't improved much, and he's giving up just as many fly balls with only 1/4 as many as last year going out of the park. he'll be above average for the rest of the year, but this would be a fantastic opportunity to sell high for a big bat or a legit top-20 starter.

i just found out via buster olney's article that the angels traded away patrick corbin in the dan haren trade. fuck. i can't believe it. jean segura was painful enough!!

edit: although as i look at his peripherals, his BB rate is up and his K rate hasn't improved much, and he's giving up just as many fly balls with only 1/4 as many as last year going out of the park. he'll be above average for the rest of the year, but this would be a fantastic opportunity to sell high for a big bat or a legit top-20 starter.

I heard that yesterday on Sportscenter and got a little sad.

The Angels could have Segura playing SS or 3B even and leading off.

That rotation has to be one of the worst in the league, they are all just flat out terrible. Wilson sucks, Vargas is meh, Blanton might be the worst SP in all of baseball and Hanson is just terrible. Plus Weaver is on the DL and he's the only legit SP they have. They could REALLY use Corbin and its a bummer with what happened to Adenhart a couple years ago. A staff with Weaver, Adenhart, Corbin, Wilson, Richards is actually pretty decent. Obviously if Adenhart would have panned out, that is.

Now they also have the worst farm system in the league with nothing to trade for pitching either. Hopefully at least once the bull pen gets healthy it will help the crappy starting pitching a bit.

I heard that yesterday on Sportscenter and got a little sad.

The Angels could have Segura playing SS or 3B even and leading off.

That rotation has to be one of the worst in the league, they are all just flat out terrible. Wilson sucks, Vargas is meh, Blanton might be the worst SP in all of baseball and Hanson is just terrible. Plus Weaver is on the DL and he's the only legit SP they have. They could REALLY use Corbin and its a bummer with what happened to Adenhart a couple years ago. A staff with Weaver, Adenhart, Corbin, Wilson, Richards is actually pretty decent. Obviously if Adenhart would have panned out, that is.

Now they also have the worst farm system in the league with nothing to trade for pitching either. Hopefully at least once the bull pen gets healthy it will help the crappy starting pitching a bit.

I think the thing that they have going for them is that they are in that "already have a $125 million payroll. Can't go back. Might as well go for $150 and try and compete" area. At least that is what I would think. Could easily see them going out next year and getting 2 new starting pitchers and a 3rd basemen, maybe $20 million a year between the three players.

Holy shit, I totally forgot about that trade. What a bust. Both guys are having big coming out years.

i would do it for just samardzija and myers. i don't think sale is so dominant that he blows samardzija out of the water, and sale's dominance right now is a perfect opportunity for you to sell high because i don't think he will sustain it, at least not at this rate. kendrick is the hot hand right now so i could foresee him being droppable in the next month (4.19 career ERA and he's not doing any extraordinary this year to make me think otherwise). throwing in bailey just makes it sweeter, but only if you have room, i guess. drop lind and kendrick and trade sale for the other three and that sounds like a great deal to me.

i personally also have reservations about sale's workload... i know he was able to handle a jump from 80 to 190 IP or some shit last year and he endured it, but it doesn't mean he won't wear down again at the end of this year (he wore down last year, too). but that's just me.

I agree pretty much all the way. As I said, I'm an enormous believer in Samardzija and feel he could easily be as good if not better than Sale. Plus, it wasn't more than a month and a half ago I was so worried about Sale not being worth a keeper at all.