MLB Discussion

The only reason that teams otherwise left for dead by MLB can compete is brilliance from GM's like Beane and Friedman. Despite their brilliance, these specific runs will end soon because of a lack of resources, and they'll have to rebuild from the bottom up. And despite their brilliance, success with such a glaring disadvantage is not an assurance, and futility can and eventually will end up prolonged. 

Now part of this is venting when I'm pissed. The A's, despite their $62 million payroll, gave that series away. But they're facing a team that spends $86 million more than they do. $86 million is Verlander + Cabrera + Martinez + Hunter + Sanchez + Benoit with $6 million to spare. No other sport would be able to survive with such a discrepancy. Baseball takes advantage of brilliant GM's.

While a salary cap would help, it wouldn't solve everything. There's two groups who do not want a salary cap: The teams like the Yankees, Red Sox, Dodgers etc who have the money for high payrolls and the ever powerful MLB Players Union. Owners would love to keep more of a cut in their pocket overall with a salary cap, but if spending turns into revenue, they won't argue. Also the Players Union is the most powerful in sports.

While a salary cap would help, it wouldn't solve everything. There's two groups who do not want a salary cap: The teams like the Yankees, Red Sox, Dodgers etc who have the money for high payrolls and the ever powerful MLB Players Union. Owners would love to keep more of a cut in their pocket overall with a salary cap, but if spending turns into revenue, they won't argue. Also the Players Union is the most powerful in sports.

And the small market teams who make more money than they could under a salary cap due to profit sharing.

If Wacha beats the Dodgers tonight they have absolutely no chance.

this. the cards have pretty much closed the door already. wainwright should be fine in LA against, who, nolasco? ryu? doesn't matter. best-case scenario doyers head back into st. louis for game 6 down 3-2. i just don't see it.

in the doyers' defense, though, i would have sent out kershaw for an away game rather than a home game, too. best chance of evening the series before going home for three games where you have home field advantage. and like clockwork kershaw pitched great. too bad no one fucks with wacha.

i'm calling for my money back. read the description on my phone today and it's only for nl games.

everything is making me fucking rage right now. 

that ordeal. the red sox. the umps calling every. single. boarderline call in the tigers favor. the handful of friends who separately blew us off tonight. the cop who hit me with a $100 ticket simply because he felt like it.

this game is blacked out with the mlb package i just bought? this is absolutely fucking absurd.

shit, should've warned you... i haven't been able to watch a mariners game all season. which is probably a good thing. but yeah, you can watch every game except the one in the market in which it detects you.