my dog died yesterday

she tore her ACL about 2 months ago, and was doing okay and recovering after the surgery pretty well. her appetite the first few days upon return home from the surgery wasn't very good, but she was doing better, eating the glucosamine laden food after not being very interested for a while. her breathing got bad, and they checked her lungs and heart out at follow up for the surgery, her heart beat was accelerated and her lungs had fluid in them. she was put on heart pills and diuretics to help. her appetite apparently continued to suffer, and she went from nearly 40 lbs about 6 months ago, to 32/34 in july/august, to 22 lbs yesterday when my mom brought her to the vet for another follow up. they let her out to pee, and when she came back inside, she collapsed.

they don't know what it was, and we'll probably never know. we assume that her heart just couldn't take it anymore (her heart rate was 155bpm the last time my mom checked, and the average is apparently 120ish.) i don't know. i hate it.

[image]

the last she ate was cat food (???), and she and my mom spent their last moments together investigating some kittens in the office, so my mom adopted the two kittens, so that's kind of good. the dog i grew up with died the day before my birthday, and this one died the day after my mom's birthday.

i hate this feeling. sorry i talked so much, i'm sad.

My first dog died when he was only a year old because he hurt his knee and had to have surgery. The vet fucked up and he ended up suffocating on the operating table. This happened a week before my birthday. It was pretty shitty.

But my grandparents ended up getting me my current dog. He's ridiculously old now. I always worry I'm going to get that phone call from my mom telling me he died.

Sorry Sal... my deepest condolences. It's hard to lose a pet.. as most of their lives are so interwoven within our own. And they take a piece of our lives with them when they pass. Gilda Radner once said, that dogs would love you unconditionally and that they are role models for you to live by. It's sad when one passes, and we should all live our lives as good a person as our dogs think we are.

I'm sorry to hear that man. I have a few dogs close to my heart, and it tears me up to think the worst.

shitty man... my first dog died when I was on HS spring break in Chicago. I got home and my mom was like, notice anything missing...bad day. I feel for ya

man, that's kinda a shitty way for your mom to break the news.

bummer. been thinking about death all day. last time i saw my best friend alive was 4 years ago today. killed himself at 7am 10/9. been thinking about going to his grave site tomorrow and it's eating me up bigtime. in august the following year, we put our family dog of 15 years to sleep. she just fought too long and couldn't handle living anymore. so hard to do, i got a phonecall at work to hear the bad news. the worst. my gramps died 2 months after that, on 10/13. the day we buried my friend the year before. a huge cycle of bad threes. i definitely feel for you, my sympathies.

sal,

i'm so sorry. i have 2 dogs back home (i'm away at school now) and one of them has been sick the past year. she's only 3, but she had an eye problem, and recently we found out the rashes she's been getting are due to allergies. i don't know what i would do if either of my parents called me to tell me something happened to one of them. hang in there, man. if you need anything, it seems like everybody is here for you.

-dan