My dad's record collection w/ pics (brag alert)

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

does he still listen to a lot of them?

Absolutely. His collection is never idle, he is always doing things with it. For example, he went through every single and marked the sleeve with either a "+", "o" or "-" so he knows if he liked it, thought it was ok, or disliked it. For both the A and B sides. He also marked it with an F, M or S so he knows if it's fast, medium, or slow. He is always doing something with his records.

Thats actually a pretty good idea.

Seriously? You don't like anything that was moderately popular between the 50s and 80s?

Depends on how you define "popular".

There's everything from the most popular/common releases to extremely obscure records in there. The Clash certainly falls under that scope. But who knows, maybe you really wouldn't want any of them. Just surprising, that's all

Depends on how you define "popular".

There's everything from the most popular/common releases to extremely obscure records in there. The Clash certainly falls under that scope. But who knows, maybe you really wouldn't want any of them. Just surprising, that's all

I pretty much only listen to punk (and it's sub genres like indie, hardcore, etc) and some hip hop. I don't like classic rock.

Looking at your father's collection reminded me of going to record shows in the 90's and sifting through miles of records to find nothing remotely interesting for me to buy. It was always very disheartening.

I pretty much only listen to punk (and it's sub genres like indie, hardcore, etc) and some hip hop. I don't like classic rock.

Looking at your father's collection reminded me of going to record shows in the 90's and sifting through miles of records to find nothing remotely interesting for me to buy. It was always very disheartening.

I know what you mean. You were lucky if there was one dealer that specialized in that kind of music and you'd better be there when the doors opened. There's a handful of indie singles that supposedly go for three figures in his collection. Those are obviously the exception to the rule.

That is seriously amazing. How does he acquire all this stuff? New? Used?

I bet there are some gems in there.

On a somewhat related note, my dad used to have an ok collection back in the day (although nowhere near as big as this). He got rid of it all over the years, but this year for Xmas he gave me his original, still-sealed copy of the Beatles' Abbey Road.

That is seriously amazing. How does he acquire all this stuff? New? Used?

I bet there are some gems in there.

On a somewhat related note, my dad used to have an ok collection back in the day (although nowhere near as big as this). He got rid of it all over the years, but this year for Xmas he gave me his original, still-sealed copy of the Beatles' Abbey Road.

He started buying records as a kid when rock and roll started around 1955. So some of his collection is what he purchased new throughout his life. I know he used to do a lot of trading when he was younger with his other record collecting friends. And he also sold off a ton of records after he got married due to space/money constraints. Which he regrets to this day because he has never seen many of those records again.

But primarily, the collection has become so large due to his never ending scouring of thrift stores. His parents grew up in the depression and he didn't grow up with money. So he typically got records at thrift stores or not at all. He's been going to local Goodwills, etc. since he was young. I remember going to them myself as a kid. Of course, there were hundreds and hundreds of records at them back then. I hate to refer to him as a collector because he won't pay more than $1 for an LP or 50 cents for a single. And it drives him nuts when singles are more than a quarter. You know, because they used to be a nickel or a dime. Only in the past couple of years have I been able to convince him to pay $2-$3 for a single at a place like Jerry's Records. It's safe to say that he couldn't possibly have less money invested in that collection.

I visit my parents once a week and I can't remember the last time he didn't have new records for me to look at. A couple of weeks ago, a lady he used to work with gave him her old albums, approximately 160 of them.

And these records are all in process. He plays every single album he gets the whole way through before he files it.

great philo, i do the same thing.... records don't get filed/added to the trade list until I've listened to them all the way thru

I do this too.

I don't own a single "sealed" or "unplayed" record.

And these records are all in process. He plays every single album he gets the whole way through before he files it.

great philo, i do the same thing.... records don't get filed/added to the trade list until I've listened to them all the way thru

I am sorta in the same boat...I do have some sealed stuff that I am holding onto for trades/to sell, but everything else is listened to at least once to ensure there are no playing issues.

Killer collection btw!