Putting out records for bands that are breaking up

So it looks like this is happening to me....

its cool im not pissed or anything but i want some advice from you my friends who buy records.

they have a 7" coming out and another 6 songs recorded. The band has about 6 more songs that are AMAZING.

Should i just do a download card with the 6 songs recorded, and include it in the 7" and possible use those for an LP?

Or

Just keep those songs and put out an LP?

the bands down to do whatever.

just wondering

THIS IS WHAT YOU DO:

Just release the songs digitally and for free.

If the songs are really amazing then over the next couple of years people will agree with you and start bitching on forums just like this that it's a shame the release never came out on Vinyl.

January 2011 you get an email from Virgil asking you if VC Co-op can release the bands Disco on an LP. You do nothing but sit back and get 15% of the pressings.

THIS IS WHAT YOU DO:

If the songs are really amazing then over the next couple of years people will agree with you and start bitching on forums just like this that it's a shame the release never came out on Vinyl.

January 2011 you get an email from Virgil asking you if VC Co-op can release the bands Disco on an LP. You do nothing but sit back and get 15% of the pressings.

See i kinda just wanted to put it out digitally and that be the end.

I really dont want to lose $$$ on it and feel like for the bands sound a THE END cd discography wouldnt be fitting.

Thanks for all the great suggestions so far.

THIS IS WHAT YOU DO:

I'm with this one. No real money on your end to be lost, people get the music, and if you see like 10K downloads maybe you think about doing something more.

It sounds like the 7" is coming regardless of what you do with the other songs, right? If so, totally just include a download card and if somewhere down the line the interest is there, put it out. But definitely no reason to take a risk if the band isn't a lock to sell out a pressing in a reasonable amount of time since all the promotion will be on you and I would imagine it would be hard to try and sell something for a band that doesn't exist unless they are really well-known.

There's only one reason you should EVER consider putting out records: to make money. Oh, and get laid. But making money is priority #1. These guys will never make you money. Unless it's Nirvana or something.

No but seriously, as you know putting out a record is a huge financial commitment and if the band can't do their part to get the record out there I don't see a real point in doing it. It's obviously not about money, but you want to attempt to at least recoup some of the costs. I don't know who the band is or what their following is but after you sell the first 50-100 copies to the band's friends and die hard fans then you're stuck with boxes of records you'll never get rid of. I'd make it a download and take that money and put out a record for an active band that is just as good that can play shows and help support the record.

I'm putting out my next release which happens to be by a non existent band. I really liked them and they never really got adequate promotion. I'm playing it safe by pressing 200 CD's, and getting inserts and unassembled sleeves to assemble myself. I just want to test the waters with it. I'm still giving them 20% of the pressing up front to give them incentive to promote it. It's a more local based release too, so that might help.

This is way different than a 7", but I hope it will end up showing that you can do posthumous releases by small unknown bands if you plan it right and start slow.