NHL Discussion

I cant believe you guys honestly dont believe Fehr told them to hold out. That writer isnt just going to make that up. He was pretty on about discussions all day. Steve Zipay even retweeted it because he heard it as well. Donald Fehr is fucking us over just as much as Bettman at this point. The players were ready to accept a deal from the league weeks ago. Players were tweeting (dont exactly remember which ones) stuff saying in interviews how they were getting fed up with Fehr and that they were ready to sign a deal.

the NHL gave a proposal that was a take it or leave it CBA yesterday, the players responded back with suggestions on meeting in the middle on a couple terms, and the owners said no, its off the table now, everything. they arent holding out, holding out is what the owners are doing. holding out is a "we want our terms, we will wait until you accept them", and the NHLPA is NOT doing that. if anything, THEY'RE the ones caving on terms and conditions of the agreement. what "contract" are you talking about from weeks ago that players were ready to sign? everything i've read has been that no one was close to wanting to sign anything until earlier this week, so that would be news to pretty much everyone.

the NHL gave a proposal that was a take it or leave it CBA yesterday, the players responded back with suggestions on meeting in the middle on a couple terms, and the owners said no, its off the table now, everything. they arent holding out, holding out is what the owners are doing. holding out is a "we want our terms, we will wait until you accept them", and the NHLPA is NOT doing that. if anything, THEY'RE the ones caving on terms and conditions of the agreement. what "contract" are you talking about from weeks ago that players were ready to sign? everything i've read has been that no one was close to wanting to sign anything until earlier this week, so that would be news to pretty much everyone.

How are they caving to terms? I cant believe I am defending the owners right now but if anything THEY are caving to terms. They offered more money with the make whole and they were going to give into the pension plan that the union now says is the biggest thing (after they claim make whole and contracts were the biggest things). You have to give credit to where credits due. The owners have been moving along and Fehr and the union are basically holding out waiting for them to cave and give more. What did this do? The owners took make whole and everything else they caved in off the table! Im sorry but that deal the league offered yesterday shouldve been signed by the league. Why wouldnt they want a 10 year CBA? It had an after 8 year opt out clause anyway! From my understanding in the latest offer they were keeping existing contacts but future contracts couldnt be 8 years in length. Big deal, just re sign when your contracts up. It benefits the players too because if they are at the end of their career and they want out of wherever they are playing to contend for a cup, they dont have to worry about a trade being made and wasting time of their career (see Rick Nash this past season. Not saying hes old, just the whole trade and wasting time thing). Also if you sign a deal where youre getting 7.5 for 10 years, and 4-5 years into that contract you arent earning 7.5 mil (see Souray, Drury, Gomez) why should they keep paying that? I see where the owners are coming from on this.

there was no CBA to accept yesterday. the terms they wanted were ONLY so they could continue to negotiate further. It was not a done deal by any means.

the three items were a 10 year CBA (8 year CBA with 2 year options), a 5 year cap on contract length and no chances to compliance issues (buyouts, limits on escrow). I agree on the CBA length, but I strongly disagree on 5 year contract lengths. http://www.mc79hockey.com/?p=5098 has a great article about this, and how longer-term contracts actually HELP the rest of the PA in terms of increasing salaries for middle/lower tier players. I cant really comment on the compliance issues as i havent read up on those terms in the current CBA as much as other items. NHLPA replied back to those three items with an 8 year CBA (6 yr, 2 opt), 8 year max on contracts and they had agreed on pensions and make-whole.

there was no CBA to accept yesterday. the terms they wanted were ONLY so they could continue to negotiate further. It was not a done deal by any means.

the three items were a 10 year CBA (8 year CBA with 2 year options), a 5 year cap on contract length and no chances to compliance issues (buyouts, limits on escrow). I agree on the CBA length, but I strongly disagree on 5 year contract lengths. http://www.mc79hockey.com/?p=5098 has a great article about this, and how longer-term contracts actually HELP the rest of the PA in terms of increasing salaries for middle/lower tier players. I cant really comment on the compliance issues as i havent read up on those terms in the current CBA as much as other items. NHLPA replied back to those three items with an 8 year CBA (6 yr, 2 opt), 8 year max on contracts and they had agreed on pensions and make-whole.

I want to hear why you feel longer contracts helps the pa and the league? Im not being a dick when I say all of this too. Im legitimately curious.

I cant believe you guys honestly dont believe Fehr told them to hold out. That writer isnt just going to make that up.

allan Walsh@walsha

capitulation. At no time did Don Fehr ever advise the players to hold out for more. I heard that story and its wrong." (3)

Allan Walsh@walsha

speaking direct to owners. Without Don in the room, we were cautious and methodical. We were trying to spark negotiation not (2)

Miller said, ""Regarding the anonymous player quote provided to Adrian Dater; I was there. I was in the room at all times. I was (1)

Spoke with Octagon-Hockey client Ryan Miller earlier today. He was one of the 18 players in New York negotiating direct with owners. (1)

http://blogs.buffalonews.com/sabres/2012/12/sabres-miller-explains-his-side-of-verbal-encounter-with-bruins-jacobs-wanted-more-than-anything-to-.html

In a text to The Buffalo News today, Miller explained his version of the events:

"The owners wanted to leave the room and pull everything we spent a full day on. I asked them to stay and continue pushing through. I may have been passionate but there was no disrespect or calling out one owner by name. I have a lot of respect for any owner because they are a big part of hockey.

"I wanted more than anything to make a deal but we are not professional negotiators. We as players didn't have the experience or authority to make a final deal. We were trying to responsibly move this process forward as best we could. If anyone thinks that we did wrong by the game or by the fans then they are misinformed. We have a responsibility to about 750 players and we made moves approved by them and thinking about them."

If you're in Anaheim area and want to watch Kings vs. Ducks (Could be the last time seeing Selanne play and Parros with his fellow Ducks)

484349_174417436038496_1906032568_n.jpg

Charity Hockey Game Roster Finalized !!!

Get your tickets now they are going fast - call (714)493-1417

Quebec Home team

5 Bryan Allen 6'5 226lbs

8 Teemu Selanne 6'0 196 lbs.

15 Ryan Getzlaf 6'4 221 lbs.

16 Brad Staubitz 6'1 215 lbs.

16 George Parros 6'5 228 lbs.

23 Francois Beauchemin 6'0 207 lbs.

32 Toni Lydman 6'1 202 lbs.

44 Sheldon Souray 6'4 237 lbs.

1 Jonas Hiller 6'2 194 lbs. Goalie

Quebec Away Team

2 Matt Greene 6'3 232 lbs.

6 Kent Huskins 6'4 210 lbs.

7 Rob Scuderi 6'1 219 lbs.

14 Justin Williams 6'1 193 lbs.

19 Scottie Upshall 6'0 200 lbs.

22 Trevor Lewis 6'1 194 lbs.

25 Dustin Penner 6'4 242 lbs.

77 Jeff Carter 6'4 199 lbs.

30 Ryan Miller 6'2 175 lbs. Goalie

that would be really fun to go to

They had a Twin Peaks/Jr. Kings Charity game about a month ago, it was fun too! The only time I can sit with mostly women (I swear it was mostly women at the game, maybe because Twin Peaks is a breast cancer charity) and Kings fans without getting chirped to death. Selanne was supposed to show up but he couldn't last minute (probably got stuck in traffic or something). I bought a pair of tix, can't wait to go!!!!!