Metallica - Death Magnetic 5xLP

It's almost as good as ... And Justice for All. And that's a good thing. This is the only listenable Metallica in 20 years. If you like the first four, this is as good as it's going to get. And I HATE everything past Justice. So yeah, worth checking out.

I'm with you 100%. Metallica hasn't made a good album in 20 years and this one is at least tolerable. I picked up the 2xLP this morning and I'm giving it a listen right now. It almost sounds like it should have come out between Justice and the black album. My biggest complaint is the vocals.

Man, you folks are nuts! How can you listen to this crap and seriously get excited? This album is stright up garbage. Sure, may be better than anything they have done in years, still doesn't make it any good. Straight garbage. The lyrics are stright up laughable. Metallica stopped being a band long ago, they are nothing but a corporation that pumps out awful sounds. No soul, no heart, no thank you.

[image]

i've heard this at least a dozen times now, and while some songs are pretty fucking bad, most are tolerable. the lyrics are pretty cheezy at best. and i don't know about you, but the drum levels are a bit high, and overpower the guitars (which sound pretty fucking bland to me...no balls whatsoever). I'm still uncertain whether im gonna buy it, but i can say this is the best in 20 years... but it's not saying alot. They really need to just pack it in....

i dont think the CD sounds bad at all. not unlistenable by any stretch of the imagination. maybe a product of the "loudness wars", but so is every record released by a major label. anyone who listens to punk rock, or underground music in general, should have no issues with the way this record sounds.

i dont think the CD sounds bad at all. not unlistenable by any stretch of the imagination. maybe a product of the "loudness wars", but so is every record released by a major label. anyone who listens to punk rock, or underground music in general, should have no issues with the way this record sounds.

gotta disagree with you there. i listen to a lot of lo-fi stuff but to be honest, the CD is totally unlistenable. mind you, i'm don't consider myself an audiophile at all, but its really obvious that many of the songs are clipping and distorted. it really takes away from really enjoying the music. Metallica really dropped the ball on this. it could have been a really great comeback album but because it's mixed so horribly, the album, as it's currently available, is ruined. i'm just glad i only paid $5 for the album from Hot Topic.

gotta disagree with you there. i listen to a lot of lo-fi stuff but to be honest, the CD is totally unlistenable. mind you, i'm don't consider myself an audiophile at all, but its really obvious that many of the songs are clipping and distorted. it really takes away from really enjoying the music. Metallica really dropped the ball on this. it could have been a really great comeback album but because it's mixed so horribly, the album, as it's currently available, is ruined. i'm just glad i only paid $5 for the album from Hot Topic.

Have to disagree on that one, i think this record sounds pretty good.

I guess you can say Metallica dropped the ball but here is a quote from the guy who mastered it...

"I'm certainly sympathetic to your reaction," said Ted Jensen, head engineer at Sterling Sound, quoted on the Metallica forum. "I get to slam my head against that brick wall every day. In this case, the mixes were already brick-walled before they arrived at my place. Suffice to say I would never be pushed to overdrive things as far as they are here."

And Metallica were on tour during the mixing process. I blame the label.

i blame both Metallica and the label. the label could have easily sent Metallica the final mixes to have them approved or disapproved. if that was indeed the case, Metallica and their management could easily be faulted for approving a shitty mix. if they weren't sent the final mixes then both the label and Metallica can be faulted for putting out a shitty sounding record without QA'ing it.

the mix on this album isn't great. definitely distorts in a lot of places. i'm curious to hear the vinyl version, though. hope it isn't as bad as the CD version.
I guess you can say Metallica dropped the ball but here is a quote from the guy who mastered it...

"I'm certainly sympathetic to your reaction," said Ted Jensen, head engineer at Sterling Sound, quoted on the Metallica forum. "I get to slam my head against that brick wall every day. In this case, the mixes were already brick-walled before they arrived at my place. Suffice to say I would never be pushed to overdrive things as far as they are here."

And Metallica were on tour during the mixing process. I blame the label.

the mix was already messed up before mastering. and from what i've read on audiophile message boards, the vinyl isn't any better than the CD.