VC Book Club

What's everyone reading now?

I just finished Mysteries of Pittsburgh, pretty good book. But I don't think I want to see the movie -- I know it won't compare.

I just started Nick Hornby's 31 Songs (or Songbook) and I'm already almost finished with it. It's not a novel like High Fidelity or About a Boy, rather essays about, well 31 songs.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/31_Songs

Half Priced Books is having a sale 20% off during Labor Day weekend I believe, so I'm going to have to get a few more things. Any suggestions?

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Currently Reading:

Killing Yourself To Live by Chuck Klosterman

People's History by Zinn

This Is Your Brain On Music: The Science of a Human Obsession by Daniel Levitin

My "to-read" stack is massive, and it grows faster than I can shrink it. I really have a hard time walking out of a bookstore without something new to read. Used bookstores are worse...

Currently reading One Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovich by Solzhenitsyn and America Unchained by Dave Gorman. My to-read pile is enormous, I'm another one who has problems leaving a bookshop empty handed. I'm also a big fan of www.bookmooch.com and I've saved a bit of money using it.

I've been getting into Guy Delisle's graphic novels on his travels to fucked-up countries. His first one, "Pyongyang: A Journey to North Korea," is great. he has one on China and another on Myanmar as well.

If you're into political stuff, the new Arianna Huffington book is great, and I just bought (but have not started) Naomi Kelin's new book "the Shock Doctrine."

Also, if you haven't yet, check into some Murakami stuff. I'd recommend "Wind Up Bird Chronicle" or "Kafka on the Shore."

Guest baseball

Seriously, what's better than reading. I've been reading a lot of non-fiction lately.

Finished This Month:

"The Natural Mind: An Investigation of Drugs and the Higher Consciousness" by Andrew Weil, M.D.

"Marriage of the Sun and the Moon: Dispatches from the Frontiers of Consciousness" by Andrew Weil, M.D.

"Snuff" by Chuck Palahniuk

"Choke" by Chuck Palahniuk

"Survivor" by Chuck Palahniuk

Currently Reading:

"Race To Incarcerate" by Marc Mauer

"The Chemical Muse: Drug Use and the Roots of Western Civilization" by D.C.A. Hillman, P.h.d

"The Politics of Deceit: Saving Freedom and Democracy From Extinction" by Glenn W. Smith

Just ordered/Up next:

"The Way of the World: A Story of Truth and Hope in an Age of Extremism" by Ron Suskind

"Governing through Crime: How the War on Crime Transformed American Democracy and Created a Culture of Fear" by Jonathon Simon

"Choke" and "Survivor" were good, "Snuff" was disappointing/predictable compared to the other two.

Andrew Weil's stuff is always fantastic.

I don't know if anyone's interested in any of the other stuff so I'll only comment if someone asks ;).

Guest baseball
I've been getting into Guy Delisle's graphic novels on his travels to fucked-up countries. His first one, "Pyongyang: A Journey to North Korea," is great. he has one on China and another on Myanmar as well.

If you're into political stuff, the new Arianna Huffington book is great, and I just bought (but have not started) Naomi Kelin's new book "the Shock Doctrine."

Also, if you haven't yet, check into some Murakami stuff. I'd recommend "Wind Up Bird Chronicle" or "Kafka on the Shore."

I've thought about checking out "Shock Doctrine", Naomi Klein is good. She's always one of my favorite guests when she's on Democracy Now!

You should let me know how it is.

currently reading rock and roll cage match

pretty awesome book

each chapter is a different "rock rivalry" ex: blur v. oasis, lennon v. mccartney etc and rock "critics" and " journalists decide who wins the rivalry and why

real enjoying read to either completely disagree and scream at the book or completely agree and love it

What's everyone reading now?

I just finished Mysteries of Pittsburgh, pretty good book. But I don't think I want to see the movie -- I know it won't compare.

i saw the movie at the seattle international film festival and found it disappointing.

currently re-reading 'cloud atlas' by david mitchell.