MLB Discussion

On what planet, even pre-season, was that staff a weak point?

You done good.

I mean, in a 10 team keeper league as the defending champion, coming in with a Sale, Darvish, Anibal, Brett Anderson, Holland top 5 wasn't so appealing, hah. Chose not to keep Cueto or Medlen. Fernandez and Miller were both pickups and Burnett was a late round flyer. Safe to say it turned out far better than expected.

seriously. where's the weak point? i'm guessing you added miller, fernandez and mujica (and maybe holland?) to replace whoever was dragging you down... which, by the way, who was it that was dragging you down?

Well, my team coming into the year was:

Braun, McCutchen, Cespedes, Heyward, Encarnacion, Kinsler, Hosmer (ugh, shouldn't have done that, should have kept Cueto or Zobrist intead), Hanley (traded Billy Butler and BJ Upton for him to cut down on spots), Sale, and Darvish. Didn't keep Cueto, Zobrist, Medlen. Waited on pitching, everyone felt pitching would be my weak link this season. At the very least middle of the pack, not close to the top, and definitely not better than my awesome offense.

Nice. Reminds me how zumaya could throw 101 but couldn't toss it to first with a guy walking the baseline. Those guys muscles just aren't adapted to slowing down sometimes I guess.

There's a pretty funny video of manny sliding recently in Japan that can probably be found with a few keywords in YouTube.

One of the hardest throws for a pitcher is to first base.

Isn't there another thread where people can talk about their fantasy teams?

There really should be.  I watched the 30 For 30 Silly Little Game the other day and it gave me a new outlook on fantasy sports.

There's nothing more annoying than having to listen/read people talk about their fantasy sports teams.

I should probably follow that up with an explaination.  There was a point in my life where I was the commisioner/ran 11 "fantasy" sports leagues (1 MLB fantasy league, 2 NFL fantasy leagues, 1 NBA fantasy league, 1 NHL fantasy league, 1 CFL fantasy league [that was a mistake], 2 NCAA March Madness pools, 1 NHL playoff pool, 1 NFL playoff pool, 1 NBA playoff pool).  If there's one thing that I learned over that period of time it's that people will talk to you for hours about their fantasy sports team when they find out you're a commisoner.  They figure you have some insight that will help their shitty team make the playoffs.  It's actually resulted in me backing out from all of my leagues except two (I'm in a baseball pool which I will be quitting after this season), then I run a hockey pool which is all family members which I will keep going for as long as I can.

Fantasy sports are here to stay whether you play them or not. There's a line, though. Seems like it's totally fine to discuss a rookie who is tearing it up in fantasy and whether he will continue or to maybe discuss a trade, because it translates into an analysis of the real game.

Something like this, I just skip over without reading. Brings nothing to the discussion of the game. I don't care if others want to post it, though.

Well, my team coming into the year was:

Braun, McCutchen, Cespedes, Heyward, Encarnacion, Kinsler, Hosmer (ugh, shouldn't have done that, should have kept Cueto or Zobrist intead), Hanley (traded Billy Butler and BJ Upton for him to cut down on spots), Sale, and Darvish. Didn't keep Cueto, Zobrist, Medlen. Waited on pitching, everyone felt pitching would be my weak link this season. At the very least middle of the pack, not close to the top, and definitely not better than my awesome offense.

Cardinals are freaking loaded. How can you have a guy like Matt Adams and not even be able to find a spot for him? And they have one of the couple best prospects in baseball ready when needed. 5th starter is a hole but who cares if you are in first in your division and only need 4 when the playoffs start. 2nd in run differential (behind my Tigs!). Shelby Miller looks sick.

Arguably best team in baseball. Adams going to be a huge asset if they end up in the world series needing a DH.

And eff the Indians. Don't scare me at all. Equal hitting staff to the Tigers but our pitching blows Cleveland's out of the water. Cleveland can't score 10 runs every night.

Cardinals are freaking loaded. How can you have a guy like Matt Adams and not even be able to find a spot for him? And they have one of the couple best prospects in baseball ready when needed. 5th starter is a hole but who cares if you are in first in your division and only need 4 when the playoffs start. 2nd in run differential (behind my Tigs!). Shelby Miller looks sick.

Arguably best team in baseball. Adams going to be a huge asset if they end up in the world series needing a DH.

And eff the Indians. Don't scare me at all. Equal hitting staff to the Tigers but our pitching blows Cleveland's out of the water. Cleveland can't score 10 runs every night.

They are about to tonight against the Mariners baybay! Haha

You know what I can't wrap my head around with Cleveland, it seems as though their entire team is made up of guys who have fallen out of the spotlight.

Yea I have Weaver in my league as well. I think he'll be fine, I keep hearing end of the month for him. I'm a little worried about his velocity just cause he didn't throw very hard to begin with but he's not really a guy who needs to throw hard to be dominant. If he's down in the mid 80s that could be a problem though.

I still have no idea why the hell Phil Hughes is still on the roster. If George was still alive he'd be long gone. I always say I wish the Yankees just lost 33 games a year, those being all of Phil Hughes starts.

Hughes should be converted to a middle reliever. His contract is up anyway and some smaller market will sign him as a 4 or 5 starter. He never developed into what was expected and I don't see the Yankees making him a priority this off-season. 

what a ridiculous game for ortiz last night. 2 hrs, 6 rbis.

he now has the most multi homer games in sox history, passing teddy fuckin' ballgame.

what a ridiculous game for ortiz last night. 2 hrs, 6 rbis.

he now has the most multi homer games in sox history, passing teddy fuckin' ballgame.

37, almost 38 years old. I could see him playing into low 40s like Thome. Same type of player. Already gets it done without any legs so as long as the bat speed is there, who cares.

Awesome dude. Always funny to remember that the Twins cut him because they said he didn't have enough power. Hope he makes the Hall eventually.