is anyone else pissed about asian man/hot topic

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

i shouldn't have to contact labels direct to get product when distributors carry the same record labels.

Yeah, boo hoo. Sorry it's not all laid out on a platter for you. We have been selling them online for what, two months now? Surely you knew they existed. You also are probably aware that when it comes to release schedules, distributors are slow. Hmm, I wonder what you could have done about that...

To wit, Hot Topic didn't feel like contacting us directly was beneath them, and as a result we worked it out so that they could get them from Lumberjack before the official street date.

I don't understand how anyone can be upset at Hot Topic exclusive and not be upset at a new record selling out before it's even pressed yet, and that never even gets to reach actual stores whether they are local indie stores or Hot Topic

i am upset about that too. but i am at work and a customer just said hot topic had maybe i'll catch fire on vinyl and none of my distros have had it yet. hence my venting.

Yeah, boo hoo. Sorry it's not all laid out on a platter for you. We have been selling them online for what, two months now? Surely you knew they existed. You also are probably aware that when it comes to release schedules, distributors are slow. Hmm, I wonder what you could have done about that...

To wit, Hot Topic didn't feel like contacting us directly was beneath them, and as a result we worked it out so that they could get them from Lumberjack before the official street date.

Distributor release schedules are slow... also being a mom and pop indie store, means having budgets and not as much disposable income at my hands as a chain store. Is Asian Man really going to sell me 5-10 copies of a record at wholesale and if so, is it going to be worth paying UPS shipping on that small of order? Probably not, unfortunately.

i have to admit i am surprised a label would wholesale 5 copies of a record. i still think i have a valid complaint though... i stock asian man vinyl thru sound of california, choke, and 2 different one-stops, none of which have "micf" in stock yet. and those lawrence arms lp's... man, i've sold probably a dozen of each fat title on vinyl this year... wish some distros would get the asian man releases so i could sell them to my customers.

the entire point of my thread was to vent because i WANT TO SELL THESE RECORDS TO CUSTOMERS WHO WANT THEM. which is helping support the band, label, vinyl, independent record stores, and even the middleman distributor and one-stops.

I don't understand how anyone can be upset at Hot Topic exclusive and not be upset at a new record selling out before it's even pressed yet, and that never even gets to reach actual stores whether they are local indie stores or Hot Topic

i am upset about that too. but i am at work and a customer just said hot topic had maybe i'll catch fire on vinyl and none of my distros have had it yet. hence my venting.

flood just posted above that mordam has it, that is a distro....that proves distros have it...if your distros dont, either find one that does, or pick a phone up and call asian man...they are quite possibly the easiet and nicest people to get ahold of....the amount of time spent on a message board ranting about all this, you could have called asian man 10 times over and had some records on the way to you!

for the record, I work at Choke at we do not have MICF in yet.

I sympathize with both sides of the argument here.

I've done VC exclusive colors for some of my releases, which is theoretically just as bad as giving HT an exclusive...but in the end, VC actually pays me...where as I'm owed a LOT of money by other people

PS Travis, I run a label and would love to get my stuff into Hot Topic, and considering the fact that HT has sold like a gabillion BTMI!/OP!!! splits, it'd be nice if I could get some the Black Mambas LPs in there...email me!

i have to admit i am surprised a label would wholesale 5 copies of a record. i still think i have a valid complaint though... i stock asian man vinyl thru sound of california, choke, and 2 different one-stops, none of which have "micf" in stock yet. and those lawrence arms lp's... man, i've sold probably a dozen of each fat title on vinyl this year... wish some distros would get the asian man releases so i could sell them to my customers.

the entire point of my thread was to vent because i WANT TO SELL THESE RECORDS TO CUSTOMERS WHO WANT THEM. which is helping support the band, label, vinyl, independent record stores, and even the middleman distributor and one-stops.

also, I'd sell 5 copies of any of my releases to a mom and pop store, media mail baby! media mail!

message boards exist for ranting and thus i ranted.

that was really all there was to it. it sucks that hot topic has records before other stores. it sucks records sell out before they are even pressed. it sucks that indie record stores are closing. and it sucks that people flip limited records for big bucks and fans can't even get them without paying an arm and a leg.

Original post is ridiculous. Hot Topic is a gateway for new vinyl fans, and they're HELPING the industry, not hurting it. Obviously they don't expect to be an ALTERNATIVE to record stores. They sell albums that cater to the popular scene they're promoting, and new album collections are born there. I bought my first album at Hot Topic last December; I didn't even know active bands still pressed albums until I saw them there. Since then I have bought two albums, Minus The Bear's new EP and Motion City Soundtrack's newest. The rest of my growing collection came from independent stores and websites like VC who would never have had my business unless Hot Topic peaked my interest in vinyl.

That was some good reading. I don't really give a shit where records are sold, what bands are carried, etc. However, I do agree that if a label posts on their website, "...if you do choose to buy from a store, please support the punk rock mom and pop instead of the super mega chain store," then backlash for doing a Hot Topic exclusive has to be expected. I think it's awesome that HT is able to get kids into records. In fact, I'm pretty sure HT has done other exclusive releases such as shirt designs for a number of bands which include Most Precious Blood and Shai Hulud. Again, I don't really give a shit either way (I still won't go into one) but it's hard to for me to defend a label that will post a clear and concise statement reflecting their views on chain stores and then go and do an exclusive release. My two cents.

Hey Travis!, didnt know you posted here :)

Tell Jay he needs to come home for Thanksgiving so he can come see the Pilfers with me.

Oh man, small world, Jay is a good friend of mine. Love that guy.

I think I'll be putting out a 7" for his band in the next few months, although the details haven't been totally knocked out yet.