Heavens - Patent Pending LP up for pre-order now.

joe put up another blog about the vinyl on myspace:

Friday, December 14, 2007

Regarding the LP packaging and other things.

Just to preface this post I want to give a ridiculously large thank you to all the people who have written about how much they love the record and packaging and how psyched they were about their low number or what have you. You guys are the absolute best.

That being said, I've received a few emails and have been informed of people on message boards who are unsatisfied with the packaging of the Heavens vinyl. To be honest, I think it's a bit odd to complain about something that there's literally 1000 copies of and is hand numbered. Designing the labels, stickers, putting the stickers on the sleeve, numbering the records and dealing with the pressing plant who misprinted the record twice (causing me not to even get copies until the beginning of November) was probably not in my best interest...but I thought it should be available on vinyl and figured I would do it in a way that would satisfy me as well (being a band member and all). I truly dislike the cover that was released commercially, I originally wanted it to look similar to Eno's "Music For Films" and thought that a very minimalist look would suit the minimalist music. I guess it's hard to market an album with nothing on it so, voila-picture of a girl we don't know at the last minute because the covers need to get pressed. This time around I decided to make it look how it should, a classy electronic rock record that a dj might play. When I showed the design to my friends and band mates they all thought that it suited the album much better. I agreed. I definitely didn't have in mind that people would dislike it though, I buy two song 12"s that have absolutely no artwork all the time. Just part of a different culture I guess.

That also being said, if you truly do not like the design I will accept returns and refund you minus the shipping and handling. Or, you could always design your own cover! That way if it comes out in a way that you may not enjoy you can complain about it to yourself. It will truly be one of a kind.

An extra thank you to all the people who ordered outside of the U.S. because 99.9% of the angry emails I received were for domestic orders.

Joe

i don't really like how he keep talking about how limited it is. it's almost as if he's trying make it seem like we're lucky for getting one. anyway, i'm over it. i have my copy and there's nothing else that can be done about it.

Complete fucking doucheness. To bring up Jason Webley (yet again) he's done a limited 7" series where each 7" is limited to 1,111 copies (each numbered with stickers that Jason cuts out of a big fucking sheet and adheres to each cover). Each 7" is on colored vinyl and the cover is unique artwork done by Jason, as well as an insert with stories by the parties involved (usually Jason and another artist). In addition each 7" is accompanied with a CD (not CD-R) of the music on the 7", as well as various outtakes and B-sides. All of this costs $11.

I'm sorry he's involved in "electronic culture" and feels that $16 for a DJ sleeve is okay and people should be happy and shut up, but it's not a reasonable deal. He's dealing with mostly Alkaline Trio fans who have experience with Asian Man (and the likes) and are used to LP's costing $10 and having awesome packaging. For him to act surprised is horseshit.

Oh god this guy is sooooo off-base. This is not an electronic record its a fucking Alkaline Trio record for 90% of the people who buy it. I don't think he put the sticker on himself or he's got the steadiest hands known to man, that thing is just an arrow, at least mine is. They all look that way to me. The pressing plant did the sticker. Sure, writing on them all is a chore but fucking a this record's packaging is fucking lame and a total cop out and Joe is weak. He was going to sell them all, he knew it, so he did it as cheaply as possible. End. of. story.

• 2 weeks later...

I just had to dig this thread back up for more hilarity...Josiah posted a blog update on the Heavens myspace page:

Thursday, December 27, 2007

Last Vinyl Update (Most Likely). Maybe Last Blog Post (We’ll See)?

Every vinyl order up to the day before Christmas Eve has now been shipped (Aside from the contest winners, who should gladly put a picture of themselves not wearing a Heavens shirt up...you will still remain in the top 8 because I don't really have anyone else to put in there and you guys are as cool as ice).

All orders from now on (around 200 left, maybe a little less) will be shipped on the Tuesday after they are ordered. Once the last order is dispatched I will then be turning the page over to someone to accept friend requests and such. It will probably be something that happens about once a week which isn't too far off from how often I do it now. You will still be able to leave comments but messages will no longer be read. If some sort of dire situation comes up I'll post a bulletin but we really don't have anything planned (as the headline says). This doesn't necessarily mean that we'll never do anything again but just wanted to let people know in advance.

So...I think Alkaline Trio are making another record soon. I'm pretty sure anyone who likes this "band" are big fans so that's something for you to look forward to.

A final note to all the people who ordered vinyl: Take care of those things. There aren't many of them and I will not be pressing them again. Treat it like a small piece of art that you can also put on a turntable and have sounds come out of it. Or completely destroy them, I have no idea what I'm talking about.

Thank you.

J.S.

Guest scriptedrain

That guy just comes off as a snob / asshole everytime he types up something. Even though I like this record, I kind of wish I didn't give him the time of day or my money.

Treat it like a small piece of art that you can also put on a turntable and have sounds come out of it.

What a fuckface

he sure does think highly of it, doesn't he?

I just had to dig this thread back up for more hilarity...Josiah posted a blog update on the Heavens myspace page:

So...I think Alkaline Trio are making another record soon. I'm pretty sure anyone who likes this "band" are big fans so that's something for you to look forward to.

J.S.

"band"? Is the Alkaline Trio not a band now? He does realize that it's because that "band" has fans that any Heavens records were sold. The bulk of his records were sold to Trio collectors. We are paying his fucking bills....

JS is an ass.