Vinyl Storage Cooler Than the Expedit!

Guest falloutcollapse

Guest falloutcollapse

Taken from Apartment Therapy:

[image]

This just came across our desk minutes ago: a beautiful, high end solution for those special few of you who not only still have vinyl records, you covet and prefer them. Jen Levin Atocha is one of these people, and because she couldn't find a really nice storage solution (except for milk crates), she started designing and building her own. These record cabinets allow you to super safely store and showcase your LP's by cover and not just by the spine...

[image]

Her Record Cabinets are custom built, made of oak, walnut, bamboo or maple and can come in a number of configurations that will accommodate LP's, singles, CD's, DVD's or components. The design is inspired by mid-century design and draws from the rather eclectic works of "George Nelson, Paul McCobb, Saul Bass and David Bowie."

Admittedly, this is a luxurious storage solution for your oldies, but, as the site says, "Milk crates are for milk."

http://atochadesign.com/index.html

good drawer system is expensive to build, making good angular cuts is tricky and requires a bit of equipment too and whether you want good wood or you dont mind if its made out of ply-wood. but making this yourself could be around with premium but affordable materials would cost around 300-400$

good drawer system is expensive to build, making good angular cuts is tricky and requires a bit of equipment too and whether you want good wood or you dont mind if its made out of ply-wood. but making this yourself could be around with premium but affordable materials would cost around 300-400$

300-400 if you have the tools. For someone without the tools, getting the tools would be a massive expense.

I have all the tools (table saw, sanders, drills, what the fuck ever). My dad did a ton shit like that growing up so we have the works. I'll build one of these for anyone on the board for $2,000+shipping.

That's like 80% off.

I would actually think about paying that price.

Yeah, on a side note, mine wouldn't be made of some solid oak shit. Probably just some normal wood.

My buddy built this setup for his comics that's quite similar. It's 5 drawers high and holds 3 rows across. It cost him about $200 with supplies I think. Shit is off the hook. I'd imagine something similar could be used for records.

If I can somehow figure out a way to get some cool power tools as wedding gifts or find funds for cool power tools wifey and I are building something like this.

thing is you can get a decent saw table for pretty cheap at homedepot, they also sell a 12" vertical drill for 44.99$ (probably cheaper in the US and it works great, i bought one to make custom pedals) but the expensive part is the thing that you use to make trims, in this case its whats used to make the the railing for the drawers. With a little imagination you can do that job with the drill and the saw table.

i doubt most people are really thinking of building it themselves, its still expensive but you can build a decent workspace for 120$ if you already have the basics like a hammer & some screwdrivers