MLB Discussion

Braun is innocent - but I am a Brewers fan.  The MLB has a vendetta against Braun since he won his appeal case and they are going after him even if they don't have solid evidence (Bosch basically confirmed Braun's reasoning for being on the list a few months ago, before the MLB started giving him deals to cooperate with their investigation).  It's whatever at this point - if Braun is gonna be suspended at least it's in a season where the Brewers are absolute dogshit.

anyways, I have a huge man crush on Puig.  Need to find a player tee of his ASAP this week.  Wonder if the Dodgers team store is scrambling to print some up by the weekend.

honestly I don't see how anyone can read this -"In exchange for Bosch’s full cooperation, sources said, Major League Baseball will drop the lawsuit it filed against Bosch in March, indemnify him for any liability arising from his cooperation, provide personal security for him and even put in a good word with any law enforcement agency that might bring charges against him." - and still give any credibility to Bosch’s story. That’s from the ESPN article and proves exactly why there should be no stock put into this accusation. Of course Bosch is going to say whatever the MLB wants him to if they offer him that in exchange. He’s throwing all these players under the bus, including Braun who he previously provided an alibi for, just to save his own ass.

"Bosch basically confirmed Braun's reasoning for being on the list a few months ago, before the MLB started giving him deals to cooperate with their investigation"

He also confirmed that he was lying

I guess you can say he has reason to lie, but what were the other 19 players doing on the list? 19 players bought steroids, but Braun did not? Braun of course says he paid $30k for consultaton, which I also find to be a terrible excuse.

"Bosch basically confirmed Braun's reasoning for being on the list a few months ago, before the MLB started giving him deals to cooperate with their investigation"

He also confirmed that he was lying

I guess you can say he has reason to lie, but what were the other 19 players doing on the list? 19 players bought steroids, but Braun did not? Braun of course says he paid $30k for consultaton, which I also find to be a terrible excuse.

I don't.  The leak of Braun's failed test came from someone in Florida where the Biogenesis lab is conveniently located.  all the other players who bought steroids had larger sums of money next to their names as well.  

anyways, the point is that Bosch is a convicted liar - he is lying about everything now because the MLB is basically blackmailing him into saying whatever they want him to say.  Of course he's going to say he is lying about it now - the MLB has his balls in a vice grip.

look, the results of the test and what happened in the previous arbitration are meaningless right now.  they cannot revist that arbitration, it is sealed.  this is absurd that the MLB thinks they can bypass a 50-game suspension and go straight to a 100-game suspension.  this will get overturned in arbitration as MLB will not meet just cause.  the CBA/JDA has a clearly defined discipline structure... if they were to levy a 50-game suspension on Braun/Arod, then the PA would have a more challenging case to overturn it.. but going straight to a 100 game suspension for any player who has not previously been suspended will be overturned.  Also, they cannot, from my understanding of the CBA/JDA, levy two suspensions at the same time, which is what the MLB is trying to say they are going to do to Braun/Arod.  The precident this would set would be catistrophic to the players association... you can be assured this will never actually happen. 

its no longer about test results, its all about contract language.  MLB will levy a suspension based on the testimony they get from Bosch.  the MLBPA will say that the MLB did not have just cause to levy said suspension on ____ player.  it doesnt matter who is or isnt guilty of actually taking PED's anymore, its about whether or not the MLB has followed the procedures as defined in the agreed upon CBA to have just cause to levy any suspensions at all.

I am tryng to play this out in my mind how direct/cross examination of Bosch would go in the actual arbitration hearing... it seriously is making my brain explode. 

look, the results of the test and what happened in the previous arbitration are meaningless right now.  they cannot revist that arbitration, it is sealed.  this is absurd that the MLB thinks they can bypass a 50-game suspension and go straight to a 100-game suspension.  this will get overturned in arbitration as MLB will not meet just cause.  the CBA/JDA has a clearly defined discipline structure... if they were to levy a 50-game suspension on Braun/Arod, then the PA would have a more challenging case to overturn it.. but going straight to a 100 game suspension for any player who has not previously been suspended will be overturned.  Also, they cannot, from my understanding of the CBA/JDA, levy two suspensions at the same time, which is what the MLB is trying to say they are going to do to Braun/Arod.  The precident this would set would be catistrophic to the players association... you can be assured this will never actually happen. 

that's what I was confused about. It's 50 for a first offense, and they haven't gotten suspended before, therefore how can they go to 100?

Sounds like a load of BS that's going to be fought hard for quite a while.

that's what I was confused about. It's 50 for a first offense, and they haven't gotten suspended before, therefore how can they go to 100?

Sounds like a load of BS that's going to be fought hard for quite a while.

It's 50 Games for the PEDs and then 50 games for lying about during previous investigations.  So 2 separate 50 game suspensions, not one big 100 game one. (from what I understand at least.)

honestly I don't see how anyone can read this -"In exchange for Bosch’s full cooperation, sources said, Major League Baseball will drop the lawsuit it filed against Bosch in March, indemnify him for any liability arising from his cooperation, provide personal security for him and even put in a good word with any law enforcement agency that might bring charges against him." - and still give any credibility to Bosch’s story. That’s from the ESPN article and proves exactly why there should be no stock put into this accusation. Of course Bosch is going to say whatever the MLB wants him to if they offer him that in exchange. He’s throwing all these players under the bus, including Braun who he previously provided an alibi for, just to save his own ass.

But there are really only two cases, right? He was supplying steroids or he wasn't. So if he wasn't, there would be no supporting evidence and he could tell the truth.

I guess the only exception is if you want to say he was supplying steroids to random people but not players, then flipped on the players to get out of trouble for supplying to joe blow bodybuilder? Seems pretty far fetched to me.

I agree the 100 games thing is stupid. Are they maybe just asking for a 100 and hoping for 50? Not sure how these arbitration cases go down. Seems like one side would win or the other, not split the difference. Unless it could be split into two separate "charges".

Anyone know where to read the specific PED language in the players union contract? How long is it? Just wondering if there is a specific line in there that MLB is using to justify going after 100 games.

But there are really only two cases, right? He was supplying steroids or he wasn't. So if he wasn't, there would be no supporting evidence and he could tell the truth.

I guess the only exception is if you want to say he was supplying steroids to random people but not players, then flipped on the players to get out of trouble for supplying to joe blow bodybuilder? Seems pretty far fetched to me.

I agree the 100 games thing is stupid. Are they maybe just asking for a 100 and hoping for 50? Not sure how these arbitration cases go down. Seems like one side would win or the other, not split the difference. Unless it could be split into two separate "charges".

Anyone know where to read the specific PED language in the players union contract? How long is it? Just wondering if there is a specific line in there that MLB is using to justify going after 100 games.

discipline is outlined in the Joint Drug AGreement, its an additional document to supplement the CBA.  the discipline is strict, and especially in arbitration, its not up to the arbitrator to decide the penalty to be given.. by the time a case gets to arbitration the question isnt "what should the penalty be?" its "were there facts and was proper procedure followed to warrant the penalty given?".  

I have the CBA and JDA on my laptop at work, i'll get you the page numbers when I go in tomorrow

I have read it is 50 for one, 50 for another, for a total of 100 games... but in the article i posted, I cant imagine the MLB has much chance in suspending anyone.

He was getting a ton of swings and misses on fastballs when I was watching, pretty interesting.

20 K's in his last two starts -- looks like he has finally found his rhythm. i regret dropping him but his adjustment period was painfully long.

pirates can be pretty terrible, dont let their record fool you

mlb and espn analysts have been quick to defend the pirates because their run differential is much better than last season's at this point with a similar record, but they still have the worst run differential for any team with a winning record -- and they're 10 games above .500. even the 30-29 indians have a better run differential. so i'm with you on this one. it's just not sustainable.