Jokes

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like how it's perfectly ok to mock women, and clearly Jews, but black people are off limits.

If you couldn't tell a joke that might offend someone, there'd be no jokes. So either this thread needs to stop, or people should be allowed to tell racist jokes. I don't understand why they're off limits.

If someone has a genuinely creative joke about black people I'd be shocked, however, I said racist jokes. I take issue w/ jokes about Jewish people too, but at least the pizza oven joke is creative. I agree with Parker. I think anything should be available for creative humor. But "cut the rope" jokes aren't in the least bit creative. At least put some effort into being an asshole.

I like how it's perfectly ok to mock women, and clearly Jews, but black people are off limits.

If you couldn't tell a joke that might offend someone, there'd be no jokes. So either this thread needs to stop, or people should be allowed to tell racist jokes. I don't understand why they're off limits.

If someone has a genuinely creative joke about black people I'd be shocked, however, I said racist jokes. I take issue w/ jokes about Jewish people too, but at least the pizza oven joke is creative.

I agree with the fact that if any age/gender/race should be open to tasteless jokes, then they all should. The line is drawn when you joke about killing people who have been systematically targeted and murdered through much of their histories. Dead babies are okay, though.

If someone has a genuinely creative joke about black people I'd be shocked, however, I said racist jokes. I take issue w/ jokes about Jewish people too, but at least the pizza oven joke is creative.

I agree with the fact that if any age/gender/race should be open to tasteless jokes, then they all should. The line is drawn when you joke about killing people who have been systematically targeted and murdered through much of their histories. Dead babies are okay, though.

That means no jokes about anyone regardless of their background. Humanity has been trying to systematically destroy other segments of humanity for decades. I'm profoundly sick of people acting as if persecution begins and ends with Israel. It's arrogant, and spits on the graves of the thousands of other people groups that have been systematically whipped out by saying they don't matter.

That means no jokes about anyone regardless of their background. Humanity has been trying to systematically destroy other segments of humanity for decades. I'm profoundly sick of people acting as if persecution begins and ends with Israel. It's arrogant, and spits on the graves of the thousands of other people groups that have been systematically whipped out by saying they don't matter.

Also none of this is to say that bad things haven't happened to the Jewish people. But you can't say they're the only people who you can't make jokes about because they're the only people who've been the victims of genocide.

I didn't say anything about just Israel. And if you want the honest truth, I was thinking more about African Americans. Really, I meant playing off of tragedy as a means to humor is plain wrong at worst, and not funny at best, no matter whom is the basis of the joke. And, for the record, I don't believe anyone's suffering is any better or worse than someone else's.

I didn't say anything about just Israel. And if you want the honest truth, I was thinking more about African Americans. Really, I meant playing off of tragedy as a means to humor is plain wrong at worst, and not funny at best, no matter whom is the basis of the joke. And, for the record, I don't believe anyone's suffering is any better or worse than someone else's.

That is officially the first time an argument here has swung that way. This is why I love Casey. Because homie is equally outraged over everything like I am. :)

However I do think finding humor in tragedy is fun. It provokes conversation. Like this one.

If someone has a genuinely creative joke about black people I'd be shocked, however, I said racist jokes. I take issue w/ jokes about Jewish people too, but at least the pizza oven joke is creative. I agree with Parker. I think anything should be available for creative humor. But "cut the rope" jokes aren't in the least bit creative. At least put some effort into being an asshole.

But creativity is a subjective thing. You can't accept humor that insults one culture/race but be offended when similar jokes are made about another without coming across as a hypocrite. Jokes about killing black people are essentially equivilent to jokes about killing Jews.

Also, it's been argued that gallows/black/disaster humor while somewhat reinforcing negative stereotypes and making light of normally taboo subject at the same time provides a sense of catharsis and shines a light on the ridiculousness of said stereotypes/taboos and actually helps to soften some of these sore spots. Aushawitz (horribly misspelled) humor actually developed in the camps because when you're that surround by bleakness and death and terror you have to find something to keep your hopes up, and that's what humor does best. If you can't laugh, then the world's a terrible fucking place. We mock what we fear to feel about it and diminish it, and most everybody fears death so that's why so many concentration camp jokes.

Sorry for the lecture, I wrote a paper on disaster jokes in college.

As consolation:

Q: What do you call a black guy flying a plane?

A: The pilot, you racist!

But creativity is a subjective thing. You can't accept humor that insults one culture/race but be offended when similar jokes are made about another without coming across as a hypocrite. Jokes about killing black people are essentially equivilent to jokes about killing Jews.

Also, it's been argued that gallows/black/disaster humor while somewhat reinforcing negative stereotypes and making light of normally taboo subject at the same time provides a sense of catharsis and shines a light on the ridiculousness of said stereotypes/taboos and actually helps to soften some of these sore spots. Aushawitz (horribly misspelled) humor actually developed in the camps because when you're that surround by bleakness and death and terror you have to find something to keep your hopes up, and that's what humor does best. If you can't laugh, then the world's a terrible fucking place. We mock what we fear to feel about it and diminish it, and most everybody fears death so that's why so many concentration camp jokes.

As consolation:

Q: What do you call a black guy flying a plane?

A: The pilot, you racist!

I know it doesn't sound like it, but I agree with everything you said. Also that joke is one of my favorites.

I hope your college paper had better spelling and grammar than your post. It's Auschwitz, by the way. ;)

Yeah, didn't want to google Auschwitz at work. I didn't proofread either, ha ha.

EDIT: I fucking spelled it wrong again, fuck!

^ About 4 or 5 years ago the high school I went to hosted an English rugby team, and there was a Welsh kid on the team that everyone called Sheep. I couldn't figure out why, so when we were all drunk, I asked another kid on the team where the nick-name came from, and then he explained that it was short for sheep-fucker, because apparently that's what the Welsh do with their spare time...