is anyone else pissed about asian man/hot topic

mike park is always talking about how you should support your local punk rock record store instead of chain stores when buying asian man releases, but hot topic has exclusive colors for the alkaline trio vinyl.

more so than that the hot topic here is selling goddamnit for what my indie store had to pay wholesale, and no distributors have even gotten copies of maybe i'll catch fire yet...

maybe none of you guys care, but our store carried the first pressings of these on vinyl when hot topic neither cared about vinyl nor knew who alkaline trio was... just kind of pisses me off.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Mike Park cares about his local scene but he also cares about making enough money to stay afloat. I imagine Hot Topic approached him about doing the specific color and Mike was happy to let them have one. Additionally, I would imagine (as it's an exclusive) they went straight from the plant to Hot Topic, needing no distributor, explaining the faster turn around and the lower cost.

Regardless of any of that, I know Mike isn't making much off of any of the represses (or vinyl in general). Sure it's additional income but not a shit ton and if it manages to keep Asian Man putting out Andrew Jackson Jihad, Lemuria, Bomb the Music Industry and O' Pioneers, I really don't care who gets what ridiculous splatter variation, when or at what cost.

Guest kylewilliam
Mike Park cares about his local scene but he also cares about making enough money to stay afloat. I imagine Hot Topic approached him about doing the specific color and Mike was happy to let them have one. Additionally, I would imagine (as it's an exclusive) they went straight from the plant to Hot Topic, needing no distributor, explaining the faster turn around and the lower cost.

Regardless of any of that, I know Mike isn't making much off of any of the represses (or vinyl in general). Sure it's additional income but not a shit ton and if it manages to keep Asian Man putting out Andrew Jackson Jihad, Lemuria, Bomb the Music Industry and O' Pioneers, I really don't care who gets what ridiculous splatter variation, when or at what cost.

i guess it doesn't fully surprise me that kids on this board don't care. no offense, but what happens when they vinyl trend is over? when hot topic and best buy realize vinyl isn't worth their time, but the indie stores have been killed off completely because of the big chains? like everything in the music industry, it's only a matter of time before the current trend rise in vinyl dies back down.

personally, i like being able to go to a local record store and buy records, and special order items, and browsing used bins. mailorder is fine, but there's nothing like actually being able to flip through records and touch them before buying them, and discovering new bands based on cover art, etc. what happens when there aren't those opportunities because the chain stores have killed off the mom and pop's?

i guess it doesn't fully surprise me that kids on this board don't care. no offense, but what happens when they vinyl trend is over? when hot topic and best buy realize vinyl isn't worth their time, but the indie stores have been killed off completely because of the big chains? like everything in the music industry, it's only a matter of time before the current trend rise in vinyl dies back down.

personally, i like being able to go to a local record store and buy records, and special order items, and browsing used bins. mailorder is fine, but there's nothing like actually being able to flip through records and touch them before buying them, and discovering new bands based on cover art, etc. what happens when there aren't those opportunities because the chain stores have killed off the mom and pop's?

from what i can see "read" on this board, no one here is headed to hot topic or best buy to buy records.

they are getting them from VC/distros/no idea/labels/bands/etc.

the purchases at hot topic that is most common is

"i totally just found a brand new record for 4.99 in the discount bin at hot topic!! TIME TO FLIP BITCH!!!!"

don't be worried about hot topic taking thunder from local record stores...i think people would be visiting each place for completely different reasons

if these record stores survived napster, kazaa, limewire, torrenting and everything else, I think they'll make it through the current vinyl trend. I see your point, but I also see the point dante3000 brings up. It's a tough world we live in, spend your money where you think it will make a difference is all you can really do..

Edit:

I didn't mean for this to sound as if shops are doing well, I guess I just mean to say, if you think hot topic is doing something wrong, don't spend your money there. I honestly think having those records in there is important. Kind of like being a gateway to vinyl in general. Some of my first records were bought from hot topic, things like nofx - ribbed and punk in drublic, the nofx seven inches from the late 90's, and some other random skate punk stuff from that era. The more people getting into vinyl is nice and I'm sure hot topic helps gets at least a small percentage onto it :)

if these record stores survived napster, kazaa, limewire, torrenting and everything else, I think they'll make it through the current vinyl trend. I see your point, but I also see the point dante3000 brings up. It's a tough world we live in, spend your money where you think it will make a difference is all you can really do..

These stores AREN'T surviving these recent trends. Since moving to the LA/OC area 3 years ago, I've seen at least 8 locals go under.

i see both point of views. make no mistake about it, when vinyl is no longer cool hot topic and best buy will be quick to fill up the shelf space with something else. selling music isn't vital to those stores. they're just add-ons or a means to get you in the door. at the same time, asian man is a business (small or not) and they're in the business of selling records so its not surpising to me that when hot topic wants to buy up a run of a specific color, that they'd do it. what can you do? mom n pop record stores are on their way out anyways it seems. just another small piece as to the reason why.

I don't mean to seem like a dick, but this seems less like an honest complaint and more like a pity party. Hot Topic, despite my feelings about them as a store, have actually been doing a decent job getting behind vinyl and treating it how the "mom and pop stores" do as opposed to just stocking it because its the "in" thing.

That being said, Vinyl Collective moves way more vinyl than Hot Topic (and has Asian Man exclusives), but you don't seem to have a complaint about that, at least you haven't made it public here. What makes them not fall under your argument?

Fuck independent record stores and fuck big box retailers. Everyone is trying to make a buck off opf you, regardless of position on the retail ladder. I'm going to buy my records where price and service come together in wonderful bliss and that's why when I buy records not from a label, its here. I don't think anyone is going to legitmately feel sorry for any independent or big box store that refuses to adjust to customer demands. That's the store's problem, no one else's.

*end rant*

being an indie label i'd like to chime in.

most indie stores and indie distributors are a royal pain in the ass to get paid from... and i've lost a shitload of money and records over the years when stores and distributors went under and didn't bother to pay me after they had sold my records... now hot topic? they pay me net 30.. so i actually get paid for my hard work and can put out more records.

i dont blame mike at all for doing it.. he and his bands deserve to get paid for their work, and not fucked over by another store with crappy business practices crying under the DIY moniker. Sure theres alot of great indie stores out there that take care of their business and they have repeat customers because they go above and beyond to do cool things at their stores... but honestly its all business. If mike's stuff didnt sell you wouldn't care, nor would you buy it from him to support asian man. So why should he forsake fast turnaround and a check so he can feed his family ?

Also, to play devil's advocate, Hot Topic has been a store for almost 20 years and has always had vinyl in the stores that carry music. Granted that with the recent vinyl trend, they have expanded the selection, but what else is a store trying to make money going to do? when the trend is over, they'll still carry it and support the indie labels, they'll just have 3 copies instead of 8 of a release.

having a Hot Topic exclusive color isn't gonna bring down the Mom and Pop shops...if you could purchase every AsianMan release at your local Hot Topic...I could see a point in bitching about this....one varient for this big chain store to make a bit of cash to put out some excellent releases doesn't bother me one bit

i am just saying mike park specifically says if you are going to buy asian man stuff from stores, support your local mom and pop store...but then gives hot topic exclusives.

also, chain stores ARE killing the mom and pop stores. this is a fact of the matter. nothing new.

Then the mom and pop stores need to do something different. You can't just sit in your perch and bellow "We're indie buy from us only!" and use that as your business model. Either way NO record stores are doing all that well AND I've never seen a Glass and Ashes record in Best Buy or Hot Topic.

First off, all I buy (when I physically buy) are indie stores.

Second, guess how many copies of this album he's pressing? 3,000? 4,000? Some ungodly high number. Out of that 500 or 1,000 are going to Hot topic. And guess who buys those? The kids who never have (and never would) buy these records from indie stores or mom and pops. Either because they're lazy, they don't know where they are or they just don't exist where they live. These are the records that are being sold in large part to kids who won't be any benefit to anyone in the long run.

I full back your opinions. I feel most of the people on this board are new to vinyl collecting (ie, the past year or so) and are more concerned with tracking down the 8 color variations of a RE-RELEASED record than stopping and thinking about supporting local vinyl stores and business ethics.

Also, not many on this board can take ANY negative criticism, even in it's purest, most constructive form and that's sad.

There is a buyer at Hot Topic who is a long-time friend of Mike's and asked him if we would do exclusive colors for them. They paid for them upfront, they never return anything, and unlike every other chain left in existence (including Best Buy, Amoeba, FYE) they do not ask for a dime in "product placement" in exchange for carrying our stuff on their shelves. They're also carrying Lemuria and Andrew Jackson Jihad LPs, because the buyer is a fan.

I have nothing bad to say about Hot Topic or its business practices. I admit I don't entirely relate to the kid that goes in to buy a Goddamnit LP, the newest issue of Dudes In Their Underwear magazine, and oh I dunno, a dog collar or something. Certainly I hope the music we release will remain relevant longer than current teenage fashion sensibilities. But Hot Topic has always been nice to us, always paid us on time, and has helped us out with several non-Alk Trio releases. I appreciate the fact that independent retail is being killed by a lot of things. I disagree that Hot Topic is doing more damage than, say, the internet.

initrecords, have you ever tried contact us about getting records, or do you just post rants on message boards? We are easy to get in touch with: you can email me at [email protected], Mike at [email protected], or call us at 408-395-0662.

Support is a two way street, you know? We try to help small stores because as a small business, we benefit from them supporting us, ordering our releases, and helping to get the word out.

There is a buyer at Hot Topic who is a long-time friend of Mike's and asked him if we would do exclusive colors for them. They paid for them upfront, they never return anything, and unlike every other chain left in existence (including Best Buy, Amoeba, FYE) they do not ask for a dime in "product placement" in exchange for carrying our stuff on their shelves. They're also carrying Lemuria and Andrew Jackson Jihad LPs, because the buyer is a fan.

I have nothing bad to say about Hot Topic or its business practices. I admit I don't entirely relate to the kid that goes in to buy a Goddamnit LP, the newest issue of Dudes In Their Underwear magazine, and oh I dunno, a dog collar or something. Certainly I hope the music we release will remain relevant longer than current teenage fashion sensibilities. But Hot Topic has always been nice to us, always paid us on time, and has helped us out with several non-Alk Trio releases. I appreciate that independent retail is being killed by a lot of things. I disagree that Hot Topic is doing more damage than, say, the internet.

initrecords, have you ever tried contact us about getting records, or do you just post rants on message boards? We are easy to get in touch with: you can email me at [email protected], Mike at [email protected], or call us at 408-395-0662.

Support is a two way street, you know? We try to help small stores because as a small business, we benefit from them supporting us, ordering our releases, and helping to get the word out.

Quit your messageboarding...When we bowling sissy?

This Sunday, for real. Also you better come pick up your Broadways records or I am going to sell that shit on Ebay faster than you can sell a Goddamnit test press.

OH SNAP! Burn. Mike called today and said he was gonna mail em. Sorry, I got way lazy. And you've already had them longer than I had that test...so there!

I'll start shining my shoes.

Yeah, Hot Topic rules from a "behind the scenes" standpoint. Obviously AP doesn't put out records, but they do stock our magazine and they also stocked the calendar we made a few years ago, and they are by far the easiest account for us to deal with. Hell, in most smaller cities where a kid's only options might be Wal-Mart, Best Buy, FYE and Hot Topic, I'd tell them to shop at HT any day of the week over the other three. Hot Topic is essentially an indie store in that scenario -- low prices, good selection and (usually) good stuff on clearance (to me, this would fill the void of a "used" section).

This Sunday, for real. Also you better come pick up your Broadways records or I am going to sell that shit on Ebay faster than you can sell a Goddamnit test press.

OH SNAP! Burn. Mike called today and said he was gonna mail em. Sorry, I got way lazy. And you've already had them longer than I had that test...so there!

I'll start shining my shoes.

i wanna go bowling!!!

These stores AREN'T surviving these recent trends. Since moving to the LA/OC area 3 years ago, I've seen at least 8 locals go under.

Oh, up here in Washington they seem to be doing well enough. I've seen one go under, but given their location, ihave no idea how they lasted as long as they did. I can't imagine some of the record shops in Seattle goingunder, would be a HUGE bummer. Sorry to hear you've lost that many, not cool at all...