LEAST you've ever spent to see a show?

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

moneen are sweet dudes. snuck me into their show at sxsw a couple years back.

other than that i got to see kris and jon of the ataris for free because my band opened (and i booked it). aws and near miss because i played with them. forever the sickest kids and metro station because i played with them.

least i've ever PAID was nfg, dashboard, and midtown for 8 bucks at the door. back when they charged nothing for amazing shows.

muse has got to be one of the best live bands ever.

EVER.

mainly when they rip into that final riff/breakdown of stockholm. ugh. makes me sick how powerful that song comes off live.

muse does have a awesome live show, but i always judge a band who can rock out and not need the whole light spectacle...

AT THE DRIVE IN had to be one of my favorite live bands.. or THE RIVERBOAT GAMBLERS are a close second... Well as far as bands that don't need lights and pyrotechnics or whatnot...

Guest lists and free shows do not count, but everything else is fair game.

When P Fresh, my friend Jen, and I went to Fake Hellfest in 2005 we were able to secure enough tickets to every show with the exception of the last gig at the Stone Pony. We only had two tickets and I let Jen and Poppa have them and decided to fend for myself.

It came down to me pretty much begging kids for an extra ticket. One guy offered me his for $100; I scoffed. My chances of getting in were looking bleak as people started entering the venue.

Two older men and a female walked towards the entrance as my tired voice issued the phrase "Excuse me, do you have an extra ticket?" To which the tall gentlemen responded "Well…what’s your name?" I told him and he asked me where I was from; "Pittsburgh, PA." He looked at me smiling and says "I’m in Lifetime." My face turned beat red as I realized I just asked Dave Palaitis, the bassist, for an extra ticket! Quite embarrassing, but he was kind enough to tack me on a plus one to the sold out concert!

We went up to the ticket gate only to hear that they took a + off of everyone's guest lists spots because they over sold and since he was w/ his g/f or wife I was a no go. He told me to wait outside while he went to get his friend who didn't have a + w/ him. His friend and I went up to the ticket gate again and he started talking to the lady, I could tell that she was going to give him the excuse, so I bent down to "tie" my shoe which put me out of view of the lady at the booth and I practically crawled into the venue, hitting a light sprint to burst into the crowd just as the Loved Ones ripped into "100K!"

awesome story man! i remember when taht show got announced and I didn't get tickets in time, i was fucking pissed

i think the least i've spent, aside from free, and aside from seeing friends bands play, is $10. which is weird.

a couple years ago, my buddy and i went to see the casualties/the briefs play in denver, and i forgot about the stupid "ID to prove your 16" rule they have at the bigger venues. so i had already bought my ticket, but the bouncers wouldn't let me in, even though they admitted that i was over 16 (all i had was my college ID). so my buddy goes in, and comes out into the smoking section. We try the whole hand stamp transfer trick, but the stamp lady not only didn't believe that i had gotten a stamp, but that my buddy (who actually did) didn't either. she tells us to wait a second while she stamps some other guy's hand, and then without thinking, we run into the venue while the door bouncers weren't looking. I didn't get into the show for free, but I at least got in! haha it was such a relief when we realized we weren't being chased

while it wasn't MY free ticket persay, when i went with a few friends to see gogol bordello, i got the last ticket, and as it was my bday, my friends were like "go on in, we'll try and scalp some tickets" so i went in, they're not in there. gogol comes on, they're not in there. i walk to the door and i see them outside. i proceed to point to them and then to the ground next to me and they made a mad dash through the door and we made a mad dash into the pit of the venue. good times.

i got a free ticket to see GREEN DAY, BAD RELIGION, and SEAWEED once in San Antonio. My buddy had a extra ticket because his girlfriend broke up with him, and he offered to give me a ride and the ticket for free.. FUCK yea. SEAWEED rocked!!!

the same thing basically happened to me when against me! was touring with the foo fighters

Nothing! In 2004 New Found Glory played the forum in London (3000 people probably), me and a couple of friends turned up in the hopes of buying some tickets on the door or off people with spares outside. Anyway, it was totally sold out and no one wanted to part ways with any tickets, we were pretty fucked and just about to go home when Chad Gilbert opened their dressing room window and shouted down to us why we were leaving already, we explained we didn't have any tickets and he disappeared from the window only to come out the backstage door, open the gate to the bus park, bring us all in and walk us in the door, over the stage and then down into the crowd. That fucking ruled, nicest thing anyone in a band has ever done for me.

But the best was July 4th, maybe 5 years ago, the Goo Goo Dolls played for free downtown and it poured rain on and off. Ani Difranco opened for them, and it was just all around wet mayhem. Soooooooo much fun.

I was at that! My friend called me that morning and asked if I wanted to drive to Buffalo to see Goo Goo Dolls, I love "Superstar Carwash" & before so I said "Sure" ended up being one of the most memorable shows I've ever atteneded.

Actually i have another, more epic story.

Me and a couple of buddies went up to see this 3 day festival in 2005 at the racetrack in the midlands in UK. We literally decided we were gonna go on thursday night, the night before the festival started. So next day i drove us all up there, all we had was a sleeping bag each, cheap booze and a bit of money, fully relying on the fact we were going to get into this thing for free, for all three days and either sleep in my car or make friends and sleep in strangers tents.

Get there late morning on friday, get our drink on and have a wander about, unless you go into the main arena you don't need a pass so we had a good look about and somehow snuck right into the bus park where all of friday's bands had parked. Somewhere in the middle of all this we found a shitty car and an off-duty security guard lying in the back of it, back seats down and the trunk open, slayer or some shit blaring out the windows and a bottle of jack in his hand. The guy was fucked and with almost no persuasion we bought three guest wristbands for the entire weekend for £60 ($120) between us.

Anyways, that was easy enough but the best is definitely yet to come. We watched the rest of the bands that day, and then got absolutely shitfaced in the evening, wandered everywhere and hung out with people who were camping. On returning to the car we walked past the wristband exchange area and noticed that their trash was out waiting to be taken and at the bottom of one of the clear bags were all the "faulty" weekend wristbands. We lifted the lot and wandered back to my car, washed the beer and stuff off them and dried them on my car's air vents. Next day we went about selling the entire fucking haul to ticket touts and kids for £5 each. We ended up collecting about £170 ($340) once we'd sold them all and, needless to say, didn't have to worry about money for the rest of the festival.

So yeah, i went to a festival and came back better off. Fuck you Live Nation.

Might Might Bosstones for $1.01 at Metro...8 or 9 years ago.

terrible band that was so middle of the road and generic that they reeked of Christian Rock, opened and the audience booed em off stage and they freaked out and got all pissy and said something like "yeah, well we're gonna go backstage and hang out with the Bosstones! fuck you!" which got them a collective audience "fuck you wanna-be rockstars!" screamed back at em. I wanna say it was the Pay Attention era but I could be wrong.

But the best was July 4th, maybe 5 years ago, the Goo Goo Dolls played for free downtown and it poured rain on and off. Ani Difranco opened for them, and it was just all around wet mayhem. Soooooooo much fun.

I was at that! My friend called me that morning and asked if I wanted to drive to Buffalo to see Goo Goo Dolls, I love "Superstar Carwash" & before so I said "Sure" ended up being one of the most memorable shows I've ever atteneded.

Yea, man. I don't like them THAT much.. it's almost a requirement to live in the area that you have some of their songs on your ipod, so every so often I'd listen to some songs, but that concert was too much fun. It's right up among my favorite shows ever.

Nothing! In 2004 New Found Glory played the forum in London (3000 people probably), me and a couple of friends turned up in the hopes of buying some tickets on the door or off people with spares outside. Anyway, it was totally sold out and no one wanted to part ways with any tickets, we were pretty fucked and just about to go home when Chad Gilbert opened their dressing room window and shouted down to us why we were leaving already, we explained we didn't have any tickets and he disappeared from the window only to come out the backstage door, open the gate to the bus park, bring us all in and walk us in the door, over the stage and then down into the crowd. That fucking ruled, nicest thing anyone in a band has ever done for me.

was that the show they made the dvd out of? this disaster or whatever? where the power shut off?

was that the show they made the dvd out of? this disaster or whatever? where the power shut off?

I'm not totally sure, they played two shows there in the space of a year, one of which was filmed. I saw both but can't remember which one this was

I've only occasionally been on guest lists...

I've seen plenty of good $5 or less for shows in basements and living rooms...

The Mighty Mighty Bosstones in Philly because i guy just gave me a ticket

Choking Victim playing a reunion show in Tompkins Square park on 9/11/05

Mike Park played my back yard for $40 bucks for my Birthday Party

H2O's F.T.T.W record release show was $3.33 at the Troc if memory serves me correctly (they played with Grey Area and Kid Dynamite)

I got in for free to an Against Me / Smoke or Fire / Loved ones show at St. Joes in Philly thanks to sitting patiently outside because the show was sold out but the Security guard got one of the band's tour managers to add me as his +1 to the show

I got into a Goldfinger show at the TLA in philly by sitting out front... I was yelling out ticket, and their guitarist Charlie walked up to me and said, "you need to get in" and grabbed me and walked me to the office and said, "i'm going to need a ticket for this guy, i'm in the band" and bam...

i'm sure there are more, but those i can remember...