VC Book Club

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest baseball

Trying to think what I've read since the last time I posted in this thread.

A People's History of Sports in the USA by Dave Zirin

Standing Up To The Madness by Amy Goodman & David Goodman

Cop In The Hood: My Year Policing Baltimore's Eastern District by Peter Moskos

My Bloody Life and Once A King, Always A King by Reymundo Sanchez (first one on life as a Latin King gang member, second one about life after leaving the gang)

Brothel: Girls of the Mustang Ranch by Alexa Albert

Right now I'm reading The Shadow Factory: The Ultra-Secret NSA from 9/11 to the Eavesdropping on America by James Bamford.

After that I'm going to start to tackle The Great War for Civilisation: The Conquest of the Middle East by Robert Fisk. Which is an 1100 page history of the modern Middle East.

• 2 weeks later...

I've been reading a lot of crime novels. George Pelecanos' work is all about DC, so it's cool to recognize the elements of the city that he incorporates into his stories.

For people into excellent crime/noir books, check out Jim Thompson. He wrote in the 40s and 50s, and his books are just so sick and menacing. I always feel awful after finishing one of his novels, but in a good way. I'd recommend 'The Killer Inside Me' and 'Savage Night.'

Since I have been at my new job, started at the end of june, and get a whole hour for lunch (where as my last job I didnt even get one) I have knocked out a few

Graphic novels

Watchmen

Kingdom Come

Books

Kitchen Confidential - Anthony Bourdain

Sex drugs & coco puffs - Chuck Klosterman

Rules of attraction - Brett Easton Ellis

Post Office - Bukowski

HWM - Bukowski

When will Jesus bring the pork chops? - George Karlin (still working this one when I am on the shitter)

Currently reading Being there - Jerzy Koninski

I bought The Pitchfork 500 this week.

how is it? i was pondering a purchase but wasnt sure if i wanted to deal with 500 entries of the "attitude" they write with sometimes

It's easy to digest and I've already found a handful of new songs that I love.

I went through my iTunes and created a playlist. I only had 107 of the songs mentioned in the book! YIKES!

• 3 weeks later...

Just finished Klosterman's "killing yourself to live". I have to say, it started off very strong, and then it got to a point where I was in a rush to finish it so it could be over. It was annoying to read about his make believe love life when the main sell of the book is dead musicians.

For those that have read other Klosterman, please persuade me that his other books are better.

Right now I'm starting World War Z. Super psyched. I also just got "who watches the watchmen" as a gift from my girlfriend. I have yet to go through it, but it's not really a book you sit down and read, but more like an artbook.

After that I'm hoping someone gives me a barnes and noble giftcard for christmas. Want to pick up lots of stuff, like volume one of The Sandman, "For the Love of Vinyl: The Album Art of Hipgnosis" which is about the biggest design firm of 60's and 70's album art and possibly "the straw men" by Michael Marshall Smith.

Guest genericinsight

I started reading The Monkey Wrench Gang by Edward Abbey in September and still haven't finished it. Don't think I'm going to.

I want more/new books to read since I haven't done any active reading since the summer. Read 8 books in two months and now I've been on a dry spell.

edit: last I posted in this thread before tonight, I was reading On the Road and didn't finish that either. That was one of those books I wanted to read for such a long time and it just did nothing for me. Couldn't hold my interest at all.

Guest genericinsight
Currently in the midst of:

Fahrenheit 451 - Ray Bradbury

One of my all time favorites!

How do you read so many books at once? I've never been able to do this.

How do you read so many books at once? I've never been able to do this.

Ha! My undiagnosed ADD prevents me from reading any other way. I get in to one book real heavy and then another comes right along to steal my attention. It took me the better part of a year to finish my last Ayn Rand outing, The Fountainhead, because of this. But it is now one of my favorite books. So consuming that I did little more than eat, sleep, and read through the latter half of it.

I'm actually reading through Fahrenheit 451 again right now because my band is considering attempting to write a concept record based on the book. It's one of my favs too ;)