VC 7" series/Message Board label/ Invest in VC

Guest admin1338560633

i love the ideas, but am curious about some logistics of number 2.

i'm certain i'm getting ahead of the game here, but how easy/difficult would it be to press any given record...

would we be limited to independent bands/labels that are easy to get ahold of? i'm assuming a band that has gone on to higher recognition (via popularity or signing with a major) would be out of the question?

how possible is it to press something that's long out of print/or extremely rare?

(eg: clutch s/t)

obviously there's plenty of time to work out specifics, i was just curious if the general idea is to stick to bands/albums that are easily obtainable or is the sky the limit?

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i love the ideas, but am curious about some logistics of number 2.

i'm certain i'm getting ahead of the game here, but how easy/difficult would it be to press any given record...

would we be limited to independent bands/labels that are easy to get ahold of? i'm assuming a band that has gone on to higher recognition (via popularity or signing with a major) would be out of the question?

how possible is it to press something that's long out of print/or extremely rare?

(eg: clutch s/t)

obviously there's plenty of time to work out specifics, i was just curious if the general idea is to stick to bands/albums that are easily obtainable or is the sky the limit?

there are some things that will have to be figured out. We would to get approvals from the labels and artists, but I think we could get a lot of the labels to agree. My early thoughts on titles that were already on vinyl is that we should focus on releases that have never been released on vinyl.

1.) I think the split idea is great as has been said in earlier threads. I also vote for a subscription. There's bound to be one or two splits that the interest is just not that great and you'll have tons of 7"s lying around the house. No one wants that. So make it a subscription and that way those records can lie around our houses. Also, that way you can continue to sell subscriptions for months after the club starts and just ship people the back "issues" and when they go out of print, drop the price a bit.

2.) I think that this is a great idea but it's going to need a little refining. Here's personally how i would set it up.

-- Thread is developed to pick out releases that could possibly be put out on vinyl

-- Moderators and Virgil compile a list of releases and narrow it down to the most talked about

-- Over the next month labels are contacted and permissions are gained for the albums

-- At the start of the next month, a list of the top 5 or 10 records that have been granted licensing rights is put up on the message board and the main site one week later.

-- The board gets first crack to pay their $10 for a rare copy of whichever record is picked with the general public going a week later

-- This way the regulars get their first shot, the public is encouraged to join the messageboard to get involved, and if you put voting on the main site you can require voters to list their e-mail address thereby building your mailing list to more potential customers

-- The voting runs for one month and the artist who gets the most votes "wins" and is pressed

-- The unpicked albums go back into the mix and it starts over again

-- I would recommend every three months at the most otherwise people will get REAL burned out

3) Get it done, let's see this thing succeed.

He does NOT do it for the kids.

I just meant the kids that ruin everything else on the internet. First!, gay, noob, etc.

I know, I was just kidding :)

Anyway, I like the ideas that are getting thrown around for #2, but I remember someone suggesting somewhere along the lines that we try to ensure some genre diversity, too, by changing up the options each time we went to pick a new release. I think that's a pretty decent idea, if it's possible.

to answer your question, I need to figure that out. Initially I had thought that it would be similar to taking it public but instead of assholes in suits it would be all the people who believe in what we do. There would be shares that cost x dollars and you would then buy how ever many shares. Profits would then be split up accordingly.

As I look into this more, it may or may not resemble the scenario above. I got my degree in molecular biology, not business, but I will be getting help from some business minded folks to set this up correctly. I will have more info soon.

I would love to own vinyl Collective stock. I'd buy tons O' penny stocks :)

I am in agreement that these ideas are awesome.

I like almost all of the bands mentioned for the 7" series. Teenage Bottlerocket is a must!!!

I like the idea of investing, but something troubles me. What percentage of buyers from the vinyl collective store are "regulars" that post on here a lot. I am worried that all the investors would make up something like 70% of VC business. Thus, the majority of the profit VC would be making would be off the investors. If this was the case this just turns into the pitch in to press vinyl records idea. It's kind of tough to explain, so I hope I did an OK job. I still like the idea, but am just trying to play devil's advocate.

I am in agreement that these ideas are awesome.

I like almost all of the bands mentioned for the 7" series. Teenage Bottlerocket is a must!!!

I like the idea of investing, but something troubles me. What percentage of buyers from the vinyl collective store are "regulars" that post on here a lot. I am worried that all the investors would make up something like 70% of VC business. Thus, the majority of the profit VC would be making would be off the investors. If this was the case this just turns into the pitch in to press vinyl records idea. It's kind of tough to explain, so I hope I did an OK job. I still like the idea, but am just trying to play devil's advocate.

the die hard boarders do make up a percentage of our customers, but it is not a huge percentage. Plus, part of the business plan / investments would be to make the number of customers who buy on a regular basis increase. I plan to analyze and over-analyze my strategeries and welcome any devil's advocates. I only want people to invest if they truly believe in the business plan.