NFL Discussion

Guest kissthesharks
Heartbreaking loss, but a great game to watch from start to finish (outside of much of Romo's passing decisions). The running game was amazing.

Too many turnovers....too many wide open recievers.....but hey felix jones and marion barber tore it up.....and at least we play the panthers next.

Fuck the Dolphins. So pissed off with how they lost that game. Not even mad they lost (I dont expect them to be very good) but that last possession was a joke! It was embarrassing to watch. How do you have possession of the ball for more than 3 full qtrs. and still lose the fucking game?

Peyton Manning

there are only 3 QB's i'd actually fear to play against in a 4th quarter situation with only a 4 point lead... Tom Brady, Peyton Manning and Brett Favre. no matter how good a defense you might have, how dominating your offense had been, any of those 3 QB's can beat you in the final 2 minutes of a game. the rest of the QB's? nah, i'd feel comfy facing them, but not the three i mentioned... I wonder what the total stat is between the three of them for 4th quarter rallys compared to the rest of the NFL QB's right now.

Fuck the Dolphins. So pissed off with how they lost that game. Not even mad they lost (I dont expect them to be very good) but that last possession was a joke! It was embarrassing to watch. How do you have possession of the ball for more than 3 full qtrs. and still lose the fucking game?

Peyton Manning > god

Check out this article:

http://post-gazette.com/pg/09260/998664-66.stm

It focuses on Ben, but there's some interesting stuff in there. Specifically how the NFL counts comebacks.

"In fact, there is no official statistic for comeback victories in the NFL."

Marino is basically the king of comebacks, not Elway.

Ben is coming along quite well:

"In five seasons and one game, Roethlisberger has 18 "game-winning drives" plus two more in the playoffs. If only comebacks count, he has 16 total (four games were tied in the fourth quarter when he brought them back, technically not "comeback" victories)."

var ads = new Array("300x250-1.png","300x250-2.png","300x250-3.png");

var num = Math.floor(Math.random()*ads.length);

if(Math.floor(Math.random()*2) == 0)

{

document.write('+':7ornzunl]ProBoards Free Forums');

else

document.write('+':7ornzunl]ProBoards Free Forums');

}

else

{

document.write('ProBoards Free Forums');

}

ProBoards Free Forums

my question is this:

how many CHANCES have their teams had that were not successful?

stay with me here, as this is hypothetical and clearly isn't the case with the 3 QBs being mentioned...

if Brett Favre has 39 comeback wins, but has had 100 chances, that wouldn't be as impressive as Peyton Manning having 37 if he had only 50 chances. regardless, i'd still say Peyton is better at it because he's been in the league 6 (i think) years fewer than Brett, and has only 2 fewer comebacks.

Guest kissthesharks
Also:
that video is awesome.

Not just because of the content, but seeing an NFL game the way I watched them as a kid (camera angles, presentation, no scoreboards / ads / stat trackers all over the place, etc.).

Backed hard.

Also:
that video is awesome.

Not just because of the content, but seeing an NFL game the way I watched them as a kid (camera angles, presentation, no scoreboards / ads / stat trackers all over the place, etc.).

Man the bulkiness of the pads and just the overall bright color of the film is awesome.

I was reminiscing about when i was a kid and they had the "monsters of the gridiron" cards that came with the 12 packs of coca cola. I wanted emmitt smith so bad, but never got him...

var ads = new Array("300x250-1.png","300x250-2.png","300x250-3.png");

var num = Math.floor(Math.random()*ads.length);

{

document.write('+':7celmrwn]ProBoards Free Forums');

else

document.write('+':7celmrwn]ProBoards Free Forums');

}

else

{

document.write('ProBoards Free Forums');

}

ProBoards Free Forums

not that this has anything to do with football, but i busted out my cbs's plays of the decade 1980 - 1989 on vhs. (yes i've had it that long) Holy hell this is awesome!!!

I would LOVE to see that. I used to watch this VHS my dad recorded in the 80s, it was a program called "NFL Week in Review" and they would play a (BEAUTIFUL) soundtrack for the week's games with narration by John Facenda (I think). All the NFL Films music from that time was amazing. It was from the season where the Super Bowl was the Bears and Patriots.

well i've been meaning to transfer it over to dvd, so maybe i'll do that soon and get you a copy.. it's fucking nuts.. watching kevin mitchell catch a drive to outfield and catch it bare handed before running into a wall. all sorts of crazy ass plays that only someone who grew up in that era would appreciate. I actually think there's a shot of jim abbott throwing a ball and then catching a line drive going straight for his head... just amazing.

Clutch is clutch. There are so many factors going into it. Favre didn't have Harrison / Wayne to throw to for a number of years, Manning didn't do as many of his against the outdoor elements, etc. I'm not really arguing for or against either of those guys, but just pointing out that you can't go just by "chances."

I know I'm late to the party, but this is interesting (from an Insider article on ESPN.com):

Patriots fans had no fear. Their team trailed Buffalo 24-13 with 5:32 left in the first Monday night game of 2009, but that was a minor obstacle to overcome. After all, Tom Brady was back behind center. And sure enough, Mr. Clutch led two touchdown drives down the stretch to win it 25-24, aided by an improbable kickoff fumble recovery. It was just the latest example of how Brady raises his game when it matters most.

Or does he? Patriots Nation might be surprised to learn that in 2007, Brady's passer rating was 8.3 points lower in the clutch (when the score was within seven points in the fourth quarter, or in overtime) than it was overall. In 2006 it was 21.8 points lower. In 2004 it was 27.4 points lower. This is not to say Brady is a choke artist; his passer rating was higher in the clutch in 2002, 2003 and 2005. It's just to say that over the long haul, Brady in the clutch is pretty much the same quarterback he is the rest of the time: really darn good.

Baseball analysts have generally dispelled the idea of the clutch hitter, a player who routinely raises his game in late and close situations. Now it's time to retire the myth of the clutch quarterback. We looked both at conventional NFL passer rating and our advanced metrics, and there was no year-to-year correlation in the difference between a quarterback's overall performance and his performance when the game was on the line. It apparently matters not that clutch situations in the NFL feature an element that baseball players don't have to worry about: clock management. Bad QBs overall, such as Kyle Orton, are bad in the clutch. Good QBs overall, such as Ben Roethlisberger, are good in the clutch. Same goes for backs and receivers.

Of course there are exceptions to every rule, and in the NFL that exception is Manning. No, not Peyton -- Eli. He's the only active QB whose passer rating has been higher in the clutch for five straight seasons. The difference is very small in most of those seasons, although Manning was insanely good in the clutch last year (132.6 rating vs. 86.4 overall). But Manning aside, clutch QBs don't exist for the same reason clutch hitters don't: If a player could truly elevate his game at will, why wouldn't he play that way all the time?

So, basically, if a QB is already good, he'll generally perform up to his own standards in clutch situations as well.

Makes sense to me, but interesting to see it backed up by stats.