MLB Discussion

The point I am trying to make is that fewest dollars per win is an incredibly misleading metric to show the quality of an organization (at least when comparing small franchises to large ones. It has more meaning when comparing small franchise to small franchise).

The Tigers were a shit organization before the Dombrowski/Leyland regime. No argument there. Still has nothing to do with the current team. Trammell isn't managing, Higginson isn't playing left field, and Urbina is in a jail in Venezuela for attacking farmers with a machete. Who cares?

why, because i hate a fraud of a franchise who has been celebrating every day this past week as if they've done something?

look what happens when they get matched up with a real team.

I'm indifferent about your opinion on the celebrations, but how is this franchise a fraud? They've won 85+ games every year since '08 in a division where the Red Sox and the Yankees spend $140+ million a year on payroll. They also run of the best organizations in baseball considering their payroll limitations, low revenue, lousy fan support, and high player turnover. They also have won more division titles in that time than the Red Sox. So how is this franchise a fraud? Ever heard of Jeffrey Loria and the Marlins?

Also LOL at David Price for getting mad at Ortiz. I like David Price for the most part, but shut up and don't give up two home runs to Ortiz if you don't want him to stare (the second being a ball which was potentially foul.) Don't be that "respect the game" police and instead strike him out next time and be that guy who pumps his fist (like he usually does) or be the guy you wanted Ortiz to be and be that stoic old man baseball police robot.

i have a pretty big sonny gray boner right now. K rate seems unsustainable but he has been dominant and i've loved every second of it!

the rays have a done an excellent job with the resources they have. and joe maddon does an excellent job managing the team. with that said they never stood a chance this postseason.

and with THAT said, all these red sox games are going to be high scoring... their rotation just isn't that good.

Alburquerque, Villarreal, and Coke are the reason the Tigers didn't win 100 games this year. They just cough up leads over and over again.

Al is the only one who made the playoff roster, but he would be the last guy I used out of the pen. Ride these starters 7 innings with veras, smyly, and Benoit taking it from there. Poor cello mops up any other innings. Leave the scrubs on the bench when it matters.

Alburquerque, Villarreal, and Coke are the reason the Tigers didn't win 100 games this year. They just cough up leads over and over again.

Al is the only one who made the playoff roster, but he would be the last guy I used out of the pen. Ride these starters 7 innings with veras, smyly, and Benoit taking it from there. Poor cello mops up any other innings. Leave the scrubs on the bench when it matters.

Totally forgot they had Veras. Alburquerque is garb, but I figured it was sort of a "someone has to pitch" situation...but why not Veras?

Also, the road team "saving" the closer is so stupid

Also Sonny Gray was impressive. That was a great game...except why was CB Bucknor behind the plate? Easily one of the worst umpires in baseball. He should be nowhere near a baseball stadium during the playoffs...let alone ever.

It's seriously baffling to me. He's probably the second worst in the league alone with Danley, behind Hernandez. You have players on twitter that can't believe he's an ump in a playoff game. When that's the case, it's a major problem. Even in game 1, he had 3 close calls and got 2 of them wrong.

why can't i have a boss like that? haha

He originally thought he'd have an extra ticket to the wild card game for me but that ended up falling through. I think he felt bad about that and hooked it up with the ticket today. 

Thanks though, guys. That was such a fun and hectic game to witness. The crowd was INSANE for starting lineups and the first inning or two. I was kind of disappointed that people seemed to lose interest in keeping it loud in the middle innings but everybody came alive again around the 6th or so and didn't back off after that. 

A buddy of mine got 2 tickets for tomorrow's game so it looks like I'll be there for that one too. I'd love to see them finish this at PNC; I'd completely lose my shit. 

went home to edinboro for a wedding this weekend, turns out it was homecoming as well, so we went out to the bar my buds worked at/we always drank at and I ran into guys I played in little league with in the 80s/90s.  We got to talking about playing little league games as members of the buccos (van slyke, bonds, bonnila, jay bell, jeff king) and how awful I was and how awesome everyone else was (no joke one game I pitched and my dad was the ump and I walked 6 batters in a row.  I walked in two runs. and my dad was the ump. but I could hit, boy could I hit!) and how incredible this playoff run has been so far as it was in 91/92.  I hadnt seen some of those guys in probably close to 15 years, it was a lot of fun. 

/nostalga