NFL Discussion

it is unfair to blame it all on Romo (even though it's fun to make fun of it) but yeah the Cowboys defense was garbage and the offensive play calling was even worse.  If the Cowboys weren't in the playoff hunt, I wouldn't have been surprised to see Jerry give Garrett the boot tomorrow.  I mean, he'll still get fired after the season but man.

No he wont. Jerry Jones sucks his dick so hard its insane. Him and Kiffen will both have jobs. 

between the Seahawks shutting down the Giants in their own house and Dallas completely blowing it (again) i'd say it was a very good day yesterday :)

Giants always find a way to suck at the Meadowlands.  As a Giants fan, I honestly thought they had a good shot at getting shut out.  That Seattle D line against one of the worst offensive lines around... wooooof.  

If I was Jerry Jones, I'd fire the entire coaching staff, step down as general manager, and sign a blank check to Jon Gruden. 

why would gruden coach again?  He has nothing to prove.  He won a super bowl with the bucs of all teams.  And why go to the Cowboys?

He has it made right now....He doesn't have to deal with the stress associated with coaching,  only has to "work" 1 day a week (how tough can a few production meetings a week be),  and still gets paid a pretty solid paycheck (5 years at espn at 4 mill a year)  

why would gruden coach again?  He has nothing to prove.  He won a super bowl with the bucs of all teams.  And why go to the Cowboys?

He has it made right now....He doesn't have to deal with the stress associated with coaching,  only has to "work" 1 day a week (how tough can a few production meetings a week be),  and still gets paid a pretty solid paycheck (5 years at espn at 4 mill a year)  

Maybe he likes coaching?

I'm not saying it will happen (or that it will happen with the Cowboys), but going back doesn't have to be about proving something. It could just be about missing the thrill of his old job.

How good can those guys be if they have been out of it for years?

Even if it was just a personal choice not to coach and now they are ready, doesn't the time away hurt their ability to coach? The players are less familiar, the playbook (and the opponents) is less familiar. They would just have a lot of catching up to do. Would much rather any team I rooted for went for an up and coming coordinator than a fading former head coach.

There are plenty of guys out there who would make good head coaches in the NFL. I don't see why any team should give a coach more than 2 years of under .500 football in today's league. There will ALWAYS be somebody out there who can do better than that.

It's almost by design that half the teams have to be under .500 each year. By your standard there would be about 8 coaches fired every year. Seems excessive.

It's almost by design that half the teams have to be under .500 each year. By your standard there would be about 8 coaches fired every year. Seems excessive.

Not that it's the average but 8 were fired last year. I guess it's wrong of me to say that's all the head coaches fault, a lot of these teams need new GM's too.

Not that it's the average but 8 were fired last year. I guess it's wrong of me to say that's all the head coaches fault, a lot of these teams need new GM's too.

I think if you've got a competent team, then that's a reasonable standard to live up too. If you've got a subpar set of players then I think improving the record each season should be the goal. And first time head coaches should also get a buffer year before they get judged harshly.

Think it's going to take somewhere on the order of 7-10 years under the new system until the old rookie pay system isn't hurting some of these teams. Those huge contracts blew up their cap and they had to restructure to get out of them, they couldn't sign free agents, became known as losers, no one wanted to play there for a little less. Just a vicious cycle.

Think things will be a little different in a few more years though. It's not going to be like parity is so huge that one game over .500 gets you to the playoffs but on average, it will give the lower teams in the standings one more victory and the teams high in the standings one less.

I think if you've got a competent team, then that's a reasonable standard to live up too. If you've got a subpar set of players then I think improving the record each season should be the goal. And first time head coaches should also get a buffer year before they get judged harshly.

Schwartz is a hard one to judge. Inherited 0-16 team. 2 wins, 6 wins, 10 wins (playoffs), 4 wins, slightly above .500 this year. Progression followed by regression.