Ways to improve Vinyl Collective

coldwind

I've never had to combine shipping, but I think theres someone you can email to combine shipping.

The only 'problem' I have is the no order history. I dont like going through my emails trying to find which are news updates and which ones list what I bought. Some times its just you're package has shipped, heres the tracking #. I dont think its too much to ask, but whatever.

I wish the amount of posts per page got lifted, from 15 to like 40

I wish the search engine was better and words with 3 characters or less were included, it was so hard trying to search for that 'Run For Cover' thread.

those are both proboards things, which suck, but can't really be fixed.

personally, saving on shipping isn't all that big of a thing as I don't see $3 as all that much as a loss, even when it's mulitple items. They already likely lose on shipping, so I don't mind throwing the $3 on each and every order.

Sorry, I'm still a broke-ass College Kid...every bit helps me get food in my mouth, beer/booze in my belly, Gas in the jeep, and vinyl on my turn-table

They really need to improve on there shipping I know its cheap which is great but alot of my vinyl has come in damaged actually most of if that i order off of here....maybe consider better mailers, shipping the records out of there package (like most places do as well as myself) and just better packing material so that the records are less prone to getting bent corners and splits and rips I would pay more money for shipping if these things were improved upon with out a doubt

They really need to improve on there shipping I know its cheap which is great but alot of my vinyl has come in damaged actually most of if that i order off of here....maybe consider better mailers, shipping the records out of there package (like most places do as well as myself) and just better packing material so that the records are less prone to getting bent corners and splits and rips I would pay more money for shipping if these things were improved upon with out a doubt

I've been consistently ordering from VC since it launched and order a shit ton of records. Never once has a record I ordered arrived damaged. Rarely, you get a dinged corner or a tiny crease in the jacket, but that's the cost of doing business when you order records through the mail. I've received dozens upon dozens of orders from VC and never had anything damaged to the point where it was an issue.

I've been consistently ordering from VC since it launched and order a shit ton of records. Never once has a record I ordered arrived damaged. Rarely, you get a dinged corner or a tiny crease in the jacket, but that's the cost of doing business when you order records through the mail. I've received dozens upon dozens of orders from VC and never had anything damaged to the point where it was an issue.

Same here. Never had an issue w/ any VC orders. Even when my mailman was tossing the packages on my porch as if they were frisbees, they were still damage-free. Outside of less-than-perfect jacket corners, no damages at all.

It's really frustrating to be reading about all the bitching and moaning about VC. It has already been established countless times that the board itself is not the greatest. But like Chris (benchwarmer) pointed out, it's no VC's fault...it's proboards. Out of all the boards I frequent on a daily basis, this is one of the best. Content and set-up wise.

As for the shipping issues, there's not a whole lot that Virgil & Co. can do about that. If you're not happy w/ the $3.00 Medial Mail, then opt to use the Priority Mail when checking out of the store. The packaging itself is a lot better than some other places that do mailorder record sales. With the amount of packing and shipping that is done at VC, you can't really expect for all records (unsealed ones at least) to be placed out of their jackets/sleeves when packaged. If they did that, our records would take a lot longer to get to us.

I can't really explain why packages would arrive damaged and be wholly VC's fault. They do what their supposed to be doing when it comes to mailing them out. As soon as it gets into the hands of the USPS, then it's another ball game there. Postal workers are typically not the most happy at their jobs, so they care very little about the packages they're tossing and throwing and subsequently delivering to your doorstep. Sure, Media Mail is typically less-cared for when handled by the USPS as it's all bulked together. But at the same time, the percentage of people voicing their dis-satisfaction at the condition of the records received, is very minimal in the grand scope of this.

Lastly, when it comes to the actual VC store, I agree that it could use a bit of overhauling/re-design. I wouldn't even know what to suggest on what to start out with. An order history would be nice but I tend to save all my order emails as some others have stated they do as well. A "Wish List" is a nice idea but seems kinda moot when that item is no longer available or out of print and VC can't carry it anymore.

Surely I was rambling on some parts but my point is this:

I've seen VC grow by leaps and bounds over the year plus that I've been a member/customer. Just like any other business/service provider, there is room for improvement. As it continues to grow, surely these improvements will be done as that growth will necessitate it. Maybe b/c I am old and jaded, I'm accustomed to the way things are and happy with them and don't really see what the amount of complaining will accomplish as surely Virgil & Co. are well aware of can/needs/could be done to improve the (already satisfactory) quality of service we are being provided.

/rant

Reading Juan's post made me think this. VC has grown ridiculous amounts in just the year I've been hanging around and that is probably most of the reason behind the store's site itself having a few issues. No small vender has an elaborate website, and I think VC just grew so quick that the site couldn't keep up. Not that I have any web experience, but I think it would need to start almost from scratch to meet the wishes of most people.

Me, I'm not really picky. It's not my favorite shopping interface, but apart from the Coop debacle, I've never had anything remotely close to a real problem.

Yeah, unless you're planning to flip the record or are so anal that everything needs to be 100% perfect, little dings and splits shouldn't matter all that much.

This.

The amount of times I see people complaining about little rips/bends on the covers, does it affect the fucking record? NO.

Fair enough if you wanna sell it on, but my collection is already quite new and small so I'll keep what I have for the next few years, I don't intend to give anything away just yet.