MLB Discussion

Chris Archer getting the call for the Rays. One of the callups I was really excited for this year. He's going to be great.

thanks for the heads up. so many call-ups recently and i'm looking to add another SP so i've got my eyes on all the fresh faces right now. namely: archer, wacha, odorizzi, skaggs, lyons. let me know if there are any others i'm forgetting! excluding gausman

thanks for the heads up. so many call-ups recently and i'm looking to add another SP so i've got my eyes on all the fresh faces right now. namely: archer, wacha, odorizzi, skaggs, lyons. let me know if there are any others i'm forgetting! excluding gausman

of all the pieces in the Greinke trade, losing Odorizzi was the one I was most bummed about.  really hoping he can find success in Tampa

of all the pieces in the Greinke trade, losing Odorizzi was the one I was most bummed about.  really hoping he can find success in Tampa

He'll be a solid number three at best. He's shown so little in the majors so far but there's plenty of time.

I have him in Fantasy and weep every day when I check it knowing the Angels gave  him up for Grienke. That kid is legit.

I'm shocked he's showing this much power. Though at best he'd be a 10-15 homer guy.

Also, hot damn Chris Davis. he's so incredibly streaky, but when he's on he's been absolutely bananas.

Also, hot damn Chris Davis. he's so incredibly streaky, but when he's on he's been absolutely bananas.

I desire

Any specific teams or just a general list? hahaha. 

Glad to see a few of my boys getting through this year. Koehler has been pitching very solidly for the Marlins, and for the same team Marcell Ozuna has been absolutely fantastic compared to what I thought he'd do this year. Didn't even think he'd be up until late next year.

No teams. Just maybe your top five and reasons why. The reasons are less important if it jives with Prospectus or something and I can read it anyway.

Give me 20 minutes, let me go through my manual, hah. I used to be a lot more intuned with things but it doesn't go right off of my head as much as it used to when I posted far more on minorleagueball. There are specific things I look for and I have gut feelings about lots of things. Projection, low strikeout rates for hitters, etc are a big things of mine. I'll just give a list of some of my favorites with a brief scouting report and reasons why I like them so much.

This is a good exercise for me as well, absolutely love the minors and it's nice to be able to talk about them more often again, hah.

I'm getting halfway through this and realized how ridiculous an exercise this was, hahaha. Basically I'm just giving myself a list of players I like and most of this information means nothing. Should have done a list of big risers outside the mainstream names instead, but it's too late so fuck it.

Alex Wood - SP Braves: He's starting to get quite a bit of hype and could very well be in the top 100 now (or higher), but there's not that much mainstream hype and he's looking like a fantastic player. Second rounder last year out of Georgia, low 90's fastball that touches mid 90's and good changeup. Great frame at 6-4, has been dominating AA in his first year in the minors. Great walk rate combined with a strong K rate and a superb GB rate, could be a really good #3 to #2 guy. Wouldn't be surprised to see him come up middle of next year and do quite well. Another great pitcher the Braves seem to have found here.

Josh Hader - SP Orioles: Young lefty drafted out of high school last year, only signed for 40k in the 19th round. Really lanky frame, listed at 6'3 160 so he could still gain a lot of weight and velocity. He's up into the 90's now, and is doing very well in A ball at the age of 19. He's been compared to Chris Sale, and obviously he's a high upside, low minors guy that has a long way to go but could be topping lists soon.

Parker Bridwell - SP Orioles: Getting rocked in his third year in a row in A ball, but his strikeout rate is up and his walk rate is down. Was a bigger prospect a few years ago before struggling, but I love his stuff. Really powerful fastball that hit the high 90's but fell a bit, and I really hope it goes up. I may be holding onto this one a little too long, but let's hope for the best. Again, that long, projectable 6'4 190lb frame I love.

Jose Ramirez - 2b Indians: Really tiny guy at 5'9 165, but he's done nothing but hit. Struggling a little this year, but he had the big jump from low A to AA ball and he's not striking out much at all. not much power but he could come out of nowhere in an Altuve sense later on. Very solid speed too, stealing 17 already this year.

Brenny Paulino - SP Tigers: Same story as the other pitchers. Projectable but already throws super hard, hitting 97 in 2011. I say 2011 because he missed all of last year. Honestly don't know what's going on with him but he's a guy I really hope comes back soon.

Austin Barnes - 2B/C Marlins: Yeah, he played both 2B and C last year. A player athletic to do that really appeals to me. He's older, 23 all year and only in A ball, but he hit for decent power last year (even though that's not his thing) and good average, as well as strong walk and strikeout rates. I always fall in love with these guys, last few I liked didn't pan out but who knows. Maybe I'll hit on this one.

Orlando Arcia - SS Brewers: Brother of Oswaldo Arcia from the Twins, another player that missed all year last year. He's back and in A ball as an 18 year old, and he's striking out very little and holding his own as one of the youngest players in the league. Great fielding potential, good raw power, here's one guy you may want to remember in a few years.

Gabriel Ynoa - SP Mets: Another young, projectable guy but he's already showing great control. Needs to work on secondary pitches and was a trendy pick coming into this year and his stock has been way up after dominating A ball so far. Mets are getting pretty stacked in pitching prospects with Wheeler, Syndergaard, Montero, Domingo Tapia, and more.

Tyson Gillies - OF Phillies: Oh fuck it, forget it, I give up. Biggest bummer too, I was insanely high on him a few years ago, ended up having a break out season, then ended up shitting all over me. God damnit Tyson. Thanks for making me look bad. Almost felt he had a chance to recover after a great year last year but he's been terrible and ended up being demoted. So yeah. I suck.

Tyler Glasnow - SP Pirates: I know a ton of people very very high on him, and he reminds them of Syndergaard. 6'7 guy holding only 200 pounds, is hitting the high 90's now and has an absolutely unreal strikeout rate. like, 64 in 42 innings. Only 18 hits as well, but that's with over 30 walks. So you can kind of see the profile there.

Mike O'Neill - OF Cardinals: I don't actually love him that much but I wanted to talk about his insane profile. Just look up his stats. 35/12 BB/K ratio this year, hitting 344 in AA. I've never seen anything like it.

Keyvius Sampson - SP Padres: He's been up and down for a few years now but i've always been a fan. Strikes out a lot a hitters and has some really solid stuff, got bumped up to AA last year and did solid, but not well enough for people to take notice. That two level bump hides some really quality performances since people expect them to succeed immediately. There's an adjustment period and he did well enough for me. Got bumped up again to AAA but since has been demoted and has done very well back in AA again. Which is where he should have started this year after being in A+ last year. But whatever. 

Jabari Blash - OF Mariners: Absolutely crushing A+ but it's in High Desert so be warned. I do like him as a big time athlete, huge tools but a lot of strikeouts. Decent walk rate though. 

Felipe Rivero - SP Rays: Another rays starting pitcher getting brought along slowly with decent stuff and nice command. Reminds me of Cobb's path coming up through the minors. 

Nick Williams - OF Rangers: Shocks me that he was rated so low on prospect lists. I saw him next to Brinson (if not better in the long run, which i may think he is). Was a potential first rounder last year that fell off throughout the year, huge athlete that's shows great speed and big power. He's hit very well at a young age even though he strikes out a lot and walks little. One of those boom or bust athletes that I see booming.

Yeah this was dumb.

Looks like you're in for a treat, Braves called Wood up and DFA'd Juan Francisco

Oh shit. Did not see that coming so quickly. 

Also surprised about DFA'ing Juan Francisco. Wasn't he going to be their 3B replacement for Chipper, at least temporarily? Guess that didn't pan out at all. He's definitely not a bad player. Chris Johnson is being held up by luck right now, they really need someone there.

Rays call up Alex Colome. Starts against the Marlins Thursday. Definitely at least streamable.

Hmm. Colome and Archer all in one weekend. Interesting. Not sure Colome's ready, but that'll be a fun start to watch.

Also, not sure if he was mentioned, but keep an eye on Kyle Gibson as well. Should be up soon and could easily be the Twins best starter...this year. Not that that's a high bar or anything... 

Oh shit. Did not see that coming so quickly. 

Also surprised about DFA'ing Juan Francisco. Wasn't he going to be their 3B replacement for Chipper, at least temporarily? Guess that didn't pan out at all. He's definitely not a bad player. Chris Johnson is being held up by luck right now, they really need someone there.

A 3B to the Braves seems like the most obvious trade that could happen this year. They've got lots of young arms and maybe Gattis, depending on their plans with Mccann. Not that they are in a rush to trade Gattis, but he looks too talented to be a utility man.

A 3B to the Braves seems like the most obvious trade that could happen this year. They've got lots of young arms and maybe Gattis, depending on their plans with Mccann. Not that they are in a rush to trade Gattis, but he looks too talented to be a utility man.

since milwaukee has been a mess this year there has already been rumors of players who could be moved and A-Ram is one of them.  I, for one, would be surprised if they threw in the towel on next season already by trading A-Ram, but i guess we'll see what happens.