How much would you sell your records for?

jhulud

If this needs to be moved to the sales board...so be it.

If you got yourself in a situation which necessitated selling some of your records, how much would you sell them for? Specifically those records that you bought when they first came out so therefore were normal price(s). Would you sell them for what you paid or at an inflated price?

I guess I'm curious of what people feel about this b/c of recent sales and purchases going on.

I mean for example...you go and buy Gaslight Anthem's SOS 1st press (regardless of color) for like $12 when it first came out...and now here we are today and you're looking to sell. Would you want to at least get back what you paid or an inflated price?

for me....it depends whether or not it has Sentimental value or not...I love some of my records and would definitely wouldn't part with them unless I got some good cheddah...others that I don't listen to often, I'd probably sell 'em for whatever I could get.

For Example....my Murder City Devils vinyl...you'll be hard pressed to pry it from my cold and lifeless fingers...

others, if somebody really wanted it...I'd sell it off (i've been selling off my NFG vinyl as of late because I havn't listened to them in forever and I don't even really care for them anymore)...but some of them are kind of rare, and I'm financially in a bind...so I've been selling them for slightly inflated prices...but, I'd rather somebody who's actually going to appreciate them have them

Well it depends, really. Anyone who says they'd never sell a record is insane. If someone offered you a shitload of money for a record that you could, in all likelihood, buy again some other time (even at high eBay prices), why would you say no? I don't really get the sentimental attachment thing. I buy records of albums I like. If I didn't have the actual records anymore...well, my life wouldn't change too much. I'd still have the music just not that one physical version of it. No major loss, I suppose.

Right now I am actually trimming down my collection to get rid of stuff I don't really listen to. Obviously it's ideal to get more then you paid, but the majority of stuff I'm happy to get back half of what I paid. Right now I'm just happy they are going to someone who will enjoy them and listen to them. As for my entire collection, a lot of my stuff I could probably get more for and if I ever stop buying records I'd probably try to go that route so that I don't feel like the thousands of dollars I've spent have gone to waste.

to whomever said they didn't understand the sentimental attachment...I dunno, my first record I purchased on my own was on a whim just to get the extra track that wasn't on the CD version of the same album...picked it up at the show for like 10-12 bucks, didn't have a Record player, but new my Grandmother had one in her stereo setup downstairs in her house...so I went to my Grandmothers and asked if I could just get the Turntable, she said I could have the whole stereo system. So i brought that back to my house and hooked it up...and I'd never really paid attention to the way that vinyl sounded...had only heard like AC/DC and Boston records spin on my dad's system when i was kid...so I drop the stylus to the clear blue version of Brand New's "Your Favorite Weapon" and it just immediately sounded like a different record to me all together...it just sounded better to me, which I completely hadn't expected; opened my ears to something new they'd yet to really experience...and from that point on I've been glued to vinyl versions of records I love...I don't think I could part with that record even if I was selling off my collection based on that experience alone. Hence the sentimental value. My Murder City Devils vinyl (as noted before) is just such a love of that band and wanting pretty much any version of any copy of their stuff...including merchandise and music alike.

I always sell records, even stuff that isn't rare. If I bought a record 6 months ago or so, and it is still easily available, I will sell it for a little less than I paid including the shipping. If I have a record that is worth more and it is steadily going for that amount, I will sell it for around that price. There's no reason to short change yourself just because you didn't pay that much for it. In a way, it's an investment, you put money into it, and later you sell it for what is is worth. I buy a lot of records, but I only use money that I get from SELLING records to BUY records. It's this system my wife and I created so that I'm not here going "hey need money to pay rent, buy some records." Or something else like that. Plus, when I buy a record on ebay for $100, I don't feel like I paid 100 for it, I feel like, oh I just traded 6 or so not rare records for that really rare one.

i don't have idea how much i should/could receive from my records.

i already told my girlfriend and my brother for my record price each by each and i don't care what they will do when i passed away.

at least, if they don't wanna keep 'em, i hope those can make high money for my girlfriend and my brother....

:)

Specifically those records that you bought when they first came out so therefore were normal price(s). Would you sell them for what you paid or at an inflated price?

It really depends on the record, there are ebs and flows to any record's popularity. I'd be willing to bet that when the new Falcon record on red finally ships we'll see several of these hit ebay, the first couple will go for the highest amount and the middle will dip, and the last couple may spike or keep dwindling. You can't say that your copy is always worth what the highest amount paid for was(though some people do), because you probably won't sell it for that much. Maybe that's not the best example, but there are other records that go through periods in time where they are the 'hot' record to have, and then 6 months later people can't give them away. I guess you just have to gauge where your record(s) are in this cycle.